Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in 280 Remington

R Flowers

Handloader
Oct 23, 2004
I am surprised that none of you 280 Remington fans have mentioned that Remington is now chambering the 700 Mountain Rifle LSS in 280 Remington this year.

I noticed it in the latest Remington catalog and was quite pleased. That would make a darned nice rifle, to be sure. I cannot justify one as I just bought one a couple of years ago in 7-08 Remington.

My mountain rifle in 7-08 shoots much better than I thought it might with that scrawny little barrel. It shoots good groups and puts several different bullets to the same point of impact. It is a pleasure to walk the hills with.

You 280 fans had better grab one now, who knows what Remington will do next year.

Ha ha yah no kidding. One of my friends has an older BDL mountain rifle in .280 Rem. He said it shoots good for the first 2 shots, but after that the barrel is kinda warm and always throwns the 3rd out a ways. Hes tried plenty of different combos but that thin barrel has to be the culprit. It still shoots around 1.5", but the first 2 are always within .5". Good for a packing rifle which is what it was made for in the first place! Come to think of it, it should only take 1 or 2 shots anyways!!

Yup! When I had one in a 270 Win it diid the same thing.
Si I shot 4 shot groups. 2 wait to cool and 2 more. :lol:

My 280 mountain rifle would group 3/4 inch all day long with 140s, but it was a 1986/87 version, back when ALL REMINGTONS SHOT GOOD.

In the Remington catalog the listed weight for a 700 Mountain Rifle LSS chambered in 280 Remington is 6 5/8 pounds. The listed weight for the short action rifles is 6 1/2 pounds.

Interestingly enough, my Moutain Rifle in 7-08 shows none of the pencil thin barrel tendancy to throw the third shot out of the group. It shoots nice round, concentric groups that average about an inch. Matter of fact, it shoots so well with so many different bullets that I have shot a number of three shot groups using one 140 BT, one 140 PT, and one 140 AccuBond that measure between 1.25 and 1.5 inches.

My dad has two Weaitherby Ultralight rifles. The one chambered in 25-06 shows the third shot stringing pretty clearly. The latest one chambered in 257 Weatherby does not string the third shot at all. It commonly hits very close to the first shot in this rifle.

7mmfan":h3aaqiww said:
back when ALL REMINGTONS SHOT GOOD.

:?:

Well, I have been buying Remington rifles for over 30 years, my latest was three weeks ago...everyone has shot well (under 1 MOA, most will do .5 MOA from the bench...the best Remington hunting rifle I have had would group 3 shots into .85 of an inch at 300 yards from the bench, using a 12 power scope...I admit, that is unusual). Furthermore, while they are not a Kimber or Sako in fit or finish, I have never had trouble with any of them. They are good looking and great handling rifles. All I do is get the trigger set to 3.5# and go hunting or target shooting. IMO, for what they cost, there is not a better value out there.

7mmfan":19f2vr7v said:
back when ALL REMINGTONS SHOT GOOD.

:?:

Well, I have been buying Remington rifles for over 30 years, my latest was three weeks ago...everyone has shot well (under 1 MOA, most will do .5 MOA from the bench...the best Remington hunting rifle I have had would group 3 shots into .85 of an inch at 300 yards from the bench, using a 12 power scope...I admit, that is unusual). Furthermore, while they are not a Kimber or Sako in fit or finish, I have never had trouble with any of them. They are good looking and great handling rifles. All I do is get the trigger set to 3.5# and go hunting or target shooting. IMO, for what they cost, there is not a better value out there.

I have a fine custom .280 but have always wanted Rem. to come out w/ a 280 mountain. Time to go shopping! :shock:

I bought a 280 Remy Mountain Rifle last year and bagged a pig with it in June using 140 grain Accubonds (one shot kill). My best groups are 3 shot .75" groups. Remember it has a thin sporter barrel on it and you must give it plenty of time to cool between shots when shooting for tight groups. It's a very nice looking rifle and I like it very much.

R Flowers":33qsya1h said:
Interestingly enough, my Moutain Rifle in 7-08 shows none of the pencil thin barrel tendancy to throw the third shot out of the group. It shoots nice round, concentric groups that average about an inch. Matter of fact, it shoots so well with so many different bullets that I have shot a number of three shot groups using one 140 BT, one 140 PT, and one 140 AccuBond that measure between 1.25 and 1.5 inches.

That sounds about like my Mountain Rifle LSS in 7mm-08. Great rifle! Right now I'm not shooting it much, but I killed the majority of my deer with a 7mm-08, either this one or a Model 7... great caliber.

My 7mm-08 MR is consistant enough that I've always been afraid to float and bed it- afraid to mess up something that works! I will say that I find I shoot better offhand with a little heavier barrel. When I switched my M7 from 7-08 to .358 Win I could feel the difference right away- the heavier barrel made it steadier in the hand. That's about my only beef with M700 Mountain Rifles! I killed my first deer with a 30-06 MR. Love 'em!

Another interesting aside, or interesting to me anyway. When I sent my 30-06 MR off to Pac-Nor to have them rebarrel it, they accidentally matched the profile of the original, mountain barrel. I had wanted a standard sporter profile. They very quickly, I mean VERY quickly, made good on their mistake and as a bonus, since it was already headspaced to my action, they sent along the Supermatch mountain profile barrel! So if I ever shoot out my current pacnor barrel, which would really suck because I love it, I could have that one put back on it...
A Supermatch mountain rifle barrel... hmmm....

-jeff

-jeff

Back