Requirements and Reason for the Rifle I Built

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
I am not a bench man, shoot paper only to get my rifles ready for hunting as I check out my load work. I am a hunter and I wanted a good looking medium bore rifle, chambered in a cartridge that has a lot of authority, yet, would also allow me to build a rifle dedicated to the hunt. I don't want a long heavy scope. I know most shots in the field will be under 400yds most of the time and maybe on occasion at 600yds.

I like to get close but sometimes the terrian won't allow an approach and I might have to take a 500yds shot or maybe a 600yd shot (I will practice this year at 400, 500 and 600 before hunting season). I feel a varible in the power range from 2-10 or 3-9 is enough. In fact when I get to Africa again (Tanzania) if things shake out and also, if I get to go to Alaska in 2011, I will want lots of eye relief and the ability to have quick acquisition of my target, so the reticle is important to me as well, that is why I chose the # 4 reticle.

I like to spot and stalk in the mountains so I wanted a rifle that had lots of punch like the 340Wby to ride the wind and take any animal I am hunting with with quick results - but build one that did not weigh a ton (#2 instead of heavier barrel) making it unpleasant to carry in the field. I shot a white tail buck at 618yd shot using a VX-III 2.5-8x40mm 6 years ago out west. My left eye is 20/10 and my right eye is 20/20 and I can see very far off. I don't feel with my eyes that I need anymore than 40mm objective and the max power no more than 10 power. The most I want for minimum is nothing over 3 power, so as to meet the requirements that I have placed on my self and the hunt.

Hence the 340Wby that I had built:

340 Weatherby Magnum, German Mark V, 26" #2 Krieger Stainless barrel, McMillian stock, Picatinny base, Leupold PRW rings, Zeiss 3-9x40mm #4 reticle
CR340-1.jpg

CR340003.jpg

CR340004.jpg

CR340005.jpg

Mike, The scope you mentioned is fine. You'll never know how much I appreciated the Zeiss on that 375 Weatherby on our Safari last year. You know how to put a rifle together... there's no doubt about that. But that hammer of Thor you've just built is screaming for a variable scope of at least 4.5 X 14 with M1 dial and 30MM tube.

Desert Fox":je7h29a3 said:
Mike, The scope you mentioned is fine. You'll never know how much I appreciated the Zeiss on that 375 Weatherby on our Safari last year. You know how to put a rifle together... there's no doubt about that. But that hammer of Thor you've just built is screaming for a variable scope of at least 4.5 X 14 with M1 dial and 30MM tube.

Thank you for the compliment on putting a rifle together. I had a zeiss 4.5-14x50 but I do not want one on this rifle that I am also using for dangerous game. My hunt in 1991 in Tanzania and being charged has forever shaped my mind. I understand your points but handling and feel also mean a lot to me and I prefer the close shot, I try to get close to my game at all cost.

Only on a few occasions have I had to take a long shot on game to collect a trophy and I found the 40mm objective to more than meet my needs. My choice on scope is also to balance out the handling of my rifle to my touch and feel which this 3-9x40mm accomplishes in spades.

Your choice of scope does fit a need in a lot of ways and respects which it should and I know it would really fit you and how you like to shoot and hunt. Your the one who has to use it and get the job done according to your style of hunting and your particular needs. Even when I am out west my joy is to see just how close I can get to the game on the spot and stalk. The last bear I killed out there I spent all morning getting close and shot him at 90yds. What a rush.

I thought a lot about a different scope like Jerry's 6500 but I know how I like to go through all types of terrain and I just don't want a lot of scope on top my rifle, not Thor's Hammer. Thanks for the impute, it was interesting to read your take on the scope and you have some good points and I respect you opinion.

Mike,

FWIW, the Leupold Mark 4 4.5x14x40mm and the VX-3 3.5x10x40mm are the same length, 12.6". The Mark 4 weighs 16 oz and the VX-3 weighs 13 oz.The additional weight of the Mark 4 is due to the 30mm tube.

If you decide you want a little more scope, take a look at the Mark 4. It complements the ballistics of the 340 Wby very nicely.

JD338

JD, if I did go to any other scope those are nice. russ808, thank you :)

Bullet that is one of the sexiest rifles I have seen in a while. How muh do you think she weighs?

Having been to Africa I agree with your stance on the scope. Things are up close and personal over there, and things can happen really quick. When I went I had a 3.5-10 VXIII with at B&C. That was almost to much in a few spots. If I get a chance to go back I'll take a 2-8 max with a duplex. If any of the big five are on the list I'll go with a 1.5-5 on my 375R. If you get a chance to shoot over 200 yards over there it is a rare chance.

Well done on a great looking package. Let us know how it shoots.

jmad_81":gje55rvn said:
Bullet that is one of the sexiest rifles I have seen in a while. How muh do you think she weighs?

Having been to Africa I agree with your stance on the scope. Things are up close and personal over there, and things can happen really quick. When I went I had a 3.5-10 VXIII with at B&C. That was almost to much in a few spots. If I get a chance to go back I'll take a 2-8 max with a duplex. If any of the big five are on the list I'll go with a 1.5-5 on my 375R. If you get a chance to shoot over 200 yards over there it is a rare chance.

Well done on a great looking package. Let us know how it shoots.

Yes, that is the case over there for sure. That is why 3 power is as high as I will go on a scopes low end. It will weigh with scope 8 3/4 to 9 pounds.

Nice build Bullet. It looks like a first class rig. I really like the stock.

It sounds like you plan alot of great hunts for this rifle, and that can complicate the selection of optics. Nightforce makes both a 2.5-10x and 3.5-15x. Either one would maintain the spirit of your 3x min, but have the M1 dials and 30mm tube.

Antelope_Sniper":u75siw1k said:
Nice build Bullet. It looks like a first class rig. I really like the stock.

It sounds like you plan alot of great hunts for this rifle, and that can complicate the selection of optics. Nightforce makes both a 2.5-10x and 3.5-15x. Either one would maintain the spirit of your 3x min, but have the M1 dials and 30mm tube.

Night force is to heavy and even if a scope is not real heavy but has a big objective it throws off the ergonomics of the rifle and it does hinder fast acquisition. I can't tell you how many times in my life I have had to throw up and take a shot almost as soon as the rifle was on my shoulder. I need an all around scope because my hunting is so varied and changing. That is why I don't choose my favorite which is 1.5-6x36mm and why I don't choose what the scope that most of you who like to be set up before you take your shots use. The 3-9x40mm is not the perfect scope by any stretch it is at best a compromise but it covers all the bases of my hunting style. That is the best way I can explain it.

Guy Miner":3n90zgv3 said:
Fine looking rifle & scope combo. Danged near perfect I'd say.

Thanks Guy, should be fun to use, I am looking forward to it.

I have hunted and reloaded in these 34 years everything from a 22-250 - a 416Wby and 458Win. Since I have run the gauntlet of cartridges I have come to know that the 340Wby is with out a doubt a stopping place. Not because it is a compromise but because it really can do it all from deer to big bears and Bison to boot and dispatch them quickly.

Hopefully, I can settle with this rifle to do most of my work for the rest of my life and I think Nancy my wife would kind of like to see this also. When I took the rifle out of the box she look at it and said, "that sure is a pretty and nice looking rifle." Amazing indeed, that is the only time in my life that she has said a rifle of mine was pretty or looked nice. I will have to admit that at this point in my life I am tired of looking for the wonder rifle and cartridge. I guess I am beginning to finally mature when it comes to guns. Maybe a better way to put it, is I need rest from years of pursuing the illusive rifle. That is what it is - ILLUSIVE FOR SURE. Also, tired of getting it just like I want it with ergonomics, type of rifle, loads, scope. It is time to rest. Once this is done and I get this one like I want it, I plan on being just one boring hunter who just hunts and hunts and hunts. What do I owe all you guys for this counseling session? :)

It is time to rest. Once this is done and I get this one like I want it, I plan on being just one boring hunter who just hunts and hunts and hunts. What do I owe all you guys for this counseling session? Smile

a lot of hunting stories with photos. :grin: :lol:

JD338

JD338":1avc6nfh said:
It is time to rest. Once this is done and I get this one like I want it, I plan on being just one boring hunter who just hunts and hunts and hunts. What do I owe all you guys for this counseling session? Smile

a lot of hunting stories with photos. :grin: :lol:

JD338

Now I think I can afford that :)

What ever you hunt will be well within that rifles dominance. It looks like a shooter :)
I always thought that it would be the ultimate elk rifle. I'm not sure that I don't still think so. But the 375RUM sings the siren song to me still. She hasn't let me down yet :grin:
Greg

Back