Resizing question

NTM":3801trur said:
rick smith":3801trur said:
I don't have a problem with what Nosler said. There is a better way to neck size, that is without modifying the body. If you don't understand that principal then you should follow their instructions. Instructions in manuals and those that come with die sets are generalized in nature. Once one learns the ins/outs, he/she will look for a better way to acomplish the task at hand. A prime example is setting a FL die. Not a single one of my FL dies are set by the instructions that came with the die set. I set them to bump the shoulder back 0.001-0.002" after the cases become tight to bolt closure. I don't just run the die down to touch the shell holder and then another 1/8-1/4 turn. Otherwise I just neck size.
If you don't care to try what I posted, I don't have a problem with that. Some loaders don't care to learn anything new. Post what you want, load as you want. Doesn't bother me at all. I answer questions based on what I do myself and know to work not on something I have read.Rick.

rick

Would this work on most calibers? I have rums, wsm, weatherbys, win.mags etc. I know in my 300wsm the only way I can get the reloads to chamber is if I take 2-3 thou. off of the shell holder and fl resize. Is this a rifle with a tight chamber or are most wsm's like this?

I hate to say this but if you have to take 2-3 thou off the shell holder to get the rd to chamber something wrong.

rick smith":3bim2h95 said:
NTM, If the regular die will size them to fit your chamber, as you indicated, you don't need a small base die. No reason to oversize your brass.Rick.

I think that it is the expander ball pulling the shoulder back abit. I lightly polished teh expander ball and made sure that the necks were lubed and it seems to work fine now. I think though that after reading the posts on here that I wil get a neck sizer for it.

30-338

I think that this rifle has abit of a tight chamber as when I bought it I got a box of factory federal with it and 3 of those would not chamber at all and a couple more were tight. I have heard of this from other wsm owners and that is where I heard of taking a couple thou off of the shell holder.

boomer68, I like to use Redding's type "S" bushing neck sizing dies for the calibers available. Order the bushings when you order the die. Some people think the bushings are supplied with the dies, they are seperate. To find the size bushings you need, measure the neck OD of a loaded round in several places on the neck, use brass from the same lot you are loading. Subtract 0.001" and 0.002" from the number you measured and order those two bushings. A change in the neck constriction can effect group size. I think most of the bushings I use are 0.002" smaller than neck OD of a loaded round.

NTM, glad you were able to solve the sizing issue. Redding makes competition shellholders that allow you to control headspace with a change of shellholder. They are a little expensive but work.Rick.

rick smith":32jn7e6o said:
NTM, glad you were able to solve the sizing issue. Redding makes competition shellholders that allow you to control headspace with a change of shellholder. They are a little expensive but work.Rick.

Thanks for all the help Rick.

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the info. Do you buy the die set (seater and sizer) or do you prefer another seater die? I have tried partial sizing with FL dies, but agree, they are not the best option. I have also tried the Lee Collet, but so many of my calibers are not made. I could order custom I guess.

Ian

rick smith":2pgitd2s said:
boomer68, I like to use Redding's type "S" bushing neck sizing dies for the calibers available. Order the bushings when you order the die. Some people think the bushings are supplied with the dies, they are seperate. To find the size bushings you need, measure the neck OD of a loaded round in several places on the neck, use brass from the same lot you are loading. Subtract 0.001" and 0.002" from the number you measured and order those two bushings. A change in the neck constriction can effect group size. I think most of the bushings I use are 0.002" smaller than neck OD of a loaded round.

My normal die set is a Redding body die, Type "S" neck sizing die and either a Redding or Forster competition seater. If either company doesn't make the ones I need, I will substitute. I had a 257WSM made so use a 300WSWM body die for any FL sizing, A 300WSM type "S" neck die with the approprite bushing, can't remember what I use for seating, will have to go to the shop to find out.Rick.

Back