Rifle cleaning

I use Butch's or Shooter's Choice MC7 as a general solvent, Sweets 7.62 for copper fouling and Rem Oil.

JD338

As of late I have been using a product called "Copper Gone", supposedly used by the British sniper school and the strongest solvent on the market. The ammonia will literally take your breath away. Works very well for me, what used to take hours with stuff like CR10 and Shooters Choice etc now takes less than half and hour.
Run a little WD-40 through to neutralize the ammonia and good to go.

When working with customers' guns, I use Butch's Bore Shine. It is simple, and since most people don't have to clean as frequently as I do, it works very well. For my own rifles, I always clean first with Hoppes or G96 Nitro Solvent to remove carbon and any lead. Then, if I am working with a chromoly steel barrel under 33 calibre, it will be cleaned with either Sweet's 7.62 or Barnes CR-10. If the barrel is stainless steel, I clean with Sweet's 7.62, as CR-10 will darken some stainless barrels. For any barrels over 33 calibre, I have found that G96 Copper Solvent works best. I don't really know the reason for this observation, but it has held for quite a few years. All my 35 calibre rifles are cleaned with G96 Copper Solvent and it requires significantly fewer passes than when I use any other solvent.

If you use WD-40, be aware that it gums up. Not a good thing with triggers.

JD338

I discovered Hoppes and Gunslick Foaming bore cleaner. I am a happy camper. Spray it in let it work for 30 min. push it out and your bore is clean. I use Hoppes #9 and Break Free some times on some rifles but mostly on pistols.

"Wipe out" as directed with a follow -up of CLP Break Free. Unless I'm home sick then I follow the Wipe out with old hopes #9, then CLP. That and Grandpa's old plaid jacket and I can almost see Dad cleaning that old 7-mag.

I clean my rifles at the end of the season or if accuracy falls off. I have been using WipeOut for several years now. I cannot see using anything else. It just doesn't come any easier.

Long

Montana Extreme copper remover. Sometime CR10 or 7.62 or ever Hoppe's Benchrest 9. I have a ton of different cleaning solutions.

WipeOut, Hoppes, BBS, BF-CLP, are my main cleaners/solvents. I only clean the bore when accuracy start to fall off. Each barrel is different, so it varies on how many rounds that is.

Dave

I used Montana Extreme for Bore Fouling and 50BMG for cleaning copper. Then I use Gunzilla to lube it. Scotty

I use milfoam forrest bore cleaning foam

Interesting looking system, Kuula. I see it is distributed in the US by ATK (GunSlick). I'll have to see if I can get some up into this neck of the woods.

It is very handy, fill youre barrel with foam and wait about 15min. and then clean with patches long as they are dirty and after that use some oil. The foam turns blue if there was copper in the barrel. i tried the foam about 3 or 4 years ago and been using it ever since :)

That sounds very much like Wipe Out or Outers Foaming Bore Cleaner. I wonder if the Milfoam Bore Cleaning Foam is the same product, marketed under another name, as the Outers Foaming Bore Cleaner (since both are marketed by ATK)? I know these products work. However, I seldom use them as even with an accelerator I would need to spend too much time when working at the range. I do recommend them to people, however.

Back