Rifles on your "want" list?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
In recent years I seem to be selling more rifles & handguns rather than buying. Shotgun situation seems to have stabilized many years ago.

What's left on your rifle "want list" ?

Three general categories keep capturing my interest:

1. Single shot, of an old style, either original or more likely a modern version. Sharps? Most intrigued though by the old Remington rolling block design, likely since I grew up with one on the wall. This would be primarily a range toy, though in the right situation, I could see hunting with it as well.

2. Long-barreled .30-30 Marlin - which I could fit with a tang sight for longish range play at the gun club.

3. NM quality AR-15 to help me get back into the NRA Highpower competition game. This time with a 5.56 semi-auto instead of the .308 bolt action match rifle.

That's about it - though a lighter, and lighter-recoiling version of the Ruger Number One, also appeals as a general purpose hunting rifle. I'm thinking something like a 7x57 or a .30-06 or similar...

How about you? What's on your rifle "want" list?

Guy

Some thing Sedgley. A Whelen on a Springfield. I have a crudely done Springfield sporter for it . Just need the funds.
Would really like a pair of light weight mountain rifles, a .280 and a .338-06.
Lastly, a Marlin .44 Mag carbine just because.

I never thought I would say this but not a single one. I have way more than I need.

My wants will likely never go away. I have an 8X68S on the go right now. It is being built on a Model 70 action. It is likely to be my last build. In fact, I'm seriously considering divesting myself of some of my collection over the coming few years.

I am really quite content right now & we all know that our wants are definitely not our needs :wink:
If I could do one more build I think it would be a 7mm-08 so that my grandchildren could use it would they first start out.

Blessings,
Dan

A droplock Westley Richards of a vintage year in a .450Nitro or .470 Nitro. It is on my "want" list but there a a long way yet to walk.

M700 LSS 375 RUM
M70 Super Grade 264 Win Mag
M48 Heritage 28 Nosler
Ruger 44 Carbine 44 Rem Mag
S&W 629 Back Packer 44 Rem Mag

JD338

I "think" I've got basically everything I want other than a Marlin 39A lever rifle. Every gunshow I attend I'm looking but no luck yet. If I can "fall" into one like I did with my Model 94 I'll be extremely happy.

45-70 Henry Lever made in Rice Lake, WI
.20 cal of some kind, maybe 20 Practical
A WSM of some flavor. I do not own one or need one but it would be cool to have

I think I would want a few more Pre 64's. Maybe a 243 or 257 Roberts, then a 300 H&H or Win Mag, and to top it all off, a 375 or better yet a 458 Win Mag.. Any combo of those three would be really cool to me. Maybe a Super Grade or something with one of them. Heck, I would even take a Super Grade 30-06...

I think I could gladly welcome a 6mm Remington into my home that was built on the 03-A3 action I have sitting around. That or the same caliber on one of the Montana Rifle Company models.

SJB358":1uj7utr5 said:
Heck, I would even take a Super Grade 30-06...

Hey, did Hell just freeze over? :shock: I am stunned! Positively stunned! Gotta' find my heart medication. Martha, I feel the big one coming on. :mrgreen:

I'm not choosy when it comes to Super Grades David. I'd make it work in whatever cartridge it was chambered in.

Scotty you better go run and grab your 270wsm and let her know it's okay.. :)

Unless you were going to turn it into a Whelen..... now that is a different story!

I only have one or two that I really really want.

A double rifle. Holland and Holland. Not sure that one will ever come to fruition. Maybe if I fake my death and cash in on my insurance policies.

Crap I just remembered another one. My buddy has two that I would love to have either one of. Guy made me think of this. He has an old Rolling Block action that our gunsmith buddy made into a beautiful rifle. The gunsmith (Different one from the guy who built my .280 AI) used a piece of walnut from his place back east where he used to live that he had sitting around forever. He made the stock, finished it, and did the checkering. I believe he also color case hardened it. It is gorgeous and it's in 45-70!! My friend who owns it shot a really nice 14" antelope with it at about 200 yards! Pretty darn cool. The other one is a Marlin lever action in 45-70. That's a sweet rifle also.

Most anything pre 64 model 70. Starting with a 300 H&H and high on the list is a pre-war .270 or 30.06 that hasn't been altered.

A 9.3 x 62 built by Martini or a Holland and Holland built double.( either a 300 H & H or 375 H & H )

If those never become financially available to me then maybe a 35 Whelen and a white bear hunt with Dr Mike

A ruger M77 RSI in 250-3000 Savage
A Ruger or Browning single shot (Preferably stainless- also in 250)
I have held both of these- no money
I wanna try a .17 Hornet
Browning Auto .22 or a browning T straight pull bolt
A marlin Model 99 c (again)
Any rifle w/ a Maple stock

Honestly- I can live easily w/o all of these.

I wanna shoot Dads &Mag before it gets sold or given away, Same thing with his 6.5 Jap.

Back