Right bullet for 300 win mag

c. schutte

Handloader
Jan 24, 2012
About to start loading for a 300 wm and am tossing around what would be the best bullet. All that has been sent down the tube on this rifle has been factory ammo with 180 grain bullets; it likes them the best. I'm more than happy sticking with them or would consider a 200 grain too.

Even though this rifle is no longer my "go to" elk rifle I want it loaded to handle whatever game is in front of it. So it might see elk or deer sized animals. For that reason 180 to 200 grains is what I am sold on. Of those two grains, would you guys recommend the Partition or AccuBond?

Yeah I know, not a lot of difference to go with here. :lol:

Yup, Partition or AB, you can throw in the A-Frame also. I have had great success on elk with the 180 since the early 60"s and I still use it to day in my primary elk rifle, my 300 WM. If you were looking at elk and "big" bears I would go with the 200 grain, but either will do the job. I am curious as to why your moving yours back to second place?

Elkman":3q9sa9f3 said:
Yup, Partition or AB, you can throw in the A-Frame also. I have had great success on elk with the 180 since the early 60"s and I still use it to day in my primary elk rifle, my 300 WM. If you were looking at elk and "big" bears I would go with the 200 grain, but either will do the job. I am curious as to why your moving yours back to second place?

Good question and the reason is a .340 wby and 9.3x64 have taken residence in my gun safe since that 300 win mag. The .340 is the starter for the next elk hunt then the 9.3.

Question regarding the Partition and since you have a coffee can full of partitions, you would be the best reference for this one: Will the lead noses of the Partition get deformed when in the magazine? This is a Remington 700 so I do not have to worry about a tube mag. For sure the AccuBond won't be an issue but, I can't see how recoil would damage the PT unless carried in a coat pocket.

Thanks..........chs

c. Yes they do, primarily the ones in the magazine when you are shooting. I have read several references stating that it really doesn't effect the accuracy or performance. I really don't have very many as they typically pass through.

Chuck, Bill and David gave you great scoop. I'd add the 180 Scirocco into the mix as well. I don't think you'll run into as much of a problem with battered tips on the Partition in your Remington since it has a little longer Mag box than the 70's came with. Plus, like Bill mentioned I've never found the tip being a little bumped up to mean anything out to 600 yards.

I've got just as much confidence in the Accubonds as I do the Partitions these days. Seen enough of them dug out of animals now that I'd not worry about either. Same for the Swifts.

I'd think you should easily get 3050 or better with any of the 180's and 2950 or so with the 200's. Not much (scratch that, Anything) the 300 Win can't do with any of those Bullets on our continent and probably the rest of them too :lol:

Just for something to do, try out the 200 grain AccuBond. I have always thought that weight bullet to be a great combination with the 300's.

The advice you've received is spot on. The 180 grain bullets will perform very well in your rifle. I wouldn't worry about deformation of the Partition; it has never hurt anything in any rifle I was shooting. I have recently begun shoot 200 grain bullets in my 300 WSM. They provide surprising accuracy. I don't know that they give me anymore killing power, but it was something to play with.

Chuck take a peek at our bullet test thread. You may see something you like or flips your wig on there in order to make a choice. There is no wrong answer with any of your picks.

I had the same thing in my 300 H&H Mag. I was using Nosler 180gr Partition but I did not like flattened tips. I went to Acubonds 180gr at just over 3000 FPS. If I was ever lucky enough to get to hunt a Brown Bear I would use Swifts 200gr A-Frame bonded bullet, till then Nosler's 180gr Acubonded bullet is perfect for me.

When I saw the title of this thread the 200 gr Partition and AccuBond came to mind immediately. The 180 gr Swift has a good reputation on being a tough bullet too.

Tough to beat the 180 gr AB for the 300 WM.
The 250 gr AB is an excellent choice for the 340 Weatherby.

JD338

I started out with the 180's, they were just fine. I ended up switching to the 200 grain Partitions, and they actually shot a bit better. I think I may try the 200 grain AB next.

Last year I played with the 220 grain Partitions. Just using plain old IMR 4350 (using Nosler load data), and was surprised to get into the mid 2700's for speed. I was even more surprised that those bullets shot the tightest 100 yard groups out of everything I've tried (in a factory Ruger M77).

Ballistically, I think the 180 or 200 is just about perfect for the 300 winnie. I will likely stick with the 200 grain'ers

The 180gr Protected Point Partition was designed for the 300 Winchester magnum. Unless you need the bone breaking power of the 200gr Partition or the longer range power of the 180-200gr Accubonds As a general hunting bullet the PP 180gr is as near perfect as a bullet can be.

baltz526":dg24r3vg said:
The 180gr Protected Point Partition was designed for the 300 Winchester magnum. Unless you need the bone breaking power of the 200gr Partition or the longer range power of the 180-200gr Accubonds As a general hunting bullet the PP 180gr is as near perfect as a bullet can be.

Good point. My reservation would be the reduction in B.C.

Thanks for all the replies.

I will add the 165 grain to the list. My .300WM did double duty for about 15 years as I bought it for a elk rifle but used it extensively at home for whitetails. I loaded 180 grain bullets for my elk hunting and I was completely satisfied at their performance and accuracy. I have gotten pass throughs beyond 400 yards with the 180. Now if I hunted in big bear territory I might opt for the 200 grain, but I always match my bullet to the game.
I have taken my biggest buck, and made my longest shots with the 165 grain bullets.
My 165 grain loads are under .5 consistently loaded max with IMR 4350.
The 180 load is .5 to .550 consistently also, and it is also loaded max with IMR 4350.

I use both 180 NPT and NAB. They shoot great but have never been able to get the velocity advertised, however the animals cant tell. They seem to like the load on the heavy side right at Max.

Thanks for all the replies,

This has been a good rifle for me and was bought for my first elk hunt. At the time I did not load so used factory ammo. Tried something that had a 180 grain PT stacked on top but, it did not shoot well. Finally ended up with two factory offerings that shot extremely well, both 180 grain. I could load one of them for sure but, each of those bullets left me wanting in one area or another.

You folks have pretty much echoed my thoughts and it is awful nice to hear from so many with real experience. Leaning toward the 180 grain AccuBond because this rifle will become my all weather/rough country hunting rifle. It's got a tough-as-nails composite stock so any hunt that has belly crawling/rock-scratching or any other hard use will see this rifle! Most likely deer, aoudad and maybe an elk.

If I am ever lucky enough to do a big bear hunt that .340 wby or the 9.3x64 will pony up. The .340 is pushing a 240 grain NF at 3027fps and the 9.3x64 is sporting a 250 AccuBond @ 2750 fps. After testing both of those bullets I've no doubt they could handle anything on this side of the pond.

I say that while never standing in front of a big brown bear...................... :shock: :lol:

I think you'd like the 180 AB or 200. Honestly whichever one you can get a bunch of at SPS is usually the way I roll.

I've got a ton of bunch of the along with 180 and 200 Partitions. Any of those 4 would be great. I doubt you'd ever have to blame the bullet.

Back