Rollin' His Own

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
My grandson, Noah, is staying with me this summer. He is pretty keen to stay long enough to shoot a moose. Last week, he completed his hunter training, getting a very high score. He was pretty stoked. He phoned his Mom and his grandmother to tell them and to suggest to his mom that she clean out the freezer as he would need room for a moose. Wow! I really like ambition! I am taking him to the range soon. I told him that he would need to roll his own. Of course, nothing would do but that we hop on it today. Here he is throughout the day.

Prepping brass

Sizing brass

Seating Bullets

Finished Product (140 grain Partitions and 130 grain Sciroccos)

Looks like a 260 Rem, excellent choice. Both of the bullets selected are outstanding from my experience and will bring down a moose nicely. Hope it all works out for you both on August 15 :) Congrats to Noah on doing so well with the hunter training.

Yup, .260 Rem. Though he is wrong-eyed, the little ol' Model 7 will just have to be shot backwards until we can get him set up with something else. I'm looking at a T/C chambered in 7mm-08 for the immediate future. I'll take a look at a left-handed Tikka later. It has been a very good summer. He is a joy to have around. He is all boy, and very inquisitive. Well, he might as well put some of that inquisitive nature to work. I'm quite pleased that he is very careful at the bench.

Nice going! What a great way (and time) to introduce him to the world of shooting. BT

Doc that is so cool :) I can't wait until my grandchildren get to that stage!! He has the perfect teacher with grandpa.

Blessings,
Dan

And so it begins, a lifetime of wondering " what if ?" , tinkering and trying to cut .010 off a 100 yard group.

Thanks for passing it on to the next generation Dr Mike.
There before you stands the future of conservation on this continent.

We went shooting today. His rifle isn't exactly a tack driver, but the ammunition delivered great ballistic data. We'll work on the rifle. In the interim, we'll be looking for a good single shot for deer this fall.

I love it! Great pictures and that is so cool. I sure hope he gets a Moose, man, what a summer that would be and one for the rest of his life to remember that wonderful grandfather. :)

Thought I'd throw in this shot of Noah as he sighted in the rifle using the ammunition he built.

He is pretty excited about coming back up this fall to see if he can tag a whitetail. I'm pretty high on seeing if I can help him get one. August 15th sees moose open; he is pretty focused on tagging one. Each evening as we pray, he asks God to let us get a moose on opening day.

Thank you, Mike. He has decided to complete his firearms course next month so he can tote his own rifle rather than borrowing one from me. Each Canadian province requires a hunter safety course, and to purchase or borrow firearms, the federal government requires a firearms safety course covering safety and familiarity with federal law. He is able to hunt on my licence at this time, but he is pretty intent on getting his own licence. So, he is applying himself with what I see as amazing intensity. He can't get enough of instruction in firearms at this time, and I do want to give him all the time I am able to give. Plus, I really enjoy this enthusiasm for the sport. Grandma will be home from Vancouver in a few days, and I imagine she'll be making a trip to the range with us. I'm continuing work on the .260 for him, and focusing on a newer .300 WSM and a newer .280 Rem, neither of which is blooded--yet. I still have to work with the 7 Mauser.

Doc, I sure like the way that young lad looks down the barrel. If that rifle had the bolt on the proper side he would have looked like a natural 8) .
I think that grandpa should be looking for a Tikka in the 270 WSM :wink: I just received those 150gr. ABLRs and the BC is over 600 that would be ideal for Deer, Elk & Moose.

Blessings,
Dan

DrMike, I am wrong eyed and learned to shoot a rifle with my (R) non-dominant eye. I shot a pistol left eyed and a shotgun?

Good point, Charlie. It can be done, I know. Dan, I wouldn't mind a 270WSM for him. I would have to make adjustment for the stock to allow it to fit, though. This is a work in progress. Also, I know that by next year he will have grown quite a bit, which alters the equation again.

Back