Ruger Number One Discontinued?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Lots of talk over on 24 Hour Campfire about the Ruger Number One being discontinued. :(

If so, I'm very glad that I still have one, and wish I'd never sold the other three...

Guy

Very nice, Guy.
I still like many of the older Ruger singles and bolt-guns. Over the years they have served me well, never failing to get the job done!

Jim

I've always wanted a #1. To me they are possibly the most beautiful factory rifle. Wish I had one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the rumors of them being discontinued soon are true... Might be smart to shop now. I suspect the values of used #1's will rise.

They have been an exclusive of Lipsey's for some time. The discontinuance is Lipsey not placing any more orders. Ruger has not been out promoting them for quite a while. Their profits are being driven by other products. I too love the #1 as I do the #3. However I only ever purchased one #1 new. To lament their passing w/o being a regular purchaser seems a bit off the mark for me. There are a number of new in box rifles out there and more used ones. I too expect it likely prices will spike a little bit for a time and then seek a more reasonable level. There wasn't a consumer outcry for a single shot when it came out. It was a creation of Bill Sr.'s passion and he pretty much single-handedly created the market. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it has. Attached pics are my only #1 purchased new.

Attachments

• 1HBuff1.jpg
    1HBuff1.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 2,351
  • 1HBuff2.jpg
    1HBuff2.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 2,351
  • 1HBuff3.jpg
    1HBuff3.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 2,351
  • 1HBuff4.jpg
    1HBuff4.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 2,351
P.S. - It could be for sale at an inflated speculative price. :twisted:
It is complete w/ box & papers and remains unfired.

I've had two...let the 22-250 V go, but the 45-70 Sporter is here to stay. Sad to see them go though.

If so, add another to the list I will never own....... :? :( :( :( :( CL
NO RSI in 250 Savage
No model 70

:cry: :cry:

It's a shame that wood stocked rifles will be more and more rare, unless you do a custom job. I have 3 No 1's, 2 in 7x57 and the latest in 6.5x55. I really don't have a desire for another one but that could always change someday. I know the market seems to be geared towards synthetic stocks these days but they really don't do anything for me at all. If the museum in Cody were full of plastic guns with no character I wouldn't waste my time. Hopefully they will continue to manufacture some every year, even if it's on a limited edition series.

Why discontinue a classic with a large following? Does not make much sense to me. In fact the difference between the Ruger American and the Ruger #1 in quality is ridiculous.
One is " let's make America cheap again" the other is " Lets make America Great again"...
Sorry boys couldn't help my self. Lol it is true though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cloverleaf":11mvut9c said:
If so, add another to the list I will never own....... :? :( :( :( :( CL
NO RSI in 250 Savage
No model 70

:cry: :cry:

What's stopping you from owning a Model 70, CL??

The only one I have left.

Limited one 1V 223 1:8 twist 26"heavy tube SS with wood

I've been buying Ruger #1's for a while now, mostly second hand guns so have a few. Would likes to have found a few more "S" models but apparently Ruger was stingy as hell with that version. I have two, both in .300 Win. Mag, plus a "B" model, also a .300 Win. Mag. Two are tack drivers with the 200 gr. Super Hot Core and the third, a Liberty model just has not been shot yet for some unknown reason. I have a few "A" models in .243, .270 Win. and 7x57 but the rest except one are "B" models. The exception is a "V" model in .223 Rem. and shoots .25" groups all day long.
Yes I do hunt with them and am especially fond of the 7x57 and .300 Mag. "S".
I'm sad to see them go but since Bill Ruger Sr. passed, the bean counters have taken over. From something I heard, the #1 was a bit of a loss per gun anyway and even more so in the Lipsey's limited editions. Sure wish I'd snagged one of the .35 Whelens though. Guess I'll just have to haunt the gun shows and see what I can find and hope to not sell one of the kids into slavery to pay for it.
Paul B.

For those not owning a #1 and wish to check it out from the beginning, get a copy of
Ruger No. 1, by J.D. Clayton. I got an autographed issue in 1983. I don't know how many copies were printed, but I have not seen but one other copy. There's about 190 pages of everything you always wanted to know about No. 1s. A good read,

Jim

Update; There were a few 1000 printed including the soft-cover issues and can be found on Ebay and other places.

Jim

Brand new ones are running $1800 plus tax up here so they have effectively priced me out of the market. The two I had were a lot less about 8-10 years ago both stainless laminates, a 1 S in 45/70 and a 1 B in 300 Win Mag. I probably should have kept the 300 WM but man it was heavy. If I could ever find a 1 A in 222 Rem or 303 British at a good price it would be nice, or a stainless laminate again in 30-06 or 300 Win mag.

I've had several through the years...unfortunately, I never had one w/o a "spongey trigger", and only a few were very accurate. I would like a #1 Medium in 9.3x62 "if" it had a good trigger or a replacement was available. It may be, I just haven't researched it.

Just saw a whole rack of them at Cabelas in Columbus.
There was an RSI in 257 Roberts that had me twitching a little.

Saw one in the "used rifle" rack @ Cabelas, Hazelwood, MO store this morning. It's a No. 1 marked in 450 N.E. 3 1/4". Pretty nice,

Jim

Back