Savage "edge" ....opinions?

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
Anybody have one of these? How do they shoot/feel. Its a toss up between this and a used stevens 200 or a new Marlin which I kinda like. All right at $300.00 (probably wont pull the trigger on any of them but a guy can drem cant he?) CL

CL -
I haven't shot an Edge, but have been playing with a Marlin XS7 in .243 for a couple months that shoots lights out. It has an accu-trigger version that Marlin uses that isn't bad either. Money saving comes in the crappy stock they put on these rifles.

257 Ackley":jhq08mih said:
CL -
I haven't shot an Edge, but have been playing with a Marlin XS7 in .243 for a couple months that shoots lights out. It has an accu-trigger version that Marlin uses that isn't bad either. Money saving comes in the crappy stock they put on these rifles.

I love those Marlin Bolt guns. They are some very well built rifles, metal wise. Those cheap plastic stocks can be replaced with a nice laminated stock for not too much extra money. They come with good scope bases, pillars, and a great trigger. If I was buying a budget priced rifle for hunting, the Marlin would be my choice, hands down.

Almost picked one up in 7-08 this past Winter, just to have for my sisters and other young hunters to use. Wouldn't be worried about it getting beat up and I know they would perform. They really are alot of rifle for the money. Scotty

I wouldn't buy the Edge/Axis rifle, there just isn't any options for it right now to upgrade it except a trigger. Stevens 200 is the better buy even if it is more expensive for the Savage line. Haven't heard anything but good news on the Marlin bolt guns. Here is a little heads up I got from another forum.

This is a heads up for any who might be interested in a Marlin X gun.

William Shooters Supply currently has the stainless Marlin X guns on sale for $312.80, which is about $50 less than any other wholesaler that I've seen. They also have the blued CM Marlin X guns on sale for $256.75, which is about $25 less than any other wholesaler that I've seen.

These are wholesale prices, so your dealer would have to add his commission for doing the transaction, but a discount is a discount, no matter how you slice it.

infowillshoot.com

...08/11 Special Rifle Issue of Shooting Times rated budget rifles, the Edge did poorly against the others (X7, 100 ATR, Rem 770, TC Venture, Weatherby Vanguard)...

...the Vanguards are being replaced by the S2, & there are some buys out there...

If $300 is your budget, a new Vanguard (old style) is potentially only a few dollars more. Or a used Vanguard or Howa (same as the Vanguard, more or less) is going to be right in line or a little under. Probably the best deal is to shop around and find a Marlin bolt gun for cheap, as I've seen them around $250 occasionally. What chambering are you looking for?

wildgene":310198po said:
...08/11 Special Rifle Issue of Shooting Times rated budget rifles, the Edge did poorly against the others (X7, 100 ATR, Rem 770, TC Venture, Weatherby Vanguard)...

...the Vanguards are being replaced by the S2, & there are some buys out there...

I saw that article too, the trigger in the edge is terrible and not easily adjustable. The TC was highest ranked overall, and most accurate. The 770 was bottom of the barrel, and the others fell in the middle. If it was me I'd save a little more and try to pick up a Venture or a little higher end used rifle.

I kinda fibbed saying the Marlin would be the "budget" priced rifle I would buy, as earlier this year I traded my old Savage 22-250 in for a TC Venture. It was right at 400.00. Guaranteed MOA, detachable magazine, good trigger, and a bank vault for a bolt action, and very slick. It is a 1-12 twist 22-250 which is why I bought it rather than the Winchester FWT. I wanted something that would handle the 60gr PT's and BT's. The Marlin would have been a contender had they had one in 22-250 when I was buying though. Scotty

DSC_2921.jpg

DSC_2922.jpg

DSC_2923.jpg

DSC_2924.jpg

Scotty, I have never owned a T/C Venture but have heard that they are quite accurate straight out of the box. How does your .22-250 shoot? Will the 1:12 twist shoot 60 grain bullets accurately?

Charlie I have only shot 40gr Winchester white box crap through it. Matter of fact, my son has done the majority of shooting with it. It does shoot them into about 1/2 inch pretty easily though. Great trigger out of the box and is just a good shooting rifle. I have a bunch of 60gr PTs loaded from the last rifle so I will get it out shortly and give it a good field test. Scotty

Scotty, if you can get 1/2 inch groups with good ole 40 gr White Box, it should be a real good shooting rifle. Most 1:12, .22-250's should shoot 60 grain bullets pretty well. My .22-250 was an old Model 700 Remington (1st year of .22-250 factory production) with a 1:14 barrel and it would not shoot anything over 55 grains accurately and keyholed anything under 50 grains. I hope that Venture rifle shoots handloads as well or better then factory ammo.

I think it will be a fine walking rifle Charlie. It is fairly light, I put a 4x12 Nikon on it in QD rings, so it is pretty rugged. Not a super fan of the stock, but it is meant for Winter time trucks, hiking and sledding in the rough stuff. Plus, I like having the magazine for quick stuff. Overall, it seems like a very good rifle. Makes me think that TC ICON is that much nicer and the ones I have seen have backed that up.

Oh, and I just ordered some 40gr BT's, just to goof around with. Figure they should make stuff go spat at around 4K. The Winchesters were clocking around 3950. Pretty quick stuff. Scotty

Recently purchased a marlin xs7 in 243 for my son. So far I'm impressed with the gun for the money spent. Shoots good and decently put together.

CL,

I know a fella who has a Savage Edge in 243 Win. He tells me that it shoots under MOA with his handloads.

JD338

...I've had a couple of the Weatherby Vanguards, a .25-06 & .300 WSM, no problem getting sub-MOA out of either one...

...sounds like there are a lot better options...

13br4.jpg

...listen to Clint (or else)...

A buddy of mine just bought one and brought it over so I can check it out. Looked great all over sans the 8 lbs trigger pull! Took me a while to take it down to 4 lbs. Other than that no issues that I could see.

chiefjefe":3hw7z2iy said:
Recently purchased a marlin xs7 in 243 for my son. So far I'm impressed with the gun for the money spent. Shoots good and decently put together.

That Marlin is a nice one Jeff! Hard to go wrong with them for the price. Scotty

beretzs":1le94z3b said:
chiefjefe":1le94z3b said:

That Marlin is a nice one Jeff! Hard to go wrong with them for the price. Scotty

Scotty, yes so far so good. To clarify it is a Marlin made xs7 before remington purchased them. There is some chatter on the marlin forum about issues now that remmy bought them.

chiefjefe":2cud86tz said:
beretzs":2cud86tz said:
chiefjefe":2cud86tz said:

Scotty, yes so far so good. To clarify it is a Marlin made xs7 before remington purchased them. There is some chatter on the marlin forum about issues now that remmy bought them.

Same deal they are talking about the new Marlington levers.

My buddy and I went to Cabelas last weekend and he bought a newer Marlin 336 (With Remington serial # ) in 338 Marlin Express. We shot it with open sights last Sunday. I checked it out and everything seemed OK including the 3.5 lbs trigger pull! He bought a Nikon for it so we will see if it displays the legendary Marlin lever accuracy.

Back