savage question and a price check......

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
Well, I fell victim to the mania today..... went wandering at Cabelas today. Met a friend (who works there as a salesman) and we were talking about how rediculous things are: No AR's on the shelves and people just working there way down the list buying everything...next thing you know all the .22's and beat up shotguns will be gone too. Ironic how trying (threatening)to stop the sale spurs the market.
Well, we part ways saying how smart we are for not buying anything and the next thing I know I'm looking for him carrying a Savage .243 :oops: :oops: :oops: :roll: I am weak, I know....

(box magazine and "smooth barrel nut"). Must be a newer one.... reall nice shape.
comes with bases and rings cheap ones I think.

I couldnt bring myself to spend the money today so I put it on hold. I had one of these in my hands about a year ago and let it go. Kicked myself ever since.
So here's my questions.

Is it worth $380?
Does the Smooth (new style?) barrel nut make it more difficult to switch barrels? I assume there is a wrench out there for them to.

Of course, I am thinkin of an eventual barrel switch to 250 Savage so I want that to be as simple as I can make it....

Thanks for the opinions

Not sure about pricing but I'm sure you will like it. If they can get the nut on there has to be a wrench to take it off. The 243 will be nice but since you are set on a 250 Savage it shouldn't be hard to sell the original barrel, I would go for it.

Seems pretty fair to me. Is it a wood stocked rifle? Accutrigger?

Should be a GREAT project though CL. a 250 in the Savage should be an awesome little rifle.

Troy,

Grab the rifle. You are looking at some real value. Your ultimate plan is sound, though you may delay it for quite some time because you enjoy shooting the lil' .243.

Thanks guys- this is a synthetic stocked Accu Trigger model w/ clip. Havent made up my mind yet. Moved some things around tonight and I can squeeze it in the safe.... :| CL

cloverleaf":3dh6tgu5 said:
Thanks guys- this is a synthetic stocked Accu Trigger model w/ clip. Havent made up my mind yet. Moved some things around tonight and I can squeeze it in the safe.... :| CL

And that is precisely where such a rifle belongs, until you get the chance to take it outside to pull the trigger. :grin:

cloverleaf":1q9eo3w0 said:

Troy,

What are you waiting for buddy?

Only one way to scratch the RADD Madness itch. :mrgreen:
Looking forward to seeing pictures soon. ;)

JD338

What am I doing asking YOU guys....you are such enablers :grin: :grin: Sorry the wife was watching Dr. Phill the other day :roll: Actually you would be a nice counter point to my wife...CL

cloverleaf":1ydp1ncu said:
What am I doing asking YOU guys....you are such enablers

You ask us because you know we'll steer you straight. 8) Surely you wouldn't think that anyone on this forum would ever direct you in the wrong direction. :roll:

DrMike":1nuwqtj6 said:
cloverleaf":1nuwqtj6 said:

You ask us because you know we'll steer you straight. 8) Surely you wouldn't think that anyone on this forum would ever direct you in the wrong direction. :roll:

Wrong direction....no, never. Just the opposite. Thats why I come back. CL

cloverleaf":1x91nvnw said:
DrMike":1x91nvnw said:
cloverleaf":1x91nvnw said:

Wrong direction....no, never. Just the opposite. Thats why I come back. CL

Always good to see such a discriminating gentleman coming to the fount of knowledge for the wisdom of many years. Bless you my son.

cloverleaf":3bura0tq said:
Any body know anything about that "new" smooth barrel Nut? CL

The "smoothies" have been around a few years now. Fred makes this wrench for them and the smooth ones with a spanner hole.
smbnw.jpg

Some guys toss them and use the old original slotted style when swapping barrels.

Bill

I just got done with my savage build in 358 winchester. Just take the smooth one off with a pipe wrench. You'll laugh but it is cheaper to buy a new slotted nut than it is the wrench for the smooth one. You can get an ER shaw barrel kit with the wrench for slotted nuts & headspace guages from midway, brownells, and eabco.

for $230.00 ER Shaw will put a barrel on the Savage action for you. Wonder what Savage would charge? Well, like Doc said thats down the road. I might enjoy shooting the 243 for a while. Gotta make a decision soon..... Thanks for the update Barthowes. CL

Troy,

The 243 Win is a great round and is indeed very accurate and fun to shoot.
With 55-70 gr loads, recoil is next to nothing. A 100 gr PT penetrates deep and is more than enough for the biggest WT with proper bullet placement. The 95 gr BT is an excellent deer/antelope bullet and would work equally well on coyotes.

I think you will be happy with the 243 Win.

JD338

Yup if it is the 14 classic (wood) it is a fair price

Back