savage question and a price check......

Well, I paid too much, but its on lay-away and the first payment is made. If all goes well and the rest of the bills cooperate I should have it home some time in MARCH :roll: :| Hopefully by then I will still be interested.... :roll: :wink: CL

cloverleaf":vsx9mvxx said:
Hopefully by then I will still be interested.... :roll: :wink: CL

Oh, I think you'll still be interested, Troy. :grin: Anticipation builds on these rifles, and we can't wait to get our hands on them.

Troy with the ABs or Partitions I think you would really take a liking to the 243cal a great rifle for deer size animals and smaller :wink:
Look you can say a doctor told you to do it 8) sorry Mike :mrgreen:

Blessings,
Dan

CL, give it a try with the 90 AB's. My son's 243 is alot of fun to shoot and seems to like about everything we feed it..

FOTIS":3jpvo3zm said:
What do you want to know? It is removable.

???? For now I guess I'll shoot her in 243. Shaw Barrels are not chambered in 250 Sav. so I can spend some time looking for a barrel, save up some more money, and read up on how to do it right. My original question was it it worth $380. It must have been.... I put some money down on it. CL

Troy,

Congratulations on the 243 Win. You will find that it is easy to load for and very accurate.
The 90 gr AB is a good one too.

JD338

are you set on 250 savage. I have a 300 savage I just took off for my build that i won't ever use. no use to me. PM me if interested.

G'Day Fella's,

Cloverleaf, decades ago now, I learnt that the worse thing you can say or think is "Gee I Wish I Had........" (you fill in the gaps)!
So given this, I have rarely said or thought this since!!!

At least this way, you can always sell the thing later on!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

So... The 243 is not mine yet but the payments continue. Then it dawns on me.... If the ultimate plan is to rebarrel the 243 to 250-3000 savage it will have the wrong bolt face for the 250 case. :oops: :p I know they can be changed, but how big of a project is it and how much does it cost? If what I read is correct then I would need one that would fit the 22-250. Insights experience appreciated. CL

I haven't owned a 250-3000 Savage, so my qualifications on the subject may fail here, but what difference is there in the bolt-face/cartridge rim size between it and the .243 ?

An inquiring, old mind,

Kodiak":3jylv4zu said:
I haven't owned a 250-3000 Savage, so my qualifications on the subject may fail here, but what difference is there in the bolt-face/cartridge rim size between it and the .243 ?

An inquiring, old mind,

...both are standard 0.473"...

The 243Win, 22-250, and 250Sav are all .473, CL. All you'll need is a new barrel and headspace gauge. You might even be able to get the smooth nut off with a strap-style wrench. I have a couple of those wrenches and am amazed what they will bust loose.

Don't worry over the change too much. Just enjoy the rifle, shoot it as a 243Win a while, and then you may never have to swap it out. Heck, for about the price of a barrel, you could get a shroud safety on the old Mauser, right? Then you'd have a nice 243Win and a nice 250Sav...and the local coyotes, deer, and antelope would have high blood pressure and a case of nerves!

I don't think you will have any trouble converting it to 250 Savage as is, according to the Nosler manual they are virtually identical.

So from my research......(savage Shooters web site)
Bolt Face on the 250 Savage is .472 same as 22-250
Bolt face on a 243 is .473

REALLY?!?!?!??!!!
Are you kidding me? Probably wouldnt matter but with my luck....CL

Well it took a year and a half, but finally got some glass for the 243 that should fit the rings....
VX-2 3-9X40. Now do I follow the wisdom and NEVER SHOOT THE DONOR, and wait another 2 years "til I can afford a barrel in 250-3000? Or do I shoot the darn thing?!?!? You know the answer to that one.... :) :) Hopefully before snow flies I can try it out. CL

I would shoot it just as it is. You just might find yourself wondering why you ever considered rebarreling a rifle that shoots as good and soft as that .243, and why are you set on a .250-3000?
Speed?

Darkhorse":2hp1b9ku said:
I would shoot it just as it is. You just might find yourself wondering why you ever considered rebarreling a rifle that shoots as good and soft as that .243, and why are you set on a .250-3000?
Speed?

Naw_ just a weird obsession I have. Broke the neck of one of my first pronghorns with one and I was hooked. Dad happened to be watching and paid me a compliment. I do like the round.however they are pretty much apples to apples comparison. CL

Back