Scope power?

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
What power scopes would you put on a .204 Ruger and a 6.5 Grendel? I don't care about make, just powers at this time.

I have a 4.5-14x40 scope on my .204 Ruger just to be able to see small varmits far away. On my .257 Roberts, I have a 3-9x42 scope but I am going to change this to 3.5-10x40.

a 3-15 Power range will handle the effective ranges of both calibers you are mentioning easily. you may want a bit more if your shooting smaller targets such as prairie dogs and ground squirrels, but I do find lower power scope makes you focus more on the reticle placement in relation to the target.

I have a 6-20 X 40mm on my 204. I would look @ a Minox 4-14 X 42 for your 6.5:)

Blessings,
Dan

Depends what ranges your going to be shooting and what kind of targets. I like a 6-18 on a varmint rifle depending on what your using it for. A low power scope is great for quick acquisition and following a moving target on the run while a high power is great for long range steady shooting where high presicion is needed.

I just put a Weaver Kaspa 4-16 X 44 w/side focus on my Weatherby Predator 22-250.

Zero'd it in this morning at the range....... worked real nice.

As stated, depends on your use. I love my Leupold 1.5 x 5 with post reticle for close work on deer and 4 x 12 for longer ranges. What I hate is big bulky high power scopes that aren't needed for what I do 99% of the time. Sold both my 6 x 18 power scopes for that reason. I live in VA where a 200 yard shot is huge. Most everything I hunt is taken at 100 yds or less. Good luck. Buy the best quality scope you can afford.

If the 204 is going to be used for p-dogs/woodchucks at 300 yards plus, get a scope with at least 14 power on the upper end. As others have said; buy for your applications, not what everyone else has. Usually really high power scopes (over 25 power) will not be usable for hunting applications in a 204 due to the limited effective range of the caliber and mirage.

I have changed most of my scopes on varmint/target rifles over the last year to ones that allow me to dial the elevation and windage. That requires turrets that give repeatable values every time you twist the knobs. Prepare to spend bigger $ if you want quality.

WT

It would depend on what you are going to use the rifle for.

Rule of thumb, I would say a 4.5-14x40mm would be a solid choice.
YMMV

JD338

Back