Scope problem

C.Smith

Handloader
Oct 11, 2006
I just pulled my cheap Tasco off my Tikka T3 lite yesterday and put on a VX3 that I just recently aquired. Now looking at the Tasco scope I noticed a bunch of black on the inside of the rings and on looking at the scope I found what looked like a bunch of chatter marks and where the front ring was all the paint rubbed off down to the aluminum. They seemed like they were tight so I don't know what is going on. Any one have any ideas? Should I go a head and shoot the rifle with the new scope or get different rings? I'm lost on this one.

IMG_0364.jpg

Corey

Lap the rings or add electrician tape and crop it so it will not show.

I agree with Fotis, lap the rings. An easier fix is new rings.
Having complete confidence in your rifle and equipment come show time is paramount.

JD338

Rings are cheap when weighed against peace of mind. Buy new rings.

Fotis is right - either lap them or change them out. Burris Signature rings won't leave marks (because of the plastic inserts), if you're concerned about that.

Well I found the problem:
IMG_0367.jpg

Now I'm not sure what to do. I liked the fact they are super light weight but I'm really surprised this happened to them in a 30-06, hmmmmm. Any way just looking around there is not a lot that is not going to cost me a bit of money. I'm thinking I may stick a base on it so I can use what ever rings I want, not sure yet.

Corey

It might not be what you're looking for, but you can get Talley lightweight ring/base combo for about $30-40 per pair. I've got these on a Colt Light Rifle and they're very good.

I have several sets of Talley bases on my rifles, and they are first rate. I did not find the price to be prohibitive.

I have light weight Talleys on my 7mm RM and I'm very happy with them. I found them for the Tikka for $52 to my door. Not sure if that is a great price or not but. I'm going to go with those. I'm just hoping they line up the same, because the way it was sitting now was almost perfect.

Corey

On those lightweight rings if you dust both sides with a Rosin Bag before assembly this won't happen. Also eliminates almost all scope markings with any rings. I use it on every scope I mount except on Burris Signature Series Rings. You can pick up a bag at any sports store for about $3.

Back