Scope suggestions

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
Ok, I'm hoping that this 300H&H deal goes through, and starting to think up what glass it should have....

I've thought of the VX6, a Swaro Z3, etc....

Any other ideas?

I will likely be putting a Minox on it for the time being, which is a fine scope, too.

Tom,

I believe you would be pleased with any of the scopes you named. The VX6 is a good scope that would be a joy for you to own. The Swarovski Z3 is a great scope that is top of the line in every respect. Likewise, if you top it with the Minox, you really won't have a lot of need to pick up another scope. Any of them will work very nicely for you. If this deal goes through, when will you be picking up the rifle?

DrMike":cji076jq said:
Tom,

I believe you would be pleased with any of the scopes you named. The VX6 is a good scope that would be a joy for you to own. The Swarovski Z3 is a great scope that is top of the line in every respect. Likewise, if you top it with the Minox, you really won't have a lot of need to pick up another scope. Any of them will work very nicely for you. If this deal goes through, when will you be picking up the rifle?

I'm at the mercy of the seller's timeline, but I know it's not going anywhere unless I decide not to buy it. I trust him at his word, and he won't sell it till I get my chance at it.

I'm thinking I like the looks/specs of the VX6, BUT.... a Swaro seems a more "classic" look for a pre-64....

I can tell you that I've tested the VX6 against the Swarovski Z6 and a Kahles. In first light, there was no contest. Clarity and resolution were Swarovski Z6, hands down. Next in terms of resolution and clarity were the Kahles. Then, the Leupold VX6. If all I had was a VX6, it would work very well and I would not feel a deficit. However, because I do have the others and chose to compare them under identical conditions, I am aware of the differences. For shooting at first light or at last light, the European glass is simply superior. Perhaps that extra fifteen minutes won't make a difference; but there is always the possibility that it will make a difference.

DrMike":319waakg said:
I can tell you that I've tested the VX6 against the Swarovski Z6 and a Kahles. In first light, there was no contest. Clarity and resolution were Swarovski Z6, hands down. Next in terms of resolution and clarity were the Kahles. Then, the Leupold VX6. If all I had was a VX6, it would work very well and I would not feel a deficit. However, because I do have the others and chose to compare them under identical conditions, I am aware of the differences. For shooting at first light or at last light, the European glass is simply superior. Perhaps that extra fifteen minutes won't make a difference; but there is always the possibility that it will make a difference.

There is no way my wife will remain my wife if I go and buy a Swaro Z6! Z3 I can squeak by, but a Z6, I better have just hit the lottery or she'll make me pay dearly for THAT purchase! lol

tddeangelo":1aftyy51 said:
DrMike":1aftyy51 said:

There is no way my wife will remain my wife if I go and buy a Swaro Z6! Z3 I can squeak by, but a Z6, I better have just hit the lottery or she'll make me pay dearly for THAT purchase! lol

Tom, I spoke with the Swaro reps before I left the states and he mentioned the only difference between the Z3, Z5 and Z6 was the magnification range between them and the 30mm tube on the Z6.. All use the same exact glass and coatings. I am fighting the urge really hard to not put a Z3 on my 300...

SJB358":g82vwbz2 said:
tddeangelo":g82vwbz2 said:
DrMike":g82vwbz2 said:

Tom, I spoke with the Swaro reps before I left the states and he mentioned the only difference between the Z3, Z5 and Z6 was the magnification range between them and the 30mm tube on the Z6.. All use the same exact glass and coatings. I am fighting the urge really hard to not put a Z3 on my 300...

Dang, Scotty...that may settle it for me. I'll make sure Michele also blames you for spending my money! LOL

I was talking to Kelly on the phone one night and she comes by....says "what are you doing?" I laughed and said "Talking on the phone." She says "Ok, who are you talking to?" I said, "Kelly". She said, "Tell him he's costing me money!"

I'll have her add you into that mix now, too..... lol.

DrMike wrote:Scotty has broad shoulders; he'll take the blame.

He's also kindly offered to take this rifle for me, too. LOL

Yeah, he's magnanimous that way.

tddeangelo":owqzztyj said:
Dang, Scotty...that may settle it for me. I'll make sure Michele also blames you for spending my money! LOL

Just so you know, which I am sure you do, Cabelas has the Z3's on sale right now too...

Also, don't forget about the Leica's at Cameraland Tom. They have a CDS elevation turret and would probably be pretty awesome as well. I am giving some thought to them as well

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/site ... leica50000

I am having alot of trouble though, I really think I will end up with another Minox or two pretty quick. I am very impressed with their glass on the range and out in the hunting grounds. Their 2-10 is an excellent scope. I really like both their #4 and BDC reticle...

DrMike":1h8g3zrt said:
DrMike wrote:Scotty has broad shoulders; he'll take the blame.

He's also kindly offered to take this rifle for me, too. LOL

Yeah, he's magnanimous that way.

I am not even sure what that means Mike, but I will say Thank You ahead of time!

SJB358":7uc4jpbg said:
tddeangelo":7uc4jpbg said:

Just so you know, which I am sure you do, Cabelas has the Z3's on sale right now too...

Also, don't forget about the Leica's at Cameraland Tom. They have a CDS elevation turret and would probably be pretty awesome as well. I am giving some thought to them as well

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/site ... leica50000

I am having alot of trouble though, I really think I will end up with another Minox or two pretty quick. I am very impressed with their glass on the range and out in the hunting grounds. Their 2-10 is an excellent scope. I really like both their #4 and BDC reticle...

After testing the Minox against my Conquest and VX7, I am thoroughly impressed with the quality of the optics, no doubt about it.

On the other hand, when we're talking about those precious minutes of light on either end of the day, though, those minutes are literally golden.....they are the most important minutes to be able to shoot, in my humble opinion. As such, if the Z3 can provide a few more minutes on either end of the day, well, that's worth some real thought, in my opinion.

When I first get the rifle, though, the Minox that's on my 257 Roberts will move to the 300 H&H. If I decide it's all I want, then there we go. But the Z3 really has my attention, as well as the VX6. I'm half tempted to sell the '7 that's on my 300WSM and turn it into a Z3, but I'm not sure I want to go that far, lol.

Yeah, no doubt about it. This place is going to cost you some money!

I really like the Leica's as well and it comes from some well trusted folks they are every bit as good as the Swaro's too.. They are 30mm tubes with the same kinda CDS dial I am wanting in a scope. Pretty hard to not give them a look and if you look at CL and compare that price to others, you'll see what I mean..

Tom, I seriously doubt that most of us can distinguish whatever difference may or may not exist between Swarovski and Leica. Either have well deserved reputations as top quality glass.

Scotty, it was a compliment (sort of). I was simply stating that you are large-hearted, generous, possessed of nobility of mind, especially when it comes to using someone else' gear. :grin:

DrMike":2sojfmwa said:
Tom, I seriously doubt that most of us can distinguish whatever difference may or may not exist between Swarovski and Leica. Either have well deserved reputations as top quality glass.

Scotty, it was a compliment (sort of). I was simply stating that you are large-hearted, generous, possessed of nobility of mind, especially when it comes to using someone else' gear. :grin:

I'm still trying to figure out how the two of you will jointly examine a rifle.....something tells me it involves me funding Scotty's airfare to B.C. to hunt bear with "my" rifle....

something tells me it involves me funding Scotty's airfare to B.C. to hunt bear with "my" rifle....

What a great idea! Why didn't I think of that? Great plan. Shall I make reservations with the Guide-Outfitter now?

DrMike":2rbh9gma said:
something tells me it involves me funding Scotty's airfare to B.C. to hunt bear with "my" rifle....

What a great idea! Why didn't I think of that? Great plan. Shall I make reservations with the Guide-Outfitter now?

I would hold off, given that I will likely just buy said rifle with no requirement for an in-depth study of its suitability.

But, Tom! My keyboard isn't spill-proof! Should you foolishly post pictures and force me to go into drool mode, it will short out the keyboard and... Well, take it from me, all sorts of bad things could happen. Besides, you will want me to give you my unbiased opinion before December 21, 2012 when the world is supposed to end. Fortunately, that is well after elk and moose closes here.

DrMike":yjd00hu1 said:

See, I knew all along you were looking out for me! :mrgreen:

Back