Scored on a .375 Krieger barrel...... Now what?

muleman

Handloader
May 12, 2009
My build list has been a big 6.5 of some flavor then a 33Nosler. I've always wanted a 375 of some sort but it was in the back of the bus so to speak. I don't pass up uncut/unchambered barrels for 150$ though. I could just oil it and put it away for later but like most of you any unattached scope needs a rifle, any action needs a barrel, any stock needs an action etc.. I think a 375Ruger, 375H&H improved or a 375Weatherby on a Winchester 70 would be my flavor. A cartridge readily availble or that could fire the 375H&H would make traveling easier in case your ammo was lost. Then again a 375Whelen would be a cool cat and be a great medium range elk/bear gun. Why do I do this to myself? Maybe I should flip it and make a few bucks? But it's a 375..........!
Scott

Hard to go wrong with the 375 ruger. If I didn't have a 375 Rum already I would probably make a 375 ruger myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need one where can I get one? :mrgreen:

flip it to me!!!!!

You have a point with the H&H Imp. but they are also mag length limited pretty bad with heavy bullets. A 37Nosler is a option as well. Just put 37-26 or 28 Nosler on the barrel so you can take it abroad until brass is available. You already have a 28Nosler so you can add to the stable. The upside to the 375 Ruger is the brass cost is about 1/2 that of the Nosler cases and wouldn't require fireforming. I have a action for a project like this myself and even have a couple big .375 barrels but I'm in no hurry to go back to Africa right now.

Congratulations on the score! That is super. The possibilities are exciting. A 375 Ruger or a 375 Weatherby would each hold my interest.

I've only used the H&H and had one of them reamed out to the .375 Weatherby. The .375 Ruger intrigues me a lot. I've never seen a .375 RUM, but it ought to be a hoss! Are you thinking of a 20" or so, then the Ruger is your huckleberry I'd think. Lots of good choices. On a side note; my first ,375 H&H ( around late '93) was a Model 70 Safari model. It wouldn't feed right. I sent it off to Gary Stiles and when it came back it fed so slick that I had to look at it to see if it actually had fed one! I've never had a slicker bolt gun like that since.

Love my 375 Ruger! It is the Ruger Guide Gun with a 20" barrel and has the muzzle break.
Have two loads worked up that shoot really well.
1. Nosler 300gr. AccuBond chronographed at 2590fps with a 1/2" 3-shot group at 100yds.
2. Woodleigh 350gr. PP chronographed at 2391fps with an 1" 3-shot group at 100yds.

Hard to go wrong with any .375.....

I'd like another H&H myself.

DrMike":hr1uvv6o said:
Congratulations on the score! That is super. The possibilities are exciting. A 375 Ruger or a 375 Weatherby would each hold my interest.

I'm with the Doc here. Those two would really hold my interest. I like the 375 Wby just since you could run H&H through it without worry, anywhere in the world.

I would go with a 375 Whelen just because it will take care of anything in North America and not stomp me as hard as the 375 Wby would or for that matter any of the 375 magnums you mentioned plus it's got a cool factor that I almost had done instead of the 35 AI. Oh and you can get 5 in the magazine instead of 3.

A lot depends on what action a guy has. If I wanted more gas than a 375H&H,and had a Rem 700 or M70, I would go with the 375 Weatherby or 375 AI.

One can fire and hunt with standard 375 H&H ammo,and then load to full velocity for the improved case. 375 brass and ammo are fairly common.

The AI will move 270 gr bullets right up around 2900 fps. It's a great cartridge.

Personally I have always had a soft spot for the standard H&H round.

And if he had a standard action a 375 Ruger. Plenty of 375 Ruger cases are available in my area. I know there is 2-50rd. boxes at my local Sportsman's Warehouse.

BF375":206q40j0 said:
A lot depends on what action a guy has. If I wanted more gas than a 375H&H,and had a Rem 700 or M70, I would go with the 375 Weatherby or 375 AI.

I know Scott wouldn't less us down with anything other than a proper Model 70 for such a cartridge. :lol:

muleman,
What rate of twist and length is your barrel? If it is a 1 and 12 twist you could try a heavier weight bullet like a 350gr. That puts the 375 caliber in another world. With the KO factor puts it up to a 416 caliber shooting 400gr. bullets. I have the 375 Ruger Guide Gun with 20" barrel and have loaded a Nosler 300gr. AccuBond chronographed at 2590fps and a Woodleigh 350gr. PP chronographed at 2391fps.
Here is a link to about the heavy weight bullet in 375 caliber.
http://www.africahunting.com/threads/wo ... let.16065/

SJB358":2seoq6s9 said:
BF375":2seoq6s9 said:

I know Scott wouldn't less us down with anything other than a proper Model 70 for such a cartridge. :lol:

I thought it was illegal to chamber a 375 in anything but a Winchester 70. :grin:

300H&H,
The barrel is a 1 in 12 twist and is uncut or chambered, currently 27" long. Lots of lattitude to play with.

If you want a 375 the 375 Ruger is hard to beat. The one I had was very accurate and it fits a lot more actions compared to the longer 375's. If you have an extra short action magnum laying around a 375/350 Remington or probably better yet a 375 WSM might be something you would consider.

If you change your mind I am here.....if it is chrome moly!!!!!

muleman":1vh8o2xr said:
SJB358":1vh8o2xr said:
BF375":1vh8o2xr said:

I thought it was illegal to chamber a 375 in anything but a Winchester 70. :grin:

300H&H,
The barrel is a 1 in 12 twist and is uncut or chambered, currently 27" long. Lots of lattitude to play with.

It is Scott... We need to watch out for those outlaws that wanna break the rules though :twisted:

FOTIS":22lekdit said:
If you change your mind I am here.....if it is chrome moly!!!!!

Fotis,
It is a chrome moly barrel and I will keep your offer in mind. But..... that 375WSM sounds cool!

muleman":3knxqx5e said:
SJB358":3knxqx5e said:
BF375":3knxqx5e said:

muleman: Well of course! I was just trying to be inclusive. :)

All of mine have been M70's,mostly pre 64's.

Back