Sealing Laminate Stock

Vince2

Handloader
Jan 21, 2022
What do y’all recommend to seal up a Ruger laminate stock?

Thank you for your help and Merry Christmas to all.

Vince

In theory, the laminate stock is sealed clear through during the laminating process as the bonding agent is forced into the wood under high pressure.

It likely wouldn't hurt to hit the barrel channel and action inlet with some poly spray or wax, but it's likely a "belt and suspenders" sort of approach. There's no need to put anything on the exterior of the stock at all, nothing you can apply is tougher than the factory finish.

I know a lot of people who hunt laminate stocked rifles hard in rough conditions and none have had an issue at all. Laminate stocks are plain tough, my sole aversion to using one is their weight, but they'll definitely hold up in wet weather as good as any kevlar or composite stock.

I agree that laminated stock with a good sealed finish wear very well...
The stocks that are finished with hand rubbed oil (more often found on custom rifles where the laminated stocks require finishing by the gunsmith or home do it yourselfer), need tending to over time, as the outer layers of laminate will dry out and can crack if not retreated from time to time with repeated use in wet conditions and/or snowy conditions where the firearm is taken from cold dry outside air, into warm more humid inside air within homes and/ vehicles.

“It likely wouldn't hurt to hit the barrel channel and action inlet with some poly spray or wax, but it's likely a "belt and suspenders" sort of approach. There's no need to put anything on the exterior of the stock at all, nothing you can apply is tougher than the factory finish.”

THANK YOU!!!

Vince

The laminate glue is tougher than the finish. In theory if the finish gets worn off the difference would show. I don' think it is a worry. Can tell you that hand checkering a laminate is hard on the cutters and the craftsman. :)

The laminate glue is tougher than the finish. In theory if the finish gets worn off the difference would show. I don' think it is a worry. Can tell you that hand checkering a laminate is hard on the cutters and the craftsman. :)
I know that the local stockmaker abhors working on laminated stocks because they are hard and chip easily when fitting and/or checkering...he does it...but rather reluctantly!

I have a couple of Remington LSS stocks and they are tough as nails yet easy on the eyes. The only drawback is that they are heavy.
I rebarreled my 700 LSS 338 RUM 4 years ago. Went with a Krieger #5 fluted 27" barrel and a HS Precision Hunter stock. The rifle weighed less than when when it was a factory rifle with a 26" pencil barrel.

JD338

They are sealed up tight at the factory . I think most finishes would lay on top of what’s already there and not penetrate, or even be incompatible with a factory finish. Like others have said, maybe in the barrel channel some hand rubbed true oil or a sealing wax may do some good.

I have an 1895sbl with factory laminate stock. When the stock was checkered the brown from the pressing developed where the grip and foregrip area is. It has been almost 7 years since I stained it black and no sealer was applied.

Attachments

• 20221109_044753.jpg
    20221109_044753.jpg
    618.1 KB · Views: 15
I have an 1895sbl with factory laminate stock. When the stock was checkered the brown from the pressing developed where the grip and foregrip area is. It has been almost 7 years since I stained it black and no sealer was applied.
That’s a cool tactical cowboy rifle. 👍🏻
Tell me more about your rifle.

Vince

That’s a cool tactical cowboy rifle. 👍🏻
Tell me more about your rifle.

Vince
RPR (ranger point precision)
RPR no flop trigger, handguard, lever screw, takedown screw, flyweight load gate and ammo quiver
Strike Industries foregrip
Original Power leather sling and buttstock w/shell holder
D4 leather lever wrap
Wild West Guns bear proof ejector and mag follower
Palo Verde Gunworks trigger spring kit
green laser, 5x magnifier and 50mm red dot
the trigger breaks at a consistent 2# 6oz
holds 34 rounds of complete fun.

Back