Second rifle

joelkdouglas

Handloader
Jun 5, 2011
Well, after 8 years of only having a 30-06 and a 22, I'm seriously thinking about another centerfire.

Primarily for the range, and I could use it for varminting if I ever get stationed in open country again. But I have never shot prarie dogs before, and I have nothing against the coyote.

What say you? 22-250AI? 204 Ruger? 6mm PPC?

v/r
Joel

JD took the words right out of my mouth. With a 243Win, you get some of the best coyote medicine available along with a good backup deer rifle, to boot. Easy to shoot, easy to load for, easy on the wallet in terms of components. What's not to like?

+1 for the 243 Win. Had more fun with my 243 than anything else. 55-105gr bullets which gives you flexibility for short or long range shooting.

I have a CZ 527 in the 204 and they are a hoot. I should get it out sometime as I haven't shot it in awhile:(
I think that I am going to re-retire, this working is for the young guys :roll:

Blessings,
Dan

Only two!!! :shock:

You need a 22-250......and a 243.....and a 257......and a 280...and and...lots lots more! :twisted:

FOTIS":14x1rcqo said:

And Fotis says I'm bad... I have fallen the victim to more than one of his GunBroker postings.......

Joel, the 243 is a pretty sweet cartridge. I would like a fast twist 22 centerfire as well to shoot the heavier bullets, but the 243/6mm have alot going for them.. Plus they are pretty fun to load for, low powder usage and alot of good bullets.

I'm going to go against the herd... why not a .223? Plinking ammo is a whole lot cheaper, reloading costs are much cheaper, and if you do get in a prairie dog town, a .243 can get a bit obnoxious before too long.

Joel - the .223 & .204 are both a lot of fun - the .223 likely is more practical if you're doing a lot of shooting because it's easy to get cases of ammo for it, or truckloads of components. There's stuff avail for the .204, but nothing comes close to the .223 for availability. That said, I sure enjoy using my .204 Ruger. An easy-kicking center fire rifle is a good thing to have. Very enjoyable to use.

You've got the big .30-06 and you've got a .22, so you don't really need anything else... But what else would you like to have?

A varmint rifle in .22-250, .223, .204 or something else small?

Or a dual-purpose rifle that's very effective on varmints and also very capable of handling deer size game? Such as the 6mm Rem, .243 Win, or even the .25-06?

Also - take a little time to pick the rifle that's going to put a grin on your face. Same make and model as your .30-06? That makes a lot of sense. Branch out and get something different? Maybe a Number One, or a Cooper or something?

Enjoy the search - and hopefully you'll come up with something good. I sure enjoy shooting and hunting with my easy-kicking rifles.

Regards, Guy

BK":xvl5tf68 said:
I'm going to go against the herd... why not a .223? Plinking ammo is a whole lot cheaper, reloading costs are much cheaper, and if you do get in a prairie dog town, a .243 can get a bit obnoxious before too long.

QFT - can't go wrong with a solid .223. I like the 22-250 more but there are definite advantages for shooting the .223.

Guy makes a good point that something like the 243, 6mm Remington, 257 Roberts, or 25-06 would all be something that would fit that void that you are seeking to fill. Any of these mentioned would be nice rifles to own for target punching, varmints, or smaller game like deer and antelope. The Ruger #1B is a really sweet rifle also. I really cannot explain what it is about them, but they are really good looking rifles that just exude class, and just a neat rifle to shoot. They handle and carry well, and with that 26" of barrel on them, they get the most out of the cartridge you might be shooting in one. I have two of them that's how much I like them, my 6mm and my 30-06. My 6mm is the one shown.

002-1.jpg

They can shoot also Joel! :grin: Two different loads with the 100 gr. Partition out of my #1B with a 6x42mm Leupold on it.

RifleGroups002.jpg

Back