Shooting Bags/rests

I have a bulls bag . I think it's the 15" one . my complaint is it seems to hold the rifle to low to the bench . I can't get the butt of the rifle up off the bench to be able to put a sand bag under there , and it also interferes with my trigger hand . what I've been doing is I place the bulls bag on a board or two to raise it up some . I wish I'd have bought the system , it looks to have more height .
I was watching a fella the other day, it wasn't a Bulls bag, but he had a thick cushion that you sit on under his bags. I have one that I sit on in ladder stands that's very firm. Figure I'll use it under the bag if a little height is needed.
This is the one I have, a little spendy for just sticking under a bag, but golly your south end will thank you when it's between you and the earth or a metal stand. The plain brown version is quite a bit cheaper.
ALPS Cushion

I keep coming back to look at this. I trying to figure how to make one these work in my hunting stands. It would sure be better than a rolled up rag laying over the window edge.
Rick
For blind hunting, I use a seat cushion or a rice bag. They work great.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20211118_094226005.jpg
    IMG_20211118_094226005.jpg
    496.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20211211_165740371.jpg
    IMG_20211211_165740371.jpg
    651.3 KB · Views: 11
Nice. Yup, a small doe in the corn.
Here is my set up in the pole barn. Rifle is at the ready on one of the food plots. The Bull Bag does a great job.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20221231_105733050.jpg
    IMG_20221231_105733050.jpg
    514 KB · Views: 12
Have a couple of Bull bags that I have been using for years.
A Browning bull bag that is about 25 years old, and a newer Caldwell bull bag I bought for the wife when we got together; about 12 years old now.
Have had the same issue from time to time; have just added planks underneath the bull bag to provide lift on the bench; mostly for lever actions.
While at the lgs yesterday, I noticed that they had a bag lift device that can be used to adjust bull bag height as needed...looks like a good idea for the bench...not sure how it would work in a stand...unless you have a wide enough sill for the lift and bull bag. Didn't look at it close enough for details...may have to look at it better next time I am there.

Here is my set up in the pole barn. Rifle is at the ready on one of the food plots. The Bull Bag does a great job.

JD338
yes , this is definitely higher than my bag . thanks for the pic .

JD338
Now that’s a nice stable hunting rest. I wish my stand had a little more room to built a bench. This is a summer project for sure.
Thanks for all your input on this thread.

The bulls bag will be here Thursday. Has anybody ever used a rear bag that’s angled down to follow the stock? Seems a good design, but never tried a rear bag.

Attachments

• 44C363C0-7085-4A88-B914-4CFBD4324331.jpeg
    44C363C0-7085-4A88-B914-4CFBD4324331.jpeg
    337.5 KB · Views: 9
Those Bulls bags look nice but I think a "bag jack" might be helpful. Havent made that investment yet. CL

The bulls bag will be here Thursday. Has anybody ever used a rear bag that’s angled down to follow the stock? Seems a good design, but never tried a rear bag.
that's probably a good design rear bag , for a sporter stock . the stock angle , and the bag angle , will give a bunch of height if needed . shooting down hill from a bipod requires a higher than normal rear bag . I just use a small square bag for under the butt stock . it measures 2" thick ,x 5" long , x 3.5" wide . this gives 3 heights for under the butt .

I JUST ORDERED THIS ONE---I take possesion tomorrow

I’ve got the lead sled Solo, it’s designed for AR and others with a long mag, but it works on just about any rifle, my problem is it’s too high, I guess to allow for a 30 rd mag. the DFT, looks like a better design. I made a weight bag from an old 12” decorative pillow case. I filled a XL vac seal bag with play sand and stuck it in the pillow case.

I really have positive opinion on this bag. Yesterday was the first time I was able to put it to work. Holds the rifle very steady and tames the recoil of my cannon by a huge margin.
IMG_4222.jpeg

Back