Shopping for a new spotting scope

CEG17

Handloader
May 12, 2022
I'm looking to buy a new spotting scope before the start of next hunting season and am leaning towards the Sig Sauer Oscar 8 or the Leupold SX-5 Santiam. Does anyone have any experience with either of these spotting scopes?

I have the sx-5, I’ve had it for about 3 years and it is certainly adequate for my needs. Primarily it stays in my range box, if I’m going scouting I’ll dig it out throw it in the truck. It will go hunting with me but to be honest I don’t use it much, never worry about a few inches of horn one way or the other. IF I can reach him in a day and get back out I’ll go after him.
My outfitter in South Africa had a Swarovski scope. The Sx-5 is not a Swarovski but I would say it put up a good fight so to speak.
I’m a Leupold fan so I didn’t look at other scopes. I do like the sx5 but it’s not a scope I would put in my day pack.
I definitely need my first cup of coffee…….

I have the sx-5, I’ve had it for about 3 years and it is certainly adequate for my needs. Primarily it stays in my range box, if I’m going scouting I’ll dig it out throw it in the truck. It will go hunting with me but to be honest I don’t use it much, never worry about a few inches of horn one way or the other. IF I can reach him in a day and get back out I’ll go after him.
My outfitter in South Africa had a Swarovski scope. The Sx-5 is not a Swarovski but I would say it put up a good fight so to speak.
I’m a Leupold fan so I didn’t look at other scopes. I do like the sx5 but it’s not a scope I would put in my day pack.
I definitely need my first cup of coffee…….
Good copy, I appreciate your insights. I have my concerns about weight for both these scopes. I want something that I can use to determine if the animal is legal - for me it's about putting meat in the freezer and you can't eat antlers. The SX-4 Pro Guide might be a better option for me. Small enough to carry but with enough magnification and large enough objective to gather light. Part of the reason I haven't picked up a new spotting scope yet.

I have a Leupold GR 12-40x spotting scope that has served me well for several years. No issues with seeing hits in the 800 yard gong.

JD338

I have a Leupold GR 12-40x spotting scope that has served me well for several years. No issues with seeing hits in the 800 yard gong.

JD338
Years ago I bought an inexpensive Bushnell 18-36x50 spotting scope just to use at the range when zeroing or fine tuning my rifles. I took it out hunting pronghorn in Wyoming and after a couple of days of glassing I thought my eyes were going to fall out of my head. I don't think I have used it since. The magnification was a bit too low for the ranges I was glassing and the clarity of the scope left a lot to be desired. I think Bushnell ground their lenses from old soda bottle bottoms. For a long time I was looking at the 20-60x80mm spotting scopes but really did not like the idea of carrying all that weight knowing that the scope would drive the selection of the tripod. It is sounding more and more like the 15-45x magnification range will meet all my needs. Thanks for the feedback.

JD338
+1 for a lightweight backpacking scope that still has good magnification

Back