Show Your Lever Guns

I definitely enjoy the old Savage 99. I briefly owned a Model C chambered in 38-55. I allowed it to go, which was a grave mistake. It was in good condition. Alas, it somehow found its way out of my possession. For all the problems some report with the Model 99, I still like them.

Nobody likes a show off Gil-----MAINLY BECAUSE WE ARE JEALOUS!!!!!

You have more lever rifles than we have rifles, in our entire village.

All joking aside, that is one fine collection Gil and if you know the effort it took just to make this post you would know how impressed and jealous I am. Congrats, nice collection.

The one thing I can never relate to is how nice all your rifles are, Gil, Guy, Dr Mike, Hawk. Dont you guys use them or do you just buy them to look at ?

Thankful Otter,

Mine are utilitarian, but I like to keep them nice looking as well.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Cheyenne,

Rest assured, they get dirty, muddy, wet or covered in snow too! I try to keep my rifles clean and in good condition, regardless of field use, so as to ensure that my investments are protected and preserved to last many years, and hopefully passed on to my daughter or children that she may have. Training from my grandpa who was in the US Navy in WWII; keep your guns clean and oiled after use so as they will be ready for use the next time you need them. Your life may depend on it!

If you look closer at the first photo of 11, you will see that the Browning BLR stock is cracking a little by the buttpad on the right side, and that the teflon has several marks from being used in the field so much over the past 15 years, and while not visible from the right side, the Marlin 375 (3rd from bottom) has had its buttstock repaired from a cracked wrist behind the tang, and its teflon is worn as well. It has not had the fieldtime that my BLR has had, but it spent many aday in the field for 7 years before the stock cracked (and I got the BLR).

Yes, many are in very good condition, as they are new acquisitions bought for their particular make, model and wood grain in their stocks (the '94 BigBore is as yet unfired) from other people that are collectors, but will get time afield in the future.
Many of my rifles are tefloned (2 leveractions and 5 lh bolt actions). While not as tough as Cerakote, I like the finish, and that it adds lubricity to the rifle's action and prevents rusting of the metal parts when in the field under wet/humid conditions. One bolt action rifle is Cerakoted, and the 348 has what appears to be a parkerized finish.

I am envious of you and your situation!; to be able to carry and use my rifle everyday! But that is OK, please be assured it is not resentful in nature. LOL
It was why I was trained and certified to be a Wildlife Monitor; to be able to get paid to pack my rifle in the duty of protecting workers and wildlife in the field (bear watch work). Just haven't got a lot of work for this.
I would be more than happy to come up anytime and get paid to carry a rifle so that you and your co-workers can do your great work in the field unencumbered and having to keep one eye on your surrounding at all times. Woud love to see the Arctic and Greenland in the summer and keep those polar, grolar and tundra grizzlies off your backs!

Oh, and life is too short to own an ugly gun! LOL

Gil, if I counted correctly you have 15 and are looking for 3 more. 18 lever rifles is a very nice collection and certainly you are covered from top to bottom. The one lever we have owned for a long time is the Savage 99-G 250/3000, with the internal rotary mag. It might be one you might consider adding to your already great collection. My husband bought it years ago and I doubt if my son will ever sell it. Gil, your comment about helping in the Arctic, in the summer, did not escape me LOL

Cheyenne, I am sure these fellows, with the possible exception of Earle, dont use their rifles as oars, pry bars ( sled and traps ), and god only knows what else lol

Dr Mike That 348 is beauty. Do you use to often and if so with what ammo ?

Guy, I might use the 308 as much or more than your other three, very nice group of rifles.

Haewkeye, I also am not a 45/70 fan, but know a lot of folks, that love them.

Jamila,

I can understand that the .45/70 isn't everyone's cup of tea, it's a little stout.

My Savage 99 is a rotary magazine as well, and the .300 Savage is a pleasure to shoot in it. While not Lazer flat in trajectory, it has a flatter trajectory than the .45/70.

I do admit, I haven't used any of my personal rifles as an oar, or a shovel. Now, when I was in the military, I used Uncle Sam's M-16 quite a bit as a personal tool. LOL

April,

There are 13 lever actions in my collection, so 3 more would total 16. Add a Savage 99 in 250 would be 17.

The Savage 250-3000 in a Model 99 would be great to have, I just have not found the one that I want yet, when the money was available to acquire. Saw a carbine recently in very good shape that has my attention, but he is asking a very premium price, and I have other priorities at the moment. If he still has it next spring, we'll see. Pretty much blew the budget on firearms this year!

Saw another that had been restocked earlier this year with a beautiful piece of wood on it, and a Model 99C in 284 Win with a missing buttpad. Just would prefer them to have the older brass rotary magazine to the detachable magazine. Love detachable magazines, but there is just something a little more appealing about the older version. Classic, is the best word I can think of at the moment. One in the 358 Win would also be very cool! Willing to wait until I find that one that screams "You're mine!" LOL

For the record, all the rifles pictured, and posted by DrMike are actually mine. I had been taking photos of them as I acquired them, or completed certain groups of levers, such as the 3 original Big Bores, and had finally gotten around to sharing with Mike, as we had been unable to get out to hunt together this year. He wanted to share them with you all.

HAWKEYESATX":21xkt9eo said:
Here are my 2 representations of lever guns:

Marlin 1895 .45/70 Government
Savage 99 .300 Savage
d65b43d5e506208b35286be89fbe2bf5.jpg

An OUTSTANDING pair. (y)

I need to quit posting Gil. I counted them twice and thought I included the three not in the pictures and still got it wrong. Plus I didn't get the who owned what correctly. God I hate old age !!!!!!!

Regardless of the number of them you have, it is a superb collection. Well done young man

I did pick up your "in the summer" comment. Your no fool, go when it is warmer and daylight. I agree lol

Thank you Guy!

I would like to add an 1873 Winchester in .44WCF, and add some sort of a .30 WCF, either a Winchester Model 94, or Marlin 336. Probably a Marlin 336, since it will go with my .45/70.

Your trio is very nice looking too, Guy.
A collection anyone would be glad to have.

Win 1886 Takedown 45-70 with upgraded sights.

What happened to your Marlin 1895 Cowboy Fotis?!?
And the BLR?!?

Gone, both of them. But I have like 7 to 10 more. from 218 Bee to 450 Marlin

Well Fotis,

If you ever get that itch to part with your 218 Bee, keep me in mind!

orchemo,

There have been a couple on gunbroker.com recently. Definitely pricier than the Marlins!

So I made a list.

Marlin 39a 22lr
Marlin 218 bee
Marlin 25-20
Marlin xlr custom 21" Barrel 30-30
Sako Finnwolf 308 win
Browning 71 348
Winchester 1873 44-40
Marlin 444
Marlin 450
Winchester 1866 45-70 takedown

Guys, I am not ignoring your pm, s, etc, but neither the internet or time is available at times.

Secondly, I have nothing, in comparison to most of you fellows and the ones I do have, I use only two of them, the 348 and 7mmwsm. however, as requested

2 Win 71 348
1 Brown 348
1 Brown 7mmwsm

1 Marlin 45/70 That I will sell to a fellow here as soon as he has the money, as it just doesn't work as well for me as the 348

the following are here and I can use them, but until he passes, they are technically my grandfather's, but he has said they are mine

1 356 win
1 250/3000 savage
1 308 sako
2 Henry's 45 and 44-40

I looked at several others like the 30-30, 218, 22---but they would not be rifles I would use. Actually the only one of my grandfathers that I would use is the 356, as I like that rifle and caliber, but would not use the other four of his, but also will not sell them because they were his. IMHO opinion their isn't anything in my area that I can not hunt with the 348 and 7mmwsm----however when we go south for sheep and goat, I do use the 275 H & H Bolt Action rifle. The 300 H & H and the 375 H & H are also collecting dust but probably will not sell them. And of course I will never sell my first rifle an old 30-06.

What I have grown fond of is my husbands 270 Weatherby, and his 340 weatherby is a pretty good "do everything" rifle/caliber as well.

Back