Spring Bear hunt booked

LD375

Handloader
May 18, 2009
:) ..Just got off the phone with Gary from Northern Ontario and booked a spring Bear hunt for May 28th -June the 4th :grin: ..The main camp is about 7 hours from home, then they take you in to the cabin by boat, fully equipped and stuff, man I can't wait!..The wifey is coming too!..This is a new to me outfit highly recommended to me by a very close friend, and this time I'll be using my 375 H&H loaded with 260gr AB's, should be fun :) ..I can't wait! :wink:

Lou

i'll be interested to see how your trip goes, I'm still on the fence over a bait hunt (nothing against just not sure if I want my first bear to be over bait) but the price is right and only 11 hours from home so I would still be tempted.

some beautiful bears on their sight and impressed with average weight of 200 pounds, seems like a good size for a spring bear

tim629":1pvr5smy said:
i'll be interested to see how your trip goes, I'm still on the fence over a bait hunt (nothing against just not sure if I want my first bear to be over bait) but the price is right and only 11 hours from home so I would still be tempted.

some beautiful bears on their sight and impressed with average weight of 200 pounds, seems like a good size for a spring bear

Thanks Tim, here in Ontario being so dense with heavy cover (unlike the open country) you would have a hard time filling a tag, and still have a hard time hunting over bait, been there, done that, It's still a hard hunt if you don't play your cards right. over the years, I've met several hunters for the US, (Ohio, NY and PA etc) and I'm sure they agree with me, open terrain is a whole different ball game, if you can see e'm, you can't shoot e'm kinda thing, and believe it or not, I've seen plenty hunters either miss or wound a bear at 75yds and or less, it's not the bait's fault, but totally hunter's fault in my eyes. My 2 cents..

Hope you hunt bears one day, you'll be hooked (y)
Lou

I understand the need for using bait, but still a good write up for someone that may stumble upon the thread and be upset with baited hunts.

In PA it's not nearly as dense so we do drives with 15-25 people, but I really want to go west and use hounds. Ultimately it comes down to i'm not very patient at sitting, although an active bait sight with a camera & rifle could be a fun experience.

Excellent. Congratulations Lou.
Can't wait for you to send one of those 260 gr AB's through the ribs of a big boar.

JD338

JD338":184q1wwg said:
Can't wait for you to send one of those 260 gr AB's through the ribs of a big boar.

JD338

Thanks brother Jim! :) ..All I can say is, I'm going to try my best pal (y) ..Might be some Marine guy coming too :?: ..I'm not sure yet though pal :roll: :wink:

Lou

LD375":2q50nzz6 said:
JD338":2q50nzz6 said:

JD338

Thanks brother Jim! :) ..All I can say is, I'm going to try my best pal (y) ..Might be some Marine guy coming too :?: ..I'm not sure yet though pal :roll: :wink:

Lou

Excellent!!!

JD338

GREAT! Best of luck to you.

A buddy and I are planning on a return to "my" bear area here in Washington, in September. His first big game hunt in many years. He and his wife have decided they "need" a bear skin rug for their home! Cool. I hope to help, and get another bear of my own.

I too use bear as a great excuse to hunt with my .375 H&H, with the 260 gr Accubonds normally. I'll most likely use the Ruger Number One again. I seem to be healing up well enough that I'm going to try the big rifle again soon.

Bear hunting is a hoot. We do spot and stalk here in Washington. Baiting and dogs are both illegal here. Some guys have had success using varmint calls, but I haven't tried much of that.

Best of luck to you on your spring bear hunt! (y)

Guy

Guy Miner":28hul4my said:
GREAT! Best of luck to you.

A buddy and I are planning on a return to "my" bear area here in Washington, in September. His first big game hunt in many years. He and his wife have decided they "need" a bear skin rug for their home! Cool. I hope to help, and get another bear of my own.

I too use bear as a great excuse to hunt with my .375 H&H, with the 260 gr Accubonds normally. I'll most likely use the Ruger Number One again. I seem to be healing up well enough that I'm going to try the big rifle again soon.

Bear hunting is a hoot. We do spot and stalk here in Washington. Baiting and dogs are both illegal here. Some guys have had success using varmint calls, but I haven't tried much of that.

Best of luck to you on your spring bear hunt! (y)

Guy

Hi Guy, best of luck to you too pal :grin: ..I'm glad your healing up well, and can't wait to see you shooting the 375 H&H again (y) ..as for me, if I tag a bruin in good shape, he'll be all smoked sausage and a life size mount with a habitat as well, yeah, my wife already knows 8)

Lou (y)

Best of luck to you Lou.
I don't doubt you'll have fun.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Lou, I am glad to hear that the 375 Hurt & Hurt is staying where she belongs :wink:. Using the 260gr. is going to put some serious hurt on those Ontario Black bears. Looking forward to a early hunting story and with some real good photos.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":2hj46ba6 said:
Lou, I am glad to hear that the 375 Hurt & Hurt is staying where she belongs :wink:. Using the 260gr. is going to put some serious hurt on those Ontario Black bears. Looking forward to a early hunting story and with some real good photos.

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks to all you great guys :grin: .This well be my only hunt for this year, might hunt deer for a few days in November (I'm not sure yet) and I'm booked again for Moose in newfoundland the week of Oct 22 2017, looking forward to that for sure as usual :grin: ..Might have a forum friend join me for that one, if so, we'll probably drive, if I go solo, much cheaper to fly (y)

Good luck to all this coming season, it's still early, but it well come fast,
Lou :wink:

Back