STARTING A FIRE

I think we covered fire building, this is much more fun.!!!! 75 degres here in sunny Arizona today. We had to turn on the car air conditioner, a big shock from the balmy 38 we were getting used to.

Well you won't need a fire down there tonite! (y)
It's -10 below here tonite again , wind is gusting to 30 knots. My weather station averages the wind
And it's says windchill right now is -29 below zero...... :x
I just sliped in 3 big junks of bone dry "Rock Maple" into my wood furnace and when I raked the coals back; even with a 4' poker, the bed of coals will almost burn you hands. Those should last thru till morning........ :|
But it sure ain't " Arizona " around here tonite......... :(

Cool topic!

Bill will start a fire at the first sniff of getting chilly and let me tell you, his fires aren’t small... :mrgreen:

My firekit is saved dryer lint saved for the year and stuffed into two gallon Zip-Loks along with a jar of Vaseline, 2-3 Bics and a bunch of matches in another zip loc. So far it has worked well to start a fire in the mountains.

I was ask about the current weather conditions and the dogs in the weather. They tell me last night the wind chill here was minus 45 ( in your language ) but I am not where the dogs are. The wind chill at home was only minus 25 last night ( again in your language)

The dogs each have their own house, raised off the ground and the bedding is changed daily . They have a high calorie, high fat diet and depending on whether they are working or not depends on whether they are fed three times or four times a day. Puppies are in a special house, connected to our house.

The booties you ask about are not for warmth. They are used when racing to keep their feet from being cut on the ice and snow. When racing my husband has also made fleece blankets for them and these blankets have pockets so we can also put pocket warmers in them, if needed. The purpose of doing this is to let them stretch out after working all day, instead of curled up.

The two most vulnerable areas when racing are their feet ( cuts ) and the tip of the sheath on male dogs, (frost bite)

Last but not least these are dogs which are breed to withstand the extreme cold .

If you have a French Poodle like Earle, or a Corgi like Rodger, or even bird dogs ( with no long hair ) like Salmonchaser and Guy, or a Dachshund like Scotty, or a Chihuahua like David, then you should keep them in the house with you, close to the fire ----

I came across these bad boys in Menards last August. After a couple of trials in the back yard starting green maple switches I abandoned my old method of steel wool, Vaseline cotton balls, and a hunk of the firestarter logs you throw in a fireplace.

L982Rk4.jpg

They weight 285 grains each and here is a comparison next to a .270 case.

AFprp2r.jpg

I used them exclusively to start fires for the 4 nights on the mountain this past fall, one starter per fire. Worked like a charm every time. You light the plastic wrapper and within 5 seconds it is blazing like a diesel fueled bonfire ( smells like it too). I basically buried it under some small sticks and lit it up.

The last morning out in Colorado about 40 minutes before light I was almost to my spot when Murphy reached up and a branch disconnected my in line filter from my water bladder. In an instant I was soaked all down my front. Good thing I was wearing a Merino tee and Merino sweater. It was 26 degrees and windy. As I sat down to glass I got cold so I decided to get warm. I found some sticks, a great little wedge of rocks that would reflect heat and allow me to stand above and dry my shirts out.

V9ofeSs.jpg

Dried out pretty quick, let the fire die, extinguished it completely and kept hunting.

It poured that afternoon for 5 hours and my partner was able to head back up to camp and start a fire with wet wood no problem.

Thankful Otter":3ri1u7zr said:
Last but not least these are dogs which are breed to withstand the extreme cold .

If you have a French Poodle like Earle, or a Corgi like Rodger, or even bird dogs ( with no long hair ) like Salmonchaser and Guy, or a Dachshund like Scotty, or a Chihuahua like David, then you should keep them in the house with you, close to the fire ----

Wow a Chihuahua! I laugh but we did have a young lady who stayed with us for a while who did have a little Chihuahua that weighed a little less than 3 pounds and he was full grown. Had the sweetest disposition.

I know this is way off from fires, but we now have a cocker spaniel and a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. It's funny too with the "Toller" who's name is Hazel. Took her duck hunting in December when it was about 0 degrees and snowy. She went in the water with my buddies dog right away on a retrieve and did great. Next duck down she ran to the waters edge until she was in just over her feet and stopped and had enough. She was smart enough that she essentially told us to pound sand on this cold water retrieval crap. My buddies black Lab had to do the duty the rest of the trip. I just haven't had a chance to get her back out there yet to see if she's matured!

David

OMG.
My next door neighbor raises N.S. Duck Tolling Retrievers less than 400 yds from
Where we raise Setters ! Both of us ship dogs all over the USA and Canada! The Tollers
are soooo cute as puppy's! Good stuff!
E

Europe":1vozoi5o said:
Polaris":1vozoi5o said:
The incentive was you had to be successful at this to pass the course, no matter how many tries, and you got to warm up in a sauna with scantily clad girls.

What was the incentive for the girls who took the class ?

Info for the snowflakes/trolls----I AM NOT offended, just having a little fun with Polaris. I dont know the gentleman but hopefully he will receive this reply in the fun way that it is intended!

Well, the incentive for the girls in the class was they got to warm up in the same sauna with some strapping young bucks who were more into doing real men things in the outdoors than video games or clubbing. My wife doesn't read this forum, and that was before we met anyways, so I can say there was some "camaraderie" that developed from this harrowing experience.

And for the record, you know who you are, I am not easily offended, and was not offended by Europe's post. If by some chance I am offended in the future, the entire forum will be able to view my tactful and civil response to the offense as I will post it openly. No need to bounce private messages to anybody, this isn't 4th grade. Respectfully yours, I'm sure you meant well.

This thread might win the thread of the year award

Great information about starting a fire

But it doesn't stop there, we have info about boats, dogs, weather, airplanes, and the best part was thinking about warming up in the sauna with some of Polaris old friends (-;

...I care a small waterproof container w/ a bic lighter, a couple of 'tea' candles, & a small baggy full of magnesium shavings, the tea candles last about a 1/2hr. each, the magnesium burns very, very hot...

I carry several different items in my pack for starting fires; just depends on the place, time and conditions.

We were taught to carry waterproof matches (and I still do out of habit), but found that they are not the most reliable.
Always have a Bic lighter or two, but these do not work in the wind.
Have a flint that I can use with my knife or leatherman, if forced to.
Have a Zippo and small bottle of fuel too.
Have a ziplock baggie with firestarter material (formed sawdust/shavings/grease). When I can find them, those white gelled fuel cubes as mentioned above work very well when wet or windy.
Have a small butane torch and spare bottle of butane for rechargibg torch. This works very well in most conditions and can be left burning as you get the fire going.

The remainder of the fire materials are found at the time, in the vicinity.

A great firestarter not mentioned here...

Cheezies!

Full of fat, lights easily and burns hot. And in a pinch also provide needed calories and fat for energy to help fight off chills while waiting for the fire to get really going. Always throw a couple of small bags in the pack on hikes in the mountains.

Hexamine fuel tablets are pretty sweet. I carry a few in my possibles bag when I’m in the backcountry. Wish I’d have figured that out sooner in life, but they are there now if I need them!
V/R,
Joe

Back