Starting to get the itch... maybe, just maybe... (7 RUM)

BK

Handloader
Dec 14, 2008
So I feel my gun-buying sabbatical may be coming to an end. I'm starting to think that maybe I might need a 7mm RUM, probably in an el cheapo 700 ADL or SPS (what better excuse for another purple McSwirley?). I know Richracer as one, but I haven't seen him post in a while. Thinking of this almost exclusively as a fun-gun, with no thoughts of hunting it. Will probably be shooting heavy target bullets... 162 A-Max, 175/180 SMK, 180 Bergers, and the like. I see Nosler offers brass. Glass wise, I am thinking about a Seekins rail with a moderate cant (15-20 MOA), Seekins rings (probably the four-screw version) holding a VX3 SF in 6.5-20x50 or 4.5-14x50, or maybe another Vortex Viper PST in 6-20x50 or 4-16x50. Probably a Jewell trigger (Brian, what was the trigger you recommended?)

Questions:
1. Does the Remington barrel have enough twist for the longer bullets?
2. What kind of barrel life should I expect?
3. Recoil: about like a .300 WinMag?

Just kidding about the purple McSwirley. I'm becoming infatuated with some of the McMillan camo patterns, like Coffee and Rhino.
(bottom of the page)
http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-stocks-finishes.php

Kurt, I have 0 experience with the 7RUM, but I do think it is a shining star amongst the pack.. It runs high BC'ed bullets out at a screaming pace, recoil should be easy enough to not have to put a brake on it, and man, what performance it gets. The 338 and 7RUM's (and the 300, had to put that in there for Brian) are pretty cool customers.

Not sure what the twist is for the Remington's, but don't forget that Montana Rifle Company chambers the 7 RUM as well. Kind of a M70 semi-custom look...

I really don't need anymore 7mm's, but if I didn't have the 7WSM and RM, the RUM would be up there in my want list. I just can't think of anything that would need more than a 175 PT at 3100-3200? High BC and HIGH SD to just schwack anything.

Sounds like a cool build you are doing. Good luck with it..

SJB358":ize7l8ke said:
I really don't need anymore 7mm's, but if I didn't have the 7WSM and RM, the RUM would be up there in my want list. I just can't think of anything that would need more than a 175 PT at 3100-3200? High BC and HIGH SD to just schwack anything.

Oh, like I need one! :)

SJB358":ize7l8ke said:
Not sure what the twist is for the Remington's

Twist is supposed to be 1:9.25

BK":1fda4bvh said:
SJB358":1fda4bvh said:

Oh, like I need one! :)

SJB358":1fda4bvh said:
Not sure what the twist is for the Remington's

Twist is supposed to be 1:9.25

Good point Kurt... Almost forgot who I was talking to!

I would think the RUM with a 1/9.25 would handle some lengthy bullets. It really has alot of velocity to get it spinning...

Kurt,

The 7mm RUM is a screamer! I would consider the 160 gr as a light bullet, making it a flat shooter that hits hard.
Recoil isn't bad but it does come back quick. I have read that barrel life is less than 1k rounds but I do not know if this is true.

M700 LSS 7mm RUM
700LSS7mmRUM.jpg

7mm RUM 160 gr AB
7mmRUM160grAB.jpg

7mm RUM 160 gr AB Load Development
7mmRUMLoadWorkUp002.jpg

7mmRUMLoadWorkUp001.jpg

7mmRUM160grAB090410.jpg

Got rid of the Nikon Buckmaster scope and replaced it with a VX-III 4.5-14x40mm and 93.0 grs Retumbo shoot .75" at 100 yds. AvgMV is 3319 fps.

JD338

Woodycreek":ewuccavp said:
You may throw away those Jewells if you try the Kepplingers
I have one on my rem 700 action waiting on the barrel from Pac-Nor. It is sweet - in the set position it breaks like a glass rod at 9oz and unset it's a comfortable 4 lbs. I also put a Gentry safety on board(3 position Mod 70). My Gunsmith loves the combo. The safety locks the firing pin so if you have the set trigger set and the shot doesn't happen - put the safety on and release the set trigger. You can't do that with a two position Rem trigger.
Kurt, I think the 7Rum would be fun to play with!
Scott

I have had about 5 or 6. Barrel life about 1k. Keep it cool.
Recoil is about a 300 WBY in a sporter.
180 VLd's no problem.

Retumbo rox!

muleman":38pfpiqd said:
Woodycreek":38pfpiqd said:
You may throw away those Jewells if you try the Kepplingers
I have one on my rem 700 action waiting on the barrel from Pac-Nor. It is sweet - in the set position it breaks like a glass rod at 9oz and unset it's a comfortable 4 lbs. I also put a Gentry safety on board(3 position Mod 70). My Gunsmith loves the combo. The safety locks the firing pin so if you have the set trigger set and the shot doesn't happen - put the safety on and release the set trigger. You can't do that with a two position Rem trigger.
Kurt, I think the 7Rum would be fun to play with!
Scott

I think my Kepplinger is 4.5# unset and 6-7oz set. I like my Jewell but love that Kepplinger.

I've heard of barrels burning up in as fast as 400 rounds with a 7RUM. If you took real good care of it you'd probably get 800-1000 rounds out of one. For 10grs more powder capacity it gains very little over a 7STW though. Even a 7-300wm will do 3200fps with 162/168's in a 26" barrel if that tells you anything about it's efficiency. That being said I'd get one of the new long range hunting rifles if I was going to get one seeing as how your not going to hunt with it.

http://remington.com/products/firearms/ ... range.aspx

Cummins: I would love that rifle, but the only RUM offered is the .300. Kinda wanting a 7.

David: I'm almost 100% positive this B/A will end up in a Mickey, so a CDL would be kind of a waste of cash.

Brian/Scott: are the pull weights individually adjustable? By that I mean can I
have an unset weight of, say 2.5 pounds and a set pull of 12 ounces, or is the spread between pull weights not adjustable?

BK":57kk85l6 said:
Cummins: I would love that rifle, but the only RUM offered is the .300. Kinda wanting a 7.

David: I'm almost 100% positive this B/A will end up in a Mickey, so a CDL would be kind of a waste of cash.

Brian/Scott: are the pull weights individually adjustable? By that I mean can I
Haven unset weight of, say 2.5 pounds and a set pull of 12 ounces, or is the spread between pull weights not adjustable?

Brian's Kilplinger is nice, but I think on a hunting gun, his Jewel is pretty nice as well.

That set trigger is something. Just a cross ways breath will send a round down range..

Kurt,

I got the Kepplinger with the trigger only. Now they sell the whole assembly. Had my local smith put it together for me. He said its adjustable, but if you drop the weight on one end it will drop on the other. Even the 4.5# unset pull breaks very clean and feels more like a 3# pull.

Back