Starting to get the itch... maybe, just maybe... (7 RUM)

That Edge should be really nice buddy! Looks first class to me..

Still seems like the 7STW is a beast when loaded to its potential. Not sure it is efficient, but man should it fling some 160-175's out there in a hurry.

Well, I got to thinking on my last plane ride, and I think the RUM is gonna go on hold. I have four McMillans on hand that need barreled actions, and none will work for a Ultra Mag barreled action... one short action (probably going to be a .22-250, changed my mind on doing a .308) two are inlet for Mountain Rifle profile barrels and will most likely end up as .280s (though a 6.5-06 or plain '06 are possibilities) and the fourth is inlet for a standard sporter profile and might end up as another .25-06. I know I could open up the barrel channel a bit, but I don't really want to.

BK":14g6duhb said:
Well, I got to thinking on my last plane ride, and I think the RUM is gonna go on hold. I have four McMillans on hand that need barreled actions, and none will work for a Ultra Mag barreled action... one short action (probably going to be a .22-250, changed my mind on doing a .308) two are inlet for Mountain Rifle profile barrels and will most likely end up as .280s (though a 6.5-06 or plain '06 are possibilities) and the fourth is inlet for a standard sporter profile and might end up as another .25-06. I know I could open up the barrel channel a bit, but I don't really want to.

No 7mm RUM :( Can I talk you back into it buddy??? How about the 6.5-280AI instead of the 6.5-06? Scotty is trying his best on me for the 6.5-280AI build.

Not right now, Brian.

But you never know... next month (or week, or tomorrow) things may change again...

Woodycreek":cnt5tt7f said:
BK":cnt5tt7f said:

No 7mm RUM :( Can I talk you back into it buddy??? How about the 6.5-280AI instead of the 6.5-06? Scotty is trying his best on me for the 6.5-280AI build.

I thought this was a done deal? Still dragging your hooves huh? That sounds like a no brainer.

Anybody know if Nosler's 280AI brass could be just necked down and work in the 6.5x280AI that PacNor chambers? Maybe a little less fireforming?

SJB358":1njyc0nr said:
Woodycreek":1njyc0nr said:
BK":1njyc0nr said:

I thought this was a done deal? Still dragging your hooves huh? That sounds like a no brainer.

Anybody know if Nosler's 280AI brass could be just necked down and work in the 6.5x280AI that PacNor chambers? Maybe a little less fireforming?

I don't see why not. It's only .020 smaller to go from .284 to .264 in bore size. Just running it through a sizing die usually shrinks it .006 to .008 before it goes over the expander ball.

IdahoCTD":1ltxo5jt said:
I don't see why not. It's only .020 smaller to go from .284 to .264 in bore size. Just running it through a sizing die usually shrinks it .006 to .008 before it goes over the expander ball.

Seems like a good plan and fireforming would be a joke. Plus, brass is fairly easy to get for the 280AI now that Nosler is pumping it out. It is getting kinda common too, so who knows who else may start making it?

That's all I'm doing to my 6-284 is sizing 6.5-284 brass I've had no problems. If you call they and ask they will tell you they are very knowledgeable.

I shoot 7/08 brass in my .243... all I do is neck it down so there's a nice false shoulder (seems to improve brass life and new brass accuracy) and fire away. That's a lot further than 7mm-6.5mm.... I wouldn't suspect you'd see any issues at all.... given the 'smith is aware of your plan.

Guys, don't overlook the performance of the 7WSM. With a long sleek bullet like Berger VLD, the 7WSM will run up there with the best of them. Check my thread with the 180 Berger VLD in my 7WSM. You can clobber elk with this thing as far as you care to shoot.

Two of them already... I was just thinking of a new toy.

Oh get the 7RUM, I bought the SPS version, but quickly replaced that stock with a laminate thumbhole from Stock's Stocks. Had a local 'smith replace the trigger with either a Rifle Basics or Timney - don't remember which as my 338RUM got one of the brands I listed. Anyway, this thing is actually fun to shoot, w/the thumbhole, wearing a decelerator pad, hardly kicks at all. I used mine last fall with 150ETs pushing something like 3200fps on muley and cow elk. I'll probably step to using the 160AB when I hunt with it again. Anyway, mine is, luckily, very accurate with both bullets. The link provided in the first or second page has my load data for both, but here are my targets:
150ET:
7RUM150ET.jpg

160AB:
91gn of Retumbo
7RUM-160AB.jpg

91.5gn of Retumbo
7RUM-160AB-915.jpg

My 7RUM is the first gun going L to R:
RUMFamily2.jpg

Yeah, Rich, you are probably the one responsible for me getting interested in the Ultra Mags.

I don't know whether to thank you or curse you. :oops: :grin:

SJB358":hxqjlwn2 said:
That 7RUM looks pretty nice Rich and it shoots, that is for sure...

Funny thing is, when I was verifying it was still sighted-in last fall, the 150ET 3 shot group size looked like a small clover leaf. The target above was a load development target from a few years ago.

Back