Starting to get the itch... maybe, just maybe... (7 RUM)

I've heard of barrels burning up in as fast as 400 rounds with a 7RUM. If you took real good care of it you'd probably get 800-1000 rounds out of one.

What does a person do to ruin a barrel like that?? Not clean it ever? Shoot it till it glows? Is the Rem steel that poor? That sounds pretty sad.

I have three Weatherby's that have close to 800 rounds through them, especially the 257 Roy, that are smokin' fast, but the accuracy is still as good as new. I try very hard to not get them too hot and I clean them after every trip to the range.

runtohunt":32b9cfg6 said:
I've heard of barrels burning up in as fast as 400 rounds with a 7RUM. If you took real good care of it you'd probably get 800-1000 rounds out of one.

What does a person do to ruin a barrel like that?? Not clean it ever? Shoot it till it glows? Is the Rem steel that poor? That sounds pretty sad.

I have three Weatherby's that have close to 800 rounds through them, especially the 257 Roy, that are smokin' fast, but the accuracy is still as good as new. I try very hard to not get them too hot and I clean them after every trip to the range.
I believe you hit the nail on the head! I'm really careful about not getting my barrel warm, and making sure I clean them properly. You do that and I think they last a heck of a lot longer.
David

Of the two, I think that barrel heat is the bigger issue. Big combustion chambers and little bores heat barrel steel up fast!

Letting a barrel cool between shots will make it last way longer. With carbon build up you lose accuracy.

BK,

They originally listed those in 7RUM. It must have been a misprint or a mess up on their part. I'm surprised they aren't making one since they do in the Sendero. I do know they had some bad barrel on some of the older Sendero's in 7RUM. I had one that wouldn't shoot 2". Re-chambering a 7RM to a 7STW would take about 30-45 minutes. No other alterations would be needed to the mag/action.

IdahoCTD":2i59m0ls said:
Letting a barrel cool between shots will make it last way longer. With carbon build up you lose accuracy.

BK,

They originally listed those in 7RUM. It must have been a misprint or a mess up on their part. I'm surprised they aren't making one since they do in the Sendero. I do know they had some bad barrel on some of the older Sendero's in 7RUM. I had one that wouldn't shoot 2". Re-chambering a 7RM to a 7STW would take about 30-45 minutes. No other alterations would be needed to the mag/action.

The 7STW has alot of cool factor to it too!

I seem to be seeing a lot STWs coming my way. The cartridge is hanging on. It would be nice if more brass were available, or if Nosler brass became sufficient viable to package 50/box or to drop the price a bit.

Ok.... here come Voice of Reason Guy again....

I see absolutely no reason to go beyond 7mm Rem.... and that's from a guy who's worked with a bunch of BIG 7s (STW, RUM, 7mm/.300 Roy). The STW and RUM are both limited by mag constraints.... so typically a LR load will be a single shot proposition. Also, I've found the 7mm Rem can run 162s at 3100 pretty easily.... and 180s at 2900+... with powder charges in the upper 60 grain range. The STW will do them 100-150fps faster.... but it takes 2" more pipe, 10-15 grains more powder, and a substantial increase in recoil.... substantial! The RUM is just more boom for less giddy-up.....

You wanna go big.... go .338 EDGE.... other than that.... I can't think of a better LR Hunting round than the 7mm Rem.

No animal on the planet will know the difference between a 7mm Rem and a 7mm RUM.... even at a grand. You know this man...

Now.... Cool Stuff Guy.... he'd buy one of each.....

There was a great article in a RIFLE SHOOTER magazine I just read. Seems alot of folks have taken to the 7RM again as a LR cartridge/load. They were comparing it to a 30-378. The 7RM with 168 and 180 Bergers and the 30-378 with the 210 Bergers. They noted that you had to add a whole lot of powder and recoil to beat the 7RM by alot. Makes a ton of sense. I love the 7RM, it was my first and I still have it. I am actually looking forward to shooting it a little more when I return.

My little 7WSM is just about the same and it is very impressive with the powder used and speeds achieved. Something to be said for the 7's in the WSM and RM category as great rifles. Most can shoot them really well and most bullets are pretty danged good in the BC and SD categories across the board.

There is a reason why classic cartridges are classic. The 30-06, the 7mm RM, the 270 each perform the function they were designed to perform, and do so with aplomb.

DrMike":2ufj4pgr said:
There is a reason why classic cartridges are classic. The 30-06, the 7mm RM, the 270 each perform the function they were designed to perform, and do so with aplomb.

That explanes everything..... The .270 was designed to suck hind teet to the other two? If that's Winchester was going for.... they got it in spades!

Songdog":37sqdaxi said:
Ok.... here come Voice of Reason Guy again....

I see absolutely no reason to go beyond 7mm Rem.... and that's from a guy who's worked with a bunch of BIG 7s (STW, RUM, 7mm/.300 Roy). The STW and RUM are both limited by mag constraints.... so typically a LR load will be a single shot proposition. Also, I've found the 7mm Rem can run 162s at 3100 pretty easily.... and 180s at 2900+... with powder charges in the upper 60 grain range. The STW will do them 100-150fps faster.... but it takes 2" more pipe, 10-15 grains more powder, and a substantial increase in recoil.... substantial! The RUM is just more boom for less giddy-up.....

You wanna go big.... go .338 EDGE.... other than that.... I can't think of a better LR Hunting round than the 7mm Rem.

No animal on the planet will know the difference between a 7mm Rem and a 7mm RUM.... even at a grand. You know this man...

Now.... Cool Stuff Guy.... he'd buy one of each.....

That is exactly why I'm doing a 7-300wm when my Obermeyer barrel get's here. It get's a legit 100fps over a 7RM with very little additional powder compared to a STW and RUM. I wanted something with a 26" barrel that will shoot 160-168gr bullets 3200fps and function through a standard Remington magazine. Another bonus is better RWS brass. I already have dies for it as it was the first wildcat cartridge I ever built, and I still have the gun. Redding .300wm bushing dies can also be used.

So, do I put you down as doubtful on wanting a .270, Songdog? :grin: It is true that I don't own a .270, and likely never will. However, there are plenty of adherents in the world, and the cartridge has served many people well for many years. I think that qualifies it as classic.

DrMike":342je5m5 said:
has served many people well for many years. I think that qualifies it as classic.

So has/does a Volkswagon Beetle..... but I ain't drivin' one of them either.....

CTD.... I love the idea of a 7/300wm.... ain't that a Super Mashburn? The short neck combined with the shorter (than a RUM/STW) case and that little extra capacity is about the best 7mm I could think of.

The Super Mashburn was based off a .300 H&H and I'm pretty sure it was longer than a .300wm but I'm sure the performance is very similar.

Every caliber seems to have a certain case capacity before the "bang for the buck" heads down hill and in my opinion that is the 7-300wm in the 7mm's and .300 Weatherby/.30-8mm/.308 Baer in .30 cal. That doesn't mean I won't build bigger stuff, as I have done it often, but it seems that is where barrel wear starts to increase greatly for very little increase in velocity. Another thing to consider is that as the case capacity increases typically the accuracy decreases.

Songdog":2im0aboq said:

That's the end game... plan is to waste the 7mm barrel in 800-1000 rounds and rebarrel to .338 Edge. But I want to play with the 7mm a bit first.

BK":1krliot3 said:
Songdog":1krliot3 said:

That's the end game... plan is to waste the 7mm barrel in 800-1000 rounds and rebarrel to .338 Edge. But I want to play with the 7mm a bit first.

Great idea! You may talk me into the same! Just gotta get my glass straight on a couple rifles and a spotting scope.

Here is the start of my baby 338 Edge.

It's a 30" Krieger 9.35 twist. The contour is rather heavy. 1.25" for 10" and then straight taper to 1.0" at the muzzle. The barrel is 32" overall with the brake. It will come in just under the 16lb rule for hunting in Idaho. It's a SS Rem. 700 Action with a single shot adapter and it will have a Jewel 1 1/2oz trigger. The stock is a wood 40x stock that will either have a good coating applied or I'll have a friend of mine wrap it with carbon fiber (I'm thinking the later as I think it would look cool with the SS barrel action). Usually we paint them black with spray grit paint from Brownell's but I'm going to do something a bit different with this one.

Attachments

• 338Edge 002.jpg
    338Edge 002.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 1,279
  • 338Edge 003.jpg
    338Edge 003.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1,279
  • 338Edge 004.jpg
    338Edge 004.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1,279
  • 338Edge 005.jpg
    338Edge 005.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,279
IdahoCTD":2mp1t2di said:
Here is the start of my baby 338 Edge.

It's a 30" Krieger 9.35 twist. The contour is rather heavy. 1.25" for 10" and then straight taper to 1.0" at the muzzle. The barrel is 32" overall with the brake. It will come in just under the 16lb rule for hunting in Idaho. It's a SS Rem. 700 Action with a single shot adapter and it will have a Jewel 1 1/2oz trigger. The stock is a wood 40x stock that will either have a good coating applied or I'll have a friend of mine wrap it with carbon fiber (I'm thinking the later as I think it would look cool with the SS barrel action). Usually we paint them black with spray grit paint from Brownell's but I'm going to do something a bit different with this one.

'Chuck gun I presume? :twisted:

I'm sure I'll test it on some chucks but it will probably be used for other furry stuff as well.

Back