Supreme Court Rules States May Not Ban Gun Carry

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
Good news for the Second Amendment and a long time since we have had a major victory!

JD338

If gun owners didn't believe that elections have consequences, the decisions rendered by this current court demonstrate that elections do have consequences. Trump appointed Justices Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and Coney Barrett. Give thanks that Mitch didn't permit the loathsome Merrick Garland to be appointed to SCOTUS. It is bad enough that Jackson Brown will replace Justice Breyer.

There is always a snake in Paradise. As many are rejoicing at the SCOTUS decision concerning the Second Amendment the nation will be compelled to deal with the fallout from the legislature passing the disconcerting law in reaction to the tragic shootings in Uvalde and Buffalo. These are interesting times, but I'm getting old enough that I would like some breathing room. Don't imagine I'll have such between now and the day I exit this life, but I could hope.

My "New York" is California. I have family there and visit them annually. California doesn't recognize my Washington concealed carry permit.

But... They kind of have to recognize the national LEOSA, which allows me to carry in all 50 states, as long as I go qualify every year. Qualify? Go to the range with my old cop buddies? Okay! :) Win-Win.

Still, I've heard some horror stories of out-of-state cops in California running into problems. My handgun stays well concealed when I'm there.

Regards, Guy

I'm delighted with the Supreme Court's ruling on this subject, but New York won't go down without a fight. They're bent on depriving Americans of their 2nd Amendment rights.

Guy
Americans still have the right to move. I should imagine that oppressive laws are the genesis for more than a few moves each year. I realise that some people can't move for good reasons, but many can and do move when they feel the oppression becoming overly heavy.

I used to say that Washington state had amazingly good gun laws for a liberal state... Open carry, easy to get concealed weapons permits, etc... But that has changed over the last few years. Now there are restrictions on semi-auto rifles and on large capacity magazines, and on how the firearms are even stored in the home... So, not so great anymore.

I realize that with my preference of traditional single shot, bolt action and lever action rifles most of that has little to do with me... But they're nibbling away at the edges and attacking what they can. Grrrr.

Guy

My "New York" is California. I have family there and visit them annually. California doesn't recognize my Washington concealed carry permit.

But... They kind of have to recognize the national LEOSA, which allows me to carry in all 50 states, as long as I go qualify every year. Qualify? Go to the range with my old cop buddies? Okay! :) Win-Win.

Still, I've heard some horror stories of out-of-state cops in California running into problems. My handgun stays well concealed when I'm there.

Regards, Guy
Guy, a while back we were talking about New Jersey, LEOSA, and all the issues that were taking place if you, as a retired police officer, certified through LEOSA were stopped carrying a handgun. Well, the decision finally came out and the Court is on our side. The NJ supreme court ruled that LEOSA takes precedence over NJ state law and "ANY" officer so qualified can carry without worries of violating NJ law. Also, Hollow point ammunition can be legally carried. We can thank the NJ retired officers association for pushing this through till the end. Apparently they had to go through a bunch of garbage to retain their right to carry and it finally came to a head.

I used to say that Washington state had amazingly good gun laws for a liberal state... Open carry, easy to get concealed weapons permits, etc... But that has changed over the last few years. Now there are restrictions on semi-auto rifles and on large capacity magazines, and on how the firearms are even stored in the home... So, not so great anymore.

I realize that with my preference of traditional single shot, bolt action and lever action rifles most of that has little to do with me... But they're nibbling away at the edges and attacking what they can. Grrrr.

Guy
You know Guy , morons in these liberal states don’t have a clue what they are talking about most of the time. It’s just a matter of time before they come after your 30 round “clips” for your #1 Ruger. 🤪

Guy, a while back we were talking about New Jersey, LEOSA, and all the issues that were taking place if you, as a retired police officer, certified through LEOSA were stopped carrying a handgun. Well, the decision finally came out and the Court is on our side. The NJ supreme court ruled that LEOSA takes precedence over NJ state law and "ANY" officer so qualified can carry without worries of violating NJ law. Also, Hollow point ammunition can be legally carried. We can thank the NJ retired officers association for pushing this through till the end. Apparently they had to go through a bunch of garbage to retain their right to carry and it finally came to a head.
The one thing I neglected to mention was that apparently the 10 round magazine is still in force. The court did not comment so it remains in effect.

Unfortunately- all this may do is confirm that New York's law was unconstitutional. If you believe Colion Noir, it opens the door for other statutes that will potentially limit the times or places you can carry to the point to the point that it is no longer practical. For example- if you live in NY, city, but you may have the right to carry, but if they make it illegal to carry on the subway, which they can still do, then for most folks the permit is of little value. Don't celebrate just yet... (If I understand correctly.... I could be wrong) CL

Back