Switched to bigger cartridge

Teknys

Handloader
Jan 14, 2008
With two Cow Elk tags for my wife and I. We had a discussion that a good shot with her BAR Shorttrac 243W is better than a bad shot with …. well anything. I happen to have a 300WSM in the same model with a Razor LHT. When I handed her the rifle to feel and look thru, two things happened.
1.0 Yep feels the same so yes I can start shooting this one.
2.0 “Why is this scope so much better then mine? I can see everything. I want one of these on my 243 after this”
I’m glad she will shoot a 180gn 30 cal PT to fill her tag but it just cost me a few $$ replacing her scope. I told her I have plenty of ammo loaded up so she can get comfortable with the gun.

Maybe just let her just keep using it. It is a twin to her 243.

Me I’m going to use my old standby - my 6.5x284 Norma with 140AB. It is a cow tag with the usual 250 yd and under shooting. We have been filling our cow tags last 20+ years with most shots averaging 100yds standing. No need to rush a shot at distance or a moving animal.

Being a semi, in a heavier rifle model should help tame felt recoil of the 300 WSM for her to a degree.
But if she finds the felt recoil still a little stout, you can replace the recoil pad with a LimbSaver to make it even better.

If she feels that it is still a little too much of a good thing, you can always look for another Shorttrac in a smaller caliber, such as 308 or 270 WSM that she might find more suitable to her. (And you get the added benefit of the less felt recoil from the upgraded recoil pad on your rifle!)

More bullet weight and retained energy on elk is always a good thing, and while the cows are usually smaller and not amped up due to the rut to quite the same extent as the bulls, they are still tenacious of life and can be difficult to put down with one shot with lighter bullets/less powerful cartridges. These are better left for experienced hunters who only take shots at close distance on unwary animals. At the distances you seem to be hunting, these options will be suitable for elk.

Having the same rifle/scope combination in various calibers breeds familiarity and confidence when shooting various calibers/chamberings when hunting various big game. Always a good thing!

Yes, once one sees the marked difference of better quality glass, one usually wants an upgrade. And it is a worthwhile investment!

Congrats on the tags! Get your wife a Past recoil gel pad and load up some 150 gr starting loads for practice. Several 5 shot target sessions will go a long way in getting her comfortable shooting.
Also have her wear ear plugs and muffs.
This is what I did with my wife when she got her Nosler Mountain Carbon 30 Nosler.
She has no issues with the recoil and doesn't use the Past recoil pad. She absolutely loves her rifle!
Keep us posted

JD338

I absolutely hate the .338 Win. Mag. regardless of bullet weight. I have two Winchester M70s, on a post 64 and the other a stainless classic. Something about that cartridge just hurts the hell out of me. One day at the range I was helping two of my Hunter Ed students getting their rifles sighted in for a cow elk hunt. The son was using a Remington M7 in 7-08 and dad had a Browning BAR in (GASP!) .338 Win. Mag.
Dad asked me to test fire each rifle on paper as he'd orrowed the rifles and had no idea of what the recoil might be. Apparently he had the option to buy. The 7-08 was a pice of cake bur knowing what the .338 Mag does to me I reluctantly did the BAR. Damn me if it wasn't almost pleasant. I asked if I could shoot a group an did an inch and a quarter three shot group. As I recall the ammo was 250 gr. Winchester and the bullet probably a Power Point. Nice rifle but a lot heavier than I care for. I never did find out if that got an elk or not.
Paul B.

Congrats on the tags! Get your wife a Past recoil gel pad and load up some 150 gr starting loads for practice. Several 5 shot target sessions will go a long way in getting her comfortable shooting.
Also have her wear ear plugs and muffs.
This is what I did with my wife when she got her Nosler Mountain Carbon 30 Nosler.
She has no issues with the recoil and doesn't use the Past recoil pad. She absolutely loves her rifle!
Keep us posted

JD338
Good Counsel

Thanks for the replies. I do have a Past recoil pad… somewhere. I will find it ,that’s a good idea. I can load down the WSM a bit for her to get comfortable with it. What’s convenient is we can shoot off the back deck to a 100 yd target. Should be able to get her ready. I would really prefer her using the WSM over the 243.

Thanks for the replies. I do have a Past recoil pad… somewhere. I will find it ,that’s a good idea. I can load down the WSM a bit for her to get comfortable with it. What’s convenient is we can shoot off the back deck to a 100 yd target. Should be able to get her ready. I would really prefer her using the WSM over the 243.
Sounds like a good plan buddy.
Remember to keep the shooting sessions short. Even just 3 shots 3-4 times a week would be excellent. And if you can get a gong, even better yet. Interactive targets are fun to shoot and very rewarding when hit.

JD338

Back