T/C OMEGA

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
What do you guys think of the T/C Omega? I am thinking of buying the SST Laminate in 50 cal.
BTW, T/C was just bought by Smith & Wesson.

JD338

Best muzzleloader ever made in my opinion. Will take the wind and weather. Pretty simple concept really and simple to clean. For strictly muzzleloading it's the one I'd get in a heartbeat...but I bought the TC Encore because not only is it a good muzzleloader, but it can be converted to a centerfire pistol, rifle, or shotgun. I have killed two deer and elk with the 209x50 and prarie dogs with 204 and 223 (on the same outing) I also have a 7-08 barrel but haven't killed any deer with it yet. So if you have all the centerfire rifles you want get the omega, if not, take a look at the Encore.

Thanks guys. My safe holds several 700's so I don't have much interest in the Encore. I have a T/C Contender with a couple barrels so I can do the barrel switch thing.
Still thinking on the Omega. From what I have learned, not too many shooting 150 gr loads. I am hearing that 120 gr loads are more effecient and accurate.
Thanks for your comments.

JD338

Guys,

I bought the T/C Omega, stainless with laminate stock. Should have it in aout a week. I think I am going to mount a VXIII 2.5x8 on it.
This should get me to where I want to be.
Thanks for your assistance.

JD338

I favor purpose-built designs, so I went with the T/C Omega X7. My wife has been shooting it, and I notice she now says "my muzzleloader".

I cleaned it after our last hunt, and that is a really easy task.

She likes the way it shoots too with 70 gr of H777 FFFg.

jim

I got the Omega, mounted the VXIII 2.5x8 scope and got her sighted in at 100 yds w/ 120 grs T7 and the 45 cal 260 gr PT. shot a 2" group at 100 yds. I will do some load development in the spring.
Cleaning was a snap.

JD338

I have the Omega stainless laminated thumbhole. 100 grains of triple7.
SST 250 grain bullet. Consistently punches 1" and under at 100 yards.
I shoot a shot. Then I pass a wet patch then 5 dry ones. A primer to
clean the breech plug. I do this for my three shot group then I clean
well with a nylon brush and continue like that all day. My scope is a
3x9 Bushnell 3200 mounted on Leopold quick release rings.

Shooting 150 grains of Shockey's Gold sticks and a 300 grain Nosler PP, my Omega shot a 2 1/4 inch group at 100 yards but I'm happy with that. If I miss It won't be the guns falt... :)

flinthead

Have you tried Triple 7? I read somewhere that the Shockey Gold sticks
had to be crushed in the bore and velocity was not very consistant.
What is your experience?
I have been using T7 in my 700 50 cal, 100 grs and a Nosler PT is getting me around 1 inch. I bought the Omega to load it up with a higher charge for longer range shooting.

JD338

JD338 are you using T7 pellets or loose?

If pellets you really should try loose. Note that it is approx. 15% hotter by volume then pellets of pyrodex charges. So in the 150 pellet designed ML's the max load will be 130grs of loose T7. I only use loose now on the account of being able to tweak it easier, less costly and return (accuracy). Once you find the load you can take it a step further by weighing charges on a beam scale. You will need to do at least 4 volume charges & weigh to come up with an average actual weight charge for volume. It may not make a big difference to your groupo size but reduction in flyers is what i really notice. More consistent load to load then pouring in a volume device.

Watch the crud ring in the omega, should swab between shots. 50/50 solution of windex or window washer fluid and Isopropyl alcocol is what i use. Moist patch not wet, working in short strokes down the barrel, (if heavy fouling flip it over and do it again) and then run a dry patch down, flip and down once more. I never have to snap a primer but if you don't hear air whisping through the nipple as you work the patch down fire a primer just in case. The crud ring is one area that the omega users are looking to the APP/Shockey Gold or BM3 (Blackmag 3). I played only a little with APP but would suggest if you do go this route get the FFFG. I found 2F to be course and tough to meter/pour/etc. I have not tried the sticks.

I use FFFG & FFG T7 in my 700ML and Knight Disc 50 cals. Use the same swabbing routine even with the 700 not exhibiting the crud ring problem with T7.

Good luck you should enjoy the omega, fine ML.

skeeter,

Thanks for the G2. I am using loose T7 only. I had read about the 130 gr max, thanks for the confirmation.
I've just used the T/C cleaning products and have had no problems with my M700 ML and wouldn't expect any with the Omega either. I do clean between shots, 1 wet both sides and 2 dry again both sides and then the bore butter. I always figured that I would keep the barrel consistant for the best accuracy.
I will get a load set this spring and will be set up for 200 yds. I want to also shoot a few at 300 yds just to see what happens but don't intend to hunt past 200 yds.

JD338

I bought the Omega Stainless/Synthetic in .45 a couple of years ago. I put a Nikon 3-9X40 on it and have been very happy. I use loose triple seven 3f powder and with 110 grains and a Hornady 200 gr SST bullet I get 1" at 100 yards. What I really like is the clean up with the triple seven and the Omega's drop down action.

I agree, cleaning is fast and easy with the Omega.

I decided I "needed" a new long range smoke pole after I shot a doe last season at 167 yds with my M700ML and Leupold M8 4x.

I plan on shooting my Omega out to 300 yds(maybe) this year.
I will have her all set to go!

JD338

I have a Omaga with a VXI 2-7x33 love it. The only powder I tried is thriple 7 ffg Lose and pellets.

I was going to try the fffg what max load by volume 120grs maybe since ts gona burn quiker?

I been shoting the 300 SSTand Harvesters 270gr hardcast flat point my gun seems to like 100 grain loads but I have not had it that long to see what it realy prefers. What are some of your pet Omaga loads?

Back