Testing Bullets..........

smitty81

Beginner
Apr 11, 2007
I was wondering if anyone had the nosler accubonds, Nosler E-tip, barnes TSX, and Barnes MRX or other remington bullets. I want to test some of these bullets out but dont want to buy a whole box. These would be for a .270 win, preferably 130 Gr. bullets but i would settle for any Gr.

I would buy these however you would sell them to me, like just 3 of each or 5 of each.........Ect.

I will buy them or i can trade for some bullets that i have........Mainly hornady stuff in many different calibers.

Let me know if anyone would be interested in this, i think we could all benefit from a program like this. We would then all get the chance to try the bullets we are curious about.

Thanks.

Sorry that I do not have any 270 cal bullets to offer but you do bring up a great idea. :idea:

Nosler used to offer "Test The Best" with varmint bullets but it would be great to offer this with the hunting line of bullets, BT,AB, and PT offerings.
Nosler, what do you say about offering 5 pack test bags for the hunting bullets product line?

JD338

I already looked at that test bullets web site, one problem...............They offer one type of bullet for the .270 and it isnt even anything i would want to try. On the other hand, if your lookin for 30 cal, thats the place to go. If they had a wider selection it would be a great site.

I think that if we could get something going, a lot of people would particapate.

I've got Hornady 150 gr. S.P.'s, Rem. 130 gr. CoreLokts, and Nosler 130 gr. B.T.'s. I'd be willing to trade like amounts. If you have premium bullets, I'll pitch in a few more . Let me know.
Tim

Cool site Pop, To bad no .25 either. Hogdon used to do a trial pack of 4 1/4 pd containers of powder. Any sites that do that? That would be handy too. I suppose thats not legal cause you cant ship powder in the mail. CL

smitty, if you will email me your address I will send you some bullets to try for free. I have some 270 caliber 130 grain Nosler E-Tips and Barnes TSX bullets that I am probably not going to shoot.

Pay attention to Nosler's caution about the E-Tips, though. Those bullets do make for higher pressures than the Barnes for sure. Nosler recommends considering the middle load in their manual as maximum for the E-Tip bullets.

Send me an email at rf338@comcast.net that includes your mail address and I will get them out to you. Would 10 of each get you started?

Randy Flowers

Smitty, pm me for mailing info and I'll be happy to send you some 130 b tips and 130 rem corelockt bullets to try as well.

If anyone is interested, I have 243/6mm bullets to try from 58-105 grains you are welcome to test for free (just pay for the flat rate shipping). Some premium and some mill of the road. After a lot of experimenting I'm pretty happy with the 85 sierra and barnes and 95 b tips. I have a lot of other bullets and weights, I most likely will never use.

I just want to thank everyone that is supporting my cause. I am excited to do testing with my 270. I will deffantly post my results when i get them. I need to gather up some testing materials first. Used pumpkins this fall and they worked awesome. Now that we are between seasons i might have to do the phonebook thing. Thinking about watermelons this summer but they are way to yummy to shoot. Once again, thanks guys!!!

smitty81":1hv3bjnf said:
I just want to thank everyone that is supporting my cause. I am excited to do testing with my 270. I will deffantly post my results when i get them. I need to gather up some testing materials first. Used pumpkins this fall and they worked awesome. Now that we are between seasons i might have to do the phonebook thing. Thinking about watermelons this summer but they are way to yummy to shoot. Once again, thanks guys!!!

I also forgot to add.............

I live next door to the hornady company, so i will alse be testing the SST, Partition, Interbond and in 2009 when the new products come out, i will test the GMX and the FTX. I can buy seconds VERY CHEAP at hornady.

I will be doing testing with 50 cal blackpowder sabots also for any of you that might be curious.

Don't have a .270, so no bullets. Are you testing for expansion and penetration? Or accuracy? Or what?

I did some testing of .45/70 bullets earlier this year. Used one-gallon milk jugs filled with water and lined up. The water is actually a pretty good medium for testing. Very easy to set up. Very easy to clean up. Very easy to duplicate. Very easy to recover the bullets in good enough shape to weigh and measure. Here's a couple of photos:

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

Regards, Guy

I want to test for expansion, weight retention, and penetration. I am not asking for any kind of donations, i would be more then happy to pay for any bullets received. I also have a 300 rum that i can test bullets on also. so if you have 308. bullets i could test them also. I will post my results for everyone to see. I cannot promise that it will be right away because i have to accumulate good things to test my ammunition on. I have been using pumpkins with great results. Those are all getting old though so i will have to get phone books.

I used milk jugs also but i dont like to for this reason..........
You can not get a look at any kind of wound channels, the jugs just expload and all you get is your bullet. With the pumpkins, i got to see what it did all the way till the end. I know that the phone books wont do its justice either.

smitty81":3q8oxsh3 said:
I used milk jugs also but i dont like to for this reason..........
You can not get a look at any kind of wound channels, the jugs just expload and all you get is your bullet. With the pumpkins, i got to see what it did all the way till the end. I know that the phone books wont do its justice either.

You could put some heavy stock cardboard between the milk jugs for a reference point.

JD338

yes, i could do that.............would it be worth the effort though and would that change the way the bullet preforms? I want to get it as close to the real thing as i can? Milk jugs usually only allow for one to 2 shots at the most...........

smitty81,

Ballistic gel is the closest media to the real thing but having said that, even real game can be different. Distance, weight, angle of shot, bone, bullet impact velocity etc. will all play a roll in on game performance.
I have recovered a lot of bullets from wet phone books and found that water jugs were just easier to work with. One other advantage of water over paper is that you won't have to dig all the paper out from the jacket to get an actual bullet weight.
The advantage of wet phone books is that you can put 5 bullets into the books. In addition to the wound cavity (hole), you will also see the shock wave around it.
If you can, test in both medias. Shoot into the water jugs first. The shoot into the books and make your comparisons. Should provide you with some good G2.
Below is a 7mm 150 gr E-Tip that was caught in the back of jug #6.
7mm150grE-TipRecovered.jpg

JD338

Thats pretty cool JD, what distance and velocity were you shooting? Can you give some info on your test? I shot a CT Ballastic silvertip from my 270 around 100 yards and it just exploded the jugs, pure carnage. Thats what i dont like about jugs, you only get one good shot and then you have to get more jugs :(

smitty81":2pkh8yv9 said:
Thats pretty cool JD, what distance and velocity were you shooting? Can you give some info on your test? I shot a CT Ballastic silvertip from my 270 around 100 yards and it just exploded the jugs, pure carnage. Thats what i dont like about jugs, you only get one good shot and then you have to get more jugs :(
I usually shoot out to 300 yds.
Here is an example with the 338 RUM 225 gr AB-
338RUM225grAB1.jpg

338RUM225grAB2.jpg

Here is an example with the 338 RUM 225 gr PT-
338RUM225grPT1.jpg

338RUM225grPT2.jpg

JD338

Yeah - I'm good to go with wet phone books, newspaper, dry phone books, magazines, milk jugs... Whatever. Off and on for 20+ years I've used a variety of things to test the penetration, expansion and weight retention of handgun and rifle bullets. Interesting stuff.

These days I seem to favor water-filled milk jugs. Easy to set up. Easy to clean up. Easy to recover the bullet - which is usually nicely mushroomed.

Am having a little trouble recovering heavy hard cast bullets from stuff like the .45/70 and .500 S&W... I can't seem to line up enough milk jugs! :grin:

Back