The 257Wby Mag - What a Cartridge

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
The 257Wby is one of the most versatile cartridges if Big Heavy Dangerous game are left out of the mix. Even though the 257Wby has killed everything from Cape buffalo to Grizzly bear which is not the best choice of cartridge on these animals. Now the 100gr TSX and the TTSX along with other premium bullets have made the 257Wby very versatile if you are considering every thing but heavy dangerous game. But make no mistake, with these monolithic bullets the 257Wby can and has dropped dangerous game in their tracks.

One thing for sure there is no factory production cartridge that shoots flatter than the 257Wby mag. So if I am talking about most hunting except for Big Dangerous game I say the 257Wby is one of the most versatile. Having hunted Big Dangerous game I would say the 257wby using premium bullets like the TSX, I would not be afraid of dangerous game being in the area where I was hunting lesser game.

When you consider that my 100gr TTSX load is well over 3000fps at 200yds which is the limit for over 90% of hunters and the distance they take most game they shoot, then the results when using a 257Wby are simply phenomenal when game is dispatched. The monolithic bullet has elevated the 257Wby to even higher highs than it already occupies. It allows for close shots at these velocities without fear of the bullet coming apart and has enough velocity for these to open up at long range.

When I am moving the TSX or TTSX at 3624fps out of my Mark V 257Wby, it becomes even more versatile and at a greater level than Roy imagined. I don't think any one of my friends who use the 257Wby for years could have visualized the 257Wby being raised to a higher level than it had already obtained, but the TSX and TTSX have added to it's already fantastic potential. There was a reason Roy liked it the best of all his cartridges even over the 270Wby which was his first and the 300wby that is so popular.

I have had the good fortune and opportunity over the years to take one Elk, one Black Bear, two Mule Deer, don't remember just how many Whitetail deer, five Russian Boar, and a few Coyote and would love the opportunity to take a Antelope with the 257Wby and fixing to own my third 257Wby, the previous two, a Vanguard and a Mark V Synthetic. It truly stands alone in the quarter bore and makes it's self a contender even among the bigger bores.

Well said bullet. I own and love the 257 myself and one thing that you didn't mention it its accuracy potential. The 257 wby is moderate in recoil and fantastically accurate. :grin:

I shot my friends 257 Weatherby Acumark with Nosler 115BT. I was very impressed with the accuracy of the cartridge. I think you're going to like that rifle. I was planning to load it with either TSX or Acubond but never got around it.

Good write up Bullet. Glad to see you're excited about your new baby.

Y'know Bullet, one might missinterpet your write up on the .257 bee as a subliminal piece on Barns TTSX as an impressive attempt to manipulate nosler to develope a 25 caliber E-TIP. Its a great idea and I promise I wont tell anybody :lol:

Good write up bullet. I have always been intrigued with the 257 Wby.
A 100 gr E-Tip would be just about perfect for the 257 Bee.

JD338

honkeetonkin":sc61v737 said:
Y'know Bullet, one might missinterpet your write up on the .257 bee as a subliminal piece on Barns TTSX as an impressive attempt to manipulate nosler to develope a 25 caliber E-TIP. Its a great idea and I promise I wont tell anybody :lol:

Well now it is not subliminal thanks to you :lol: :lol: :lol: of course I am trying to manipulate them because at those velocities up close a lead core bullet will not always hold up even bonded core bullets. I know, I have had them come completely apart on shots of 100yds and under. The E-Tip would be perfect.

JD338":18lsjnrf said:
Good write up bullet. I have always been intrigued with the 257 Wby.
A 100 gr E-Tip would be just about perfect for the 257 Bee.

JD338

Yes Jim, a 100gr or 90gr E-Tip due to construction and it's great BC would be a perfect bullet that would open up close and stay together and at long range would still open up and be a good terminal bullet.

GB300wm":60tbgzhl said:
Well said bullet. I own and love the 257 myself and one thing that you didn't mention it its accuracy potential. The 257 wby is moderate in recoil and fantastically accurate. :grin:

Yes, it is an extremely accurate cartridge and consistently is under 1/2" and with some of my hand loads was 1/4" on a continuous bases.

POP":1dmcl418 said:
Good write up Bullet. Glad to see you're excited about your new baby.

POP, you are right when I think of what I have experienced in the past with the round. We have a 620yds continuous gas-line right of way on the Wolf River management area planted in rye grass that is calling me.

I am really wanting to buy a .257 Weatherby... almost certainly a Remmy SPS-SS. Seems like most of the Weatherby rifles these days are 24" barreled jobs, and with a speedster like the .257. I want all the go I can get. Plus I like long barrels.

bullet, what are you running for a scope? If I pull the trigger on one, I will probably run a Leupy VX 3 (that's what they are calling the new ones, right?) 4.5-14x50 LR. Unsure on the reticule... could be B&C, Mil Dots or the custom shop long range dots. (Assuming Leupold didn't change reticule choices on the new scope.)

My limit for game I would want to take with a .257 tops out at spike/cow elk. But that more because I need to be able to justify more rifles in the safe... gotta have a need for the existing .300 mags and .35 Whelen, and percieved need for a .375 and .416. Hey, if Nosler makes a bullet for it, I need a rifle for it.

BK":3l98gbs9 said:
I am really wanting to buy a .257 Weatherby... almost certainly a Remmy SPS-SS. Seems like most of the Weatherby rifles these days are 24" barreled jobs, and with a speedster like the .257. I want all the go I can get. Plus I like long barrels.

bullet, what are you running for a scope? If I pull the trigger on one, I will probably run a Leupy VX 3 (that's what they are calling the new ones, right?) 4.5-14x50 LR. Unsure on the reticule... could be B&C, Mil Dots or the custom shop long range dots. (Assuming Leupold didn't change reticule choices on the new scope.)

My limit for game I would want to take with a .257 tops out at spike/cow elk. But that more because I need to be able to justify more rifles in the safe... gotta have a need for the existing .300 mags and .35 Whelen, and percieved need for a .375 and .416. Hey, if Nosler makes a bullet for it, I need a rifle for it.

My Mark V Synthetic had a 26" barrel and my Accumark that is on the way is a 26" barrel. I agree only a 26" get all it has to offer but Vanguards are more accurate than the Remington and are getting 3500fps plus with a 100gr bullet.

A 257Wby will be a great addition to your collection but I would make it a Mark V or Vanguard instead of the Remington but that is my preference and I am not say the Remington is not a good rifle nor am I saying it is not accurate enough. Let us know if you get one and what it is.

BK":10kbyzv2 said:

I did not know about the SPS-SS Remington, but I do know about the
CDL Stainless fluted & the LSS & both of those offerings do have 26" barrels. On those 2 upper end Rem models I would expect them to shoot as well as a Wea., though I would not bet on either & the Rem is very easy to work with. Either would be great.

BK":3kdwipzo said:

I forgot to mention that the scope will be a 4.5-14x50mm VX-III.

bullet,

The Leupold 4.5-14x50mm VX-III is an excellent choice for a scope. :wink:

JD338

bullet,

JD338 +1
Also if you choose one bullet and load Leupold can configure a BDC reticle for it and you're good to go as far as you care to shoot.
I love my .257 Wby. There should be an e-tip in the makings I'll bet!

Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

JD338":2m3t6fwb said:
bullet,

The Leupold 4.5-14x50mm VX-III is an excellent choice for a scope. :wink:

JD338

Yeah JD, it is a great scope for the money that Leupold makes. Really clear and low light capable.

Greg Nolan":2hfm8l1m said:
bullet,

JD338 +1
Also if you choose one bullet and load Leupold can configure a BDC reticle for it and you're good to go as far as you care to shoot.

Good Hunting

Greg, that is a great idea once I develop a load that is accurate and the one that would best handle all my work, setting up the Leupold would really be cool.

bullet":3jwxd961 said:
Greg Nolan":3jwxd961 said:
bullet,

JD338 +1

Good Hunting

Greg, that is a great idea once I develop a load that is accurate and the one that would best handle all my work, setting up the Leupold would really be cool.

https://customshop.leupold.com/

JD338

Any body who shoots a good 1/4 bore gets points with me :) !! Am not man enough to stand behind a 257 Bee but would like to see a 90 Grn for my 250 Savage!!! Have a box of old style Barnes X-bullets in 90 grn Ive been Saving for a big Muley!! Someday. CL

Back