The great 480 Ruger

G

Anyone have one for hunting? I've been slobbering over one for two years now and figured I'd better get one. Who chambers handguns in this caliber?

hopwoodt":7uzyvjhd said:
Anyone have one for hunting? I've been slobbering over one for two years now and figured I'd better get one. Who chambers handguns in this caliber?
..............You`d better get one fast via your dealer or the on-line auctions.....On the Ruger web site it shows "discontinued" for the 480 Ruger cartridge chambered in the SRH`s. Not selling as well? Call Ruger and ask them why their 480 is being discontinued in the SRH.............454 Casull SRHs are still available and you can also shoot the 45 LC too; hot loaded way up or loaded down for added versatility depending on your needs.......

I forgot to add!.........You want a single action? The BFR`s from "Magnum Research" chamber the 480 Ruger...."I think that Freedom Arms" may too. Not sure!

In double actions? Ruger is the only one that I know of chambered in the 480. Probably some leftovers available at the dealers or at the auctions.

I have a T/C Encore 12" in .480ruger. I really like this round with this handgun.

480Ruger1.jpg

I have not shot a deer yet but am hopefull it will knock one down this fall.

Almost got one... but having a redhawk in 44 mag I jumped to the 500 SW mag :idea:

Contact B&S guns in Mesqite Texas, Great Guns in Burleson Tx, and Downing Guns in Cleburne Tx. Downing had two week before last, and will call you if he gets a trade in. B&S had one a couple of weeks ago and will hunt one up for you. Ruger and Taurus both have a good feel but I've only seen a 4 in barrel in the Taurus at Downings and it may be a limited run. Mine is a Ruger and I did a trigger and spring job on it. The fixed 4power and magnaporting make second shots on a group of hogs fairly easy. I also look online for listings of the local gunshow dates and find out which dealers will be attending by calling the show site. I'll ask the dealers if their bringing a certain firearm I'm looking for. Most will let me know and I can plan for an early buy that way.

I don't know about a 480 Ruger carbine, but I'd perk my ears up to a cowboy-style lever in 460 or 500 S&W.

The 500 has the cool factor if you can afford to shoot it, but I'd want a 50 cal mould before I went for that. I'd also have to find 500 rounds of brass in Canada prior.

JT.

Back