The Obsolete .244 Remington

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
My first deer rifle used to be my grandfather's .244 Remington GameMaster Model 760, it was a sweet rifle. It would shoot the 80 grain bullets very well, but would not with the 100 grains due to its 1 -12 standard twist barrel. It was replaced with the .243 Winchester. I miss that rifle. a short article I found on the internet.

Very cool. I wish you still had that old rifle!

I've had the successor, the 6mm Remington, since 1974.

I believe the only real changes were the twist rate of the barrel, a new name, and the inclusion of pointy 100 grain factory ammo. Well, pointy for the time. :)

I've successfully handloaded & shot 105 grain Hornady A-Max bullets, but I doubt it would handle the longer 103, 108 grain 6mm bullets.

Guy

Very cool. I wish you still had that old rifle!

I've had the successor, the 6mm Remington, since 1974.

I believe the only real changes were the twist rate of the barrel, a new name, and the inclusion of pointy 100 grain factory ammo. Well, pointy for the time. :)

I've successfully handloaded & shot 105 grain Hornady A-Max bullets, but I doubt it would handle the longer 103, 108 grain 6mm bullets.

Guy
Thanks Guy, I do wish I still had it. I tested once using 100 grain bullets, it would keyhole on paper, so I went back to the 80 grain. I first started reloading for that rifle, those 70 grain Ballistic Tips was amazing fast. I think i used IMR 4350 and it has been since the 90's when I used it.

Have shot Remington pumps and semis over the years chambered to the 244, 6mm and 243. Mostly other peoples rifles when out in Saskatchewan deer hunting in the early 90's. Mostly used the 6mm in SK.
Have shot a friend's 6mm's in a Model 7 and in a No.1. The No.1 with the 26" barrel was more pleasant to shoot. The Model 7 with its short barrel sure barked! Always did like the 6mm more than the 243.

Never shot a 244, but plenty of 6mm's. If Remington would've got the twist rate right to begin with, the 243 would've never gained it's legs. Better speed and is more mellow and consistent about pressure when you push it hard than can be what you run into in the 243. So says the guys that done the experimenting on both.

Tackdriver, too bad you don't still have that rifle being it was your Grandfather's. Yes it was the early wrong twist rate, but in today's world they make plenty of 85-87 grain bullets that are tough little deer killers.

I also have a 6mm... mine's a 788. I used that on my very first BG hunt... Antelope in Southern Oregon. I kinda want to have an M70 Featherweight rebarreled in 6mm... but that's only likely if Uncle Powerball comes through for me.

Finding Brass with .244 Rem is obsolete but not the Great 6mm Rem. Best thing I ever did was buy 500 pieces of brass years ago !

(y)Some years back I asked a local shop that also loads ammo for people if he had any once fired 6mm brass. He had a whole bucket full......... $15 for the whole thing. (y) It's primarily Remington brass, with the remainder about 50/50 between Winchester and Federal.

Back