These guys need to widen their horizans

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
You would think that there would be a lot more guys looking at the single shot guns out there. Ruger, Thompson, EABCO and probably many more.

Why wouldnt someone want to try the singles? Is it an " I might miss" phobea?

Long

Long,

When I first started hunting the cedar swamps, I used a 700 BDL 30-06 with a full magizine and 1 in the pipe. Bought a 742 Carbine in 30-06 for the fast follow up shot which I never had to take so I sold it. I usually load 3 shells into my rifles anymore. 30 yrs of hunting and I have only shot 2 bucks twice, both with a bolt action.
I'll take shot placement over follow up shots everytime. I've always liked the looks and feel of a bolt so I guess I will never own a single shot (except for my Contender).
I would guess that most hunters would feel handicapped with only one shot, even though some of these same hunters use black powder. The rifle marketing guys are most likely thinking along these lines.

JD338

I wish Michigan would allow pistols in the muzzleloading season. With the new muzzleloaders shooting out to 200+ yards I cannot see a problem.

Say JD, isnt Moran where the cemetary is on US 2? Do you have adjoining property? :lol:

Long

Long,

Thats Moran Township, Groscap Road Cematery. I have been hunting off of M123 which goes through Moran. My nephew is going to set me up near the Cut River. Lots of Beech and Cedar Swamps. :wink: I'll be up there in May to get a feel of the area.

JD338

I have hunted with single shots all my life. From the Savage-Stevens .410 on up the the S-S 12 gauge. I didn't buy my first pump shotgun until I was 25 :lol:

I own two T/C Encores, a rifle and a handgun (want to add several more :lol: ) three single shot shotguns, H&R .243 and several single shot .22's.

I just bought my first bolt action in over 20 years last week for a possible elk hunt. I still feel kinda guilty, should have just bought a .280Rem barrel for the Encore. :wink:

Yep, and you should have had it AI'd :lol: Yeh TScott, do you load your own for the Encores?

Long

Just starting to. Loaded up some .308win last night, waiting on the Pro Shop delivery to get here to load up some .280rem.

TScott,

Those calibers gotta have some bite out of the Encore. I think I will stick with my wimpy 7-30 Waters :lol: How far out do you feel comfortable shooting with them?

Long

The .308win is a rifle barrel. It shoots great and don't notice the recoil.

The .480Ruger will let you know you pulled the trigger but it is still not too bad with the factory Hornady load in 325 grain XTP.

I just loaded up some .480ruger and shot it tonight for the first time. Used Hornady cases, the Speer 275 grain Gold Dot Hollow point and a starting load of H110, 32 grains.

I had already sighted the scope in with factory hornady loads. They shot several inches low at 30 yards and I figured to keep it there since the reload would be much quicker. My first shot with the reload at 50 yards cut the center of the bullseye :lol: Think I will stay with the "starter" load.

Big differnce in recoil, boom and flash with the H110 and Gold Dot load. My friends at the range were ..... :shock: :shock: Then they wouldn't shoot it :roll: :p

Single shots have been popular in my family for about 145 years as far as I know. My great grandfather was a hunter for the railroad in the late 1860's, used a Remington Rolling Block rifle. Never been hunting with a multi-shot rifle or pistol in my life. One shot one kill, later.

Back