Thinking of sending this one down the road.

taylorce1

Handloader
Jun 3, 2007
I hadn't thought about this rifle in awhile. We just sold the old house, bought a new one and finally getting settled where I can start to think about my rifles again.

292d8046-69b8-4773-a0a4-e416505069df.jpg

It has been a great ride only about 150 rounds down the tube but I think it's time to let this one go. I learned a lot with this rifle but it's just heavier than I like and I'd love to build another in a 9lbs or less not a 12lb. I will be going back to a fast twist barrel as a .243 with anything slower than an 8 twist will be boring.

Just trying to decide if I'll tear down the erector set and rebuild of just let the whole rifle go. Right now I'm leaning towards a M700 action Manners EH1 stock, maybe the McMillan. I'll use a #3 contour to shave weight vs. the varmint barrel and go 24" instead of 26".

Again I'm really trying to decide if I should tear down and rebuild or use a M700 action.

Build was:

Stevens 200 action
Stockade recoil lug and tactical bolt handle
McGowen 1:7 twist 26" Varmint contour
EGW 20 MOA base
Sharp Shooter Supply Competition Trigger
HS Precision M24 stock
Savage DBM bottom metal and trigger guard.

1383949075.jpg

1383949079.jpg

This one has been a shooter for sure, 5 shot 300 yard group.

300yardgroup3-1.jpg

Have you thought about lightening that one up? Fluting the barrel or maybe having it turned down to a #3. I would have a hard time letting a good shooter go. I have with draw any time I sell a gun or trade one I've used a while.

That rifle is a shooter. I liked watching you work up loads for it. It was beautifully accurate. A lighter sporter that mimics your hunting rifle has alot of merit as well..

I think you should skip the M700 though and find a proper Model 70 action to make it! :lol:

Well I fell into a great deal on a M700 action. That makes getting the stocks I want easier as well as a few of the other parts. So I think the decision has been made.

taylorce1":iu0mvrh5 said:
Well I fell into a great deal on a M700 action. That makes getting the stocks I want easier as well as a few of the other parts. So I think the decision has been made.

Yup, I was just joshin with you. The last rifle I saw built on a 700 in 6x47 Lapua shoots little tiny groups time after time. Speaking of M700's, I may need to break out the Whelen one of these days and do some shooting.. Been awhile since it has seen some range time!

Scotty, never leave your Whelen to long as people might get the wrong idea about how you feel about her :wink:.
When I take mine out & shoulder it it just feels right every time.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":3ftnp9i0 said:
Scotty, never leave your Whelen to long as people might get the wrong idea about how you feel about her :wink:.
When I take mine out & shoulder it it just feels right every time.

Blessings,
Dan

Same here Dan. I have some 250 PT's left over from Idaho in 2012 I think, those big bullets just plow themselves into little groups everytime I press the trigger.. The danged rifle almost shoots itself. Might have to take it out this Fall, but my Newton is really putting a full court press on my attention right now!

Scotty you have try the at Newton for sure :wink: take the Whelen too I don't think she would mind be the back up to her big brother :lol:.

Blessings,
Dan

Back