Today's Doe/Rifle has a story

wvbuckbuster

Handloader
Nov 5, 2015
Got this doe this morning first day of WV early antlerless season. The rifle is a Remington 700 270 win. Bought it for my son Ben when he was 12,now 38. He sold it to a coworker and I traded it back. The stock came from Scotty when he and I traded 35 Whelens. This is a carbon fiber from Stockys. Added a TriggerTech trigger. The load is a Sierra 140gr BTHP 20221020_072038.jpg59.5grs RL26. Glad this rifle came back home and with the new upgrades I really like it. First deer in a long time with the 270 for me. Dan.

Very nice Dan. You are stacking up the backstraps and hamburg in the freezer. That should be a nice rifle. Any story on shot distance and bullet performance?
I was hunting on my brother in law's father's farm headed to a shooting shack. Got about 25 yds from it and saw this doe. Sat down, got a rest off my trigger stick and shot. Bang flop. Ranged from deer to where I was sitting was 132yds. Was shooting across a draw and it threw me off missed judged the distance somewhat. Held a little high. Hit above top of shoulder, clipped the spine. Was ok though, no tracking. Always wanted to try a Sierra BTHP. Did ok. Loaded 57grs IMR 4831 130gr Nosler BT or PT when Ben was using it. Something different. Dan.

Nice work Dan! What time is dinner? LOL . Glad you got that rifle back. I'm sure most of us have rifles we'd love to get back, and probably never will.

Back