Too much scope???

Poset

Beginner
Nov 3, 2007
I've read several opinions indicating a scope can have too much magnification - e.g., a 6-24 is too much, a 6-20 will be better.

Given that my eyes are getting worse with age, I tend to think more magnification is better... what is the disadvantage of more power, especially shooting small targets at mid - long ranges?

HunterJim":11nopn1j said:
Magnification goes up, field of view goes down.

jim

+1
The higher magnification will also be harder to hold steady due to breathing and heart beat.
Also keep in mind that should you have a close range opportunity, the higher magnification might make it difficult getting off a shot.
IMHO, the 4.5x14 is just about perfect.

JD338

Too much power can make target shooting in heavy mirage conditions tough. It's nice to be able to dial down to a lower power.

I don't see much practical difference though between the 6-20 and 6-24 scopes mentioned. Either should work well if they're both quality scopes.

Optical clarity and repeatable adjustments are far more important to me than mere high magnification.

Regards, Guy

I agree about the clarity.

Also, generally speaking, when you increase magnification the eye relief is reduced. High magnification variable power scopes also tend to have less internal adjustments (clicks) than lower powered scopes.

It's all relative.
What are you going to use the gun for?
On my close quarters rifles I like a 1-4 or a 1.5 to 5
On my 1000 yard rifle I like a 6.5 to 20, but I would consider a 8.5-25.
Do you shoot far enough that you need a 6-24?
What's the farthest distance you practice?
What the closest you will use the rifle?
There are all questions you might want to ask yourself when you select you scope.
And if you do decide on a high power scope, don't go with a cheap one. Do with one of the quality names discussed in this forum.

If I had to choose between the two just based on the power factor I'd choose the 6-24 hands down because you don't have to turn it to full power if you don't want. I currently use a 5.5-16.5 in Central mn and I like it in the prairies and swamps, but it sucks in close brush. Anything less than 100 is challenging because of the limited FOV. But when I have a shot at over 400, it really shines.

I agree with JD338 4.5x14 is what I like. the 4.5 power works in the timber and 14 works out in the open and rim rock. The new Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5x16 might be better.

Back