Tubb page 2 C.O.L.

wvbuckbuster

Handloader
Nov 5, 2015
Today I was curious as to how much the throat lengthened after the Tubb treatment yesterday. Lighter weight bullets more so guess as they are shorter, but this rifle had a long throat before the treatment. Don't think there will be a problem. Here's an assortment of different bullets C.O.L. to the lands.
Bullet Before After Difference

Sierra 110gr Spt. 3.4135 3.5245 0111
Nosler 110 AB 3.466 3.5945 0.0585
Hornady 130gr Spt. 3.3790 3.4805 0.1015
Speer 150gr Spt. 3.445 3.5120 0.067
Speer 130gr BT 3.455 3.4940 0.039
Waiting on the Dna-Tek then will shoot and see what happens. Dan.

Went to the range today and shot my Remington 700 270 Winchester. I used this load as a base. I had shot it 3 times prior when developing. 1st group was at the c.o.l. before Tubb treatment. 2nd group was with c.o.l that is now after the Tubb treatment. Groups didn't vary too much but the new c.o.l did tighten up some not counting the pulled shots due to operator error. The bore was treated with Dyna-Tek. It still fouls but not as bad. Not the miracle I was hoping for but an improvement. Accuracy didn't suffer so it was worth the experiment. Before this load would open up above 55.5grs. Might try increasing again just to see if made any difference in that regard. Jury skill out on the bore treatment. Might need another application. Something else to explore. That's all for now. Dan.

Attachments

• 20220318_210616.jpg
    20220318_210616.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220318_130638.jpg
    20220318_130638.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220318_131107.jpg
    20220318_131107.jpg
    667.5 KB · Views: 17
Looks good Dan. Have you used it beyond the 10 shots to cure the Dyna Tek that they recommend? They claim that the first cleaning after the 10 shot curing string it will still be fouled, but after that it should be much better and clean right up.

I wanted to give the Dyna Tek a good test in my Whelen, but with that barrel I have to work at it a different route.

Looks good Dan. Have you used it beyond the 10 shots to cure the Dyna Tek that they recommend? They claim that the first cleaning after the 10 shot curing string it will still be fouled, but after that it should be much better and clean right up.

I wanted to give the Dyna Tek a good test in my Whelen, but with that barrel I have to work at it a different route.
No just the 10. Hope to do that next week. Dan.

Keep cleaning and shooting a few times Dan. Takes a few clean and shoot cycles and it should be easier.
Yeah, I'm planning on heading back to the range next week for another session of shoot and clean,lol. Dan.

How many rounds did you shoot before cleaning? Instructions say 8-10. Dan.
I just shot it till I was done Dan. 8-10 is what they say for a cure but extra won’t hurt it. Just a little extra cleaning.

My mistake with DBC is I wished I did it from the get go on new barrels but I’m usually too excited to get them shooting then I have to go back, clean to steel and apply it.

Took it to the range yesterday. Shot 5 then cleaned. 5 again then cleaned then 10 and cleaned. So far it seems to foul some less. Will be going back in a couple of days. Got a ladder test to try with different bullet/powder combo so it will be a shoot and clean test as well. Treated my Mod 70 FWT 6.5x55 as well. It might be a little better but will take it back and shoot some more as well. Haven't given up yet. Hey Joe if you're reading this wonder if running a patch coated with HBN down the bore would help or hurt the Dyna Tek? Just a thought. Dan.

Glad it’s working out. I think once you get it fully cured you’ll like what you see.

I always say I’m going to treat brand new barrels before I start shooting. One day I need to listen to my own thoughts.

Took it to the range yesterday. Shot 5 then cleaned. 5 again then cleaned then 10 and cleaned. So far it seems to foul some less. Will be going back in a couple of days. Got a ladder test to try with different bullet/powder combo so it will be a shoot and clean test as well. Treated my Mod 70 FWT 6.5x55 as well. It might be a little better but will take it back and shoot some more as well. Haven't given up yet. Hey Joe if you're reading this wonder if running a patch coated with HBN down the bore would help or hurt the Dyna Tek? Just a thought. Dan.
Hey Dan I’m sorry but I didn’t see your post until now. I don’t think HBN will hurt it a bit. I always run an alcohol soaked patch with HBN down the bore after cleaning. It also removes any gun oil from the bore before shooting. I’ve found that it takes roughly a dozen shots or so to coat the bore if I don’t run the HBN patch down the bore.

Back