Turned the necks on my 28Nosler brass

muleman

Handloader
May 12, 2009
Back when the 26Nosler came out I fell in love with the case. I thought it was a bit much for a 26 but thought a 7mm would be great. I found a great deal on 26 brass and bought a bunch; planning to wildcat a few rounds. I built my 28Nosler and had great success with it and the neck upped brass. The problem started after firing and resizing. The second firing I started to see a few cases with overpressure signs and on the third firing nearly all that I fired(not many)had sticky bolts, severely flattened primers and a few pierced primers. First I thought it was perhaps environmental, temp. etc. but when it continued on cooler days I started looking at the gun and brass. I couldn't find anything wrong with the gun(no carbon ring and chamber was clean and normal). I checked the firing pin protrusion - normal. Then I looked at the brass; every thing looked normal. Frustrated I put the gun away and resolved to work up a new load and maybe try a different powder. A year later I'm messing around necking up some the brass to 338 to make a few dummy rounds for the smith who is going to build my 338x28Nosler(3.6" round) and see and feel a huge donut at the bottom of the neck( where the shoulder brass has now become neck brass. The light bulb finally goes off about my problem 28 Nosler. I ordered a 7mm Mandrel for my neck turner and a reamer for my case trimmer and started measuring cases. I started by reaming the fired cases then started turning the necks on the resized brass. I think I've found and resolved the problem.

Attachments

• Neck turned 28Nosler.jpg
    Neck turned 28Nosler.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 287
Good to hear that you may have found the issue. Was it a regular full sizing die or a bushing die you used before using the mandrel to open the necks?

TackDriver284":19nx2n60 said:
Good to hear that you may have found the issue. Was it a regular full sizing die or a bushing die you used before using the mandrel to open the necks?

I use a non bushing Redding Neck die and do a full length resizing about every 3 firings or if chambering starts to get snug. That's only for brass used in the same rifle all the time. Any hunting rounds or ammo that may be used in multiple rifle is always FL sized.

Scott

Glad you figured it out, I bet that would have caused an issue.

Back