Two Rifles and two scopes

Rol_P

Handloader
Nov 23, 2013
The project at hand is load development for my Ruger Number One in 30-06 with a 22" barrel and the soon to be picked up Rem-Hart left hand 30-06 with 24" barrel. It is nick named Rem-Hart because it was my Remington 700CDL which R.W. Hart in Nescopeck PA has re-barreled with a new Hart Barrel, restocked with a Left Hand Bell and Carlson Alaskan II stock, trued the action, recut the lug seats, reface the bolt to insure proper alignment, surface grind the recoil lug for trueness. The only factory original part is the receiver as I had a Timney trigger installed back in 2013.

I have two Zeiss Conquest HD scopes that I intend to use on these rifles, 2-10x42 and 3-15x42.
The question is how much affect am I likely to see if I switch scopes between rifles after load development? The 3-15x42 is slightly longer and therefore slightly heavier, and I would expect some, although measurable or significant? harmonics and group changes? Please relay any thoughts and/or first hand experience in this regard.

The best approach may be to pick up the Rem-Hart next week, remove the 2-10 scope and replace it with the 3-15 scope. Install the 2-10 scope on the Ruger Number One and call it good. This is how I intend to scope these rifles for hunting. However I do enjoy the extra magnification of the 15X when doing load development.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and insights. Rol

Rol_P,

I do not see any impact changing between the Zeiss HD5's (2-10x42 and 3-15x42) on my rifles (280 Rem, 280 Ack and 30-06) when shooting off of bipods with rear bag support out to 300 yds. The scope ocular and objectives are the same size and from memory there is less than 1 ounce difference between them. So, the harmonics are very close and weight wise, bullets in the magazine would have more impact.

I don't swap scopes very often as little changes in the horizontal realm make a huge difference also it seems like I end up having to fiddle with the scope's position for eye-relief. For load development, I love the 15 power but find it a bit much for hunting my woods. Big thing when I switch scopes is to have a couple of range sessions prior to hunting; make sure the screws are holding and that things are aligned properly.

FYI - I swapped the Zeiss HD5 3-15x42 scope onto the 280 Ack (previously wearing a Sig 4-12 Whiskey 3 with illuminated reticle) about a month ago and it gave me its smallest group yet. Additionally, my dope was dead on out to 400 yds. At 500 yards bullets were hitting about 6-7" higher than what my dope was calculated at, I had not shot this load at that distance previously.

Enjoy your new Rem-Hart!

They both seem like excellent rifles to me! Looking forward to seeing your range reports and hopefully a great hunt report this fall.

I'd tend to take the simple approach, and just put the scopes on the rifles as you intend to hunt them.

But, I do take the simple approach, 'cause all that thinking hurts my head. :grin:

Guy

Roland, my concern would be for the Ruger #1 since the scope mounts on the barrel whereas the scope mounts on the receiver of the Rem/Hart. It would seem to me that there would be a greater chance of changing the barrel harmonics on the Ruger.

Personally, I hate taking scopes on and off and would want to get to the final configuration in as few iterations as possible.

I am with Guy "just put the scopes on the rifles as you intend to hunt them."

Dan

NYDAN":1njbq9dl said:
Roland, my concern would be for the Ruger #1 since the scope mounts on the barrel whereas the scope mounts on the receiver of the Rem/Hart. It would seem to me that there would be a greater chance of changing the barrel harmonics on the Ruger.

Personally, I hate taking scopes on and off and would want to get to the final configuration in as few iterations as possible.

I am with Guy "just put the scopes on the rifles as you intend to hunt them."

Dan

IIRC, eye relief is usually less when the scope it set at its higher power. Scope position can be critical on the Ruger #1s regarding eye relief. Just ask me how I know. Currently, the only Ruger #1s I have that are not scoped are the .404 Jeffery and .416 Rigby. The several .300 Win. Mags (one "B" model and two "S" models, the second a 200th year gun.) just barely make it with low power variables and even then they still sometimes give me a kiss if I'm not careful.

That rib that the scope mounts on can be a problem if the rear portion makes contact with the receiver. If it is in contact, when the barrel heats up it presses harder against the receiver changing barrel harmonics. Cure is to remove it and remove just enough metal at the rear so it no longer contacts the receiver when the barrel gets hot. The thing is a bit of a bear to remove. It's not only bolted down but is on pins as well. At least the one I worked on was that way. All my #1s are the early red pad guns. Supposedly the black pad guns had better barrel by Ruger than from some contract outfit.
Paul B.

Thanks for the reminder Paul and I will keep an eye on the rib to see if there is any contact there as the barrel heats. I have a "Cresent eyebrow" from trying to use a rifle scope on a TC Encore pistol in .243 Winchester many years ago. My Number one was manufactured around 2002 or there abouts if I remember correctly.
Today I installed a Pachmayr Decelerator Slip-on recoil pad as the black hard rubber factory pad left a little to be desired when firing several rounds of near max loads of differing seating depths for load development.

Rol_P,

Practice the way you plan to play!!!
Work-up reloads the for the rifle and scope combination you plan to hunt!

Since the longer barrel is on your Rem-Hart, I would think that you may want the higher magnification on the bolt action and for the extra load development you may likely do with it.
Keep it simple = no switching.
Set up once, and you'll be happier with it!

Back