U.S. Optics

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
With the "robust scope" thread - I thought I'd bring up a little info on a scope not well known by many, U.S. Optics.

Yes, they're made right here in the USA, and yes, they're a true premium scope. Several years ago I had the opportunity to do a six month test of one on my SWAT/Sniper rifle - came away from that impressed, but with a few reservations. Am seeing these scopes mostly used by: military, police, long-range/precision shooters, and guys who just have to have "the best" scope available.

Here's a link to their web site - http://www.usoptics.com

I tested the SN3, 3.2-17x, with a big ol' objective lens. Good grief that thing was Big and Heavy. On the other hand, I've NEVER shot my rifle so well as I did with that scope on it...

Sorry the photos aren't as good, I was using an older digital camera at the time. I think you'll get the idea though, that this is a Big scope.

M40A1E.jpg

snowtruck.jpg

snowrifle1.jpg

Clarity, even in low light, was very good. Adjustments were Solid, with very distinct "clicks" as the elevation or windage knobs were dialed. This thing took a fall from about 6' onto rocks, while mounted on my rifle, and the zero didn't even budge. I can't say that about other scopes I've banged around a bit.

There was an illuminated reticle, nice in several low-light situations encountered during the test. Often in low light situations the target will still be visible, but the crosshairs fade away and can't be seen. With the illuminated reticle, even on the lowest setting, suddenly the crosshairs are visible again, and accurate shooting can be accomplished in amazingly low light. Poachers really ought to consider this one! Kidding!

I could go on about the great features of the scope, and how they're essentially custom built one by one, to your chosen specifications - and about how strong they are...

A few drawbacks were noted:

The entry fee isn't for everyone. Many U.S. Optics scopes are priced up in the $2,000+ range. They're not the only scopes that expensive, and there are USO scopes avail for less, but they're not cheap in any way.

It's a heavy rascal. Big, bulky and heavy. The SN-3 was designed for great optics and to be very rugged, not light. There are smaller, lighter models available.

Eye relief was pretty critical on the one I tested. If my eye was in the right spot behind the scope, all was well. Well? Even better, all was great! If I was a little out of position though, not so good. Very unlike the hunting scopes I favor which have a generous "eye box."

That's about it for the short version. I used that scope in SWAT training, on actual call-outs, in a long range match or two and on a couple of coyote hunting trips. It performed very well, and I only reluctantly handed it back. The department wasn't going to buy such an expensive scope for the team, but if my family budget had allowed, I'd have seriously considered keeping that scope. Sigh...

Anyway, that's a quick and dirty look at U.S. Optics.

Guy

Guy,

Thanks for the review. I've read nothing but good about U.S. Optics, but I've never had opportunity to handle any. This gives me some information in the event that I ever have the opportunity to acquire one of these scopes.

Wow, if a scope performs in that weather, it is a good scope
I have looked at some of these but they tend to be out of my price range.
Thanks Guy

I've always wanted to play with one of those ultra premium scopes....but I know if I did that my current glass, which seems to be working fine, would no longer be good enough and I'd have to start selling organs on the black market....so I purposely have never even bothered to look through one! You're a stronger man than I for not purchasing it following the trial period!

Yeah, I was offered a killer deal, but handed the scope back anyway... Sigh...

For a general purpose hunting rifle, I'd really much rather have one of my 6x Leupold scopes anyway, but these top-notch USO scopes have their place.

Guy

How much can I get for a kidney? And I thought Nightforce scopes are pricey. Like how you can somewhat custom build a US Optics scope since they start at $2000 :shock: I built one kinda like Guy was talking about and was running around $3200!

Guy,

Thanks for the update. I did not know much about U.S. Optics.

JD338

How much is shooting time extended at dusk and dawn using premium optics like this? I've always used Leupolds and been happy with them and really can't afford to buy a lot of glass much better than the VX-II and VX-III anyway. But, should I ever get the chance to go on that hunt of a lifetime I might want to upgrade at least one scope. What am I missing?

RiverRider":1f5w5c4w said:
How much is shooting time extended at dusk and dawn using premium optics like this? I've always used Leupolds and been happy with them and really can't afford to buy a lot of glass much better than the VX-II and VX-III anyway. But, should I ever get the chance to go on that hunt of a lifetime I might want to upgrade at least one scope. What am I missing?

RR, I was the same way as you, I had pretty much all VXIII-3's or even a few VX I's and never really knew any different. I got the first Minox from 257 Ackley and it opened my eyes quite alot to what I was actually missing out on. Since then, I have been on a quest to replace VX3's with Minox ZA5's or ZA3's and haven't been disappointed in the least. You don't have to spend huge amounts of money to match or beat Leupold's. Then again, for a little over what a VX3 costs, you can step into a Z3 Swaro, Zeiss Conquest and the like for very little.

I am not bashing Leupold a bit, as I still like some of their scopes and still have a couple VX3's, but I won't buy more of the 2-10X-15X scopes they offer, as there are others that work better, for me. I do like and will continue to use Leupold's low power scopes though, like their 1.5x5, and the like. I was Leupold through and through, couldn't/wouldn't think of something else, till Joel really sang about the Minox's, those really kinda let the light in for me, so to speak.

RR, I've watched game moving at 600 yards with my Leica GeoVids, and this was fully thirty minutes before shooting light (thirty minutes before sunrise in BC). When I looked through my rifle scopes, whether Zeiss or Swarovski or Kahles or Leica, I could see as clearly as I could with the GeoVids. Grabbing my VXL or VX3, I could not see the game at that same time. It doesn't extend the hunting time by much, but it is significant.

Mike is spot on. My Z6 is like that and gathers an insane amount of light. You will never believe it until you see it first hand.

Back