Unertl scopes

264 WinMan

Beginner
Mar 16, 2009
Hello gentlemen,

I have a question involving Unertl scopes. I have a Rem. 513t and the base mount screws are on the barrel. I have seen a 513t mounted with a Unertl scope on it. Now I was told and purchased Weaver scope bases number 43 and 44 that fit the 513t. Is this the proper mount for the Unertl style mounts?I do not want to drill the receiver to accommodate a standard type new style scope. Or I was told to put a scout scope on it for the long eye relief. What do you think?

Is this an older Unertl with the spring on it? I love those old scopes, but the ones I have used were for smallbore competition and had rubber eye cups on them. I can't imagine shooting anything bigger than a .22 with them as the eye relief was very short. As far as the mounts, I can't really remember, but I do remember some of them having a mount where a rear adjustable iron sight was. Those scopes bring big money and they are really cool. The one I used most was a fixed 20X and that was for 50ft. Post pics if you have any.

Rob

Take the rifle and scope to a gunsmith or two. Most of them have the old type bases that your looking for. Lyman made those bases as well.

Under recoil, even centerfire, those scopes move forward away from the eye.

I have used a 15X Unertl Ultra Varmint on a 243 for decades and other Lyman Supertargetspots as well on centerfires.

6mmintlf9b31a0a1so.jpg

Thank yall for the replys.
OnlyBrowning the link you sent was great. Yes this is the type of scope I am interested in. Trying to look at the link pics the bases when the scope is off looks like the bases I have. The Rem 513t is called a Match Master 22lr. The lady who owned the gun shot it in Oklahoma and was state champ in the late 40's or the early 50's I cannot remember. She was my parents next door neighbor. It shoots well with the 27" bull barrel. I just want to make sure before I dive off into alot of money and cannot make it work.
Thanks again,
Gene

P.S. If you or anybody can find any more info it would be great.

Hey Savage99,
A most beautiful rifle you have there. It looks like a helluva tack driver just sitting there. Thanks for the pic

264 Win Man,

Thanks for the compliment. The rifle is my 40X chambered for the 6mm Rem. International cartridge. I am an old retired target shooter who used that rifle for the 200 yd position matches in CT.

The rifle started out with the factory marksman stock but I obtained the thumbhole stock blank from Rem and its still as you see it. Those matches are all fired with iron sights and you can see the bases for them.

I did win some of the leagues and in fact I won an invitation to tryout for the US olympic 'free rifle' team . These days those slow fire matches are not as popular with the black rifles taking over.

Back