Unleash the RUM

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Well she is back and better that ever. Just had this baby re-barreled with a 26" 1:8 RPM Proof. Topped her of with Hawkins lightweight rings and a Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-14x42mm. All about 8 lbs. Call me a masochist but I will be starting load development with the 210 ABLR. I know they can be a bitch to find a load with. Looking at a bullet that will stay together and have the highest possible BC. If you guys have a better suggestion please advise. Heck I even thought about going the 215 Berger hybrid route but:
A. Can not locate a single one
B. Not crazy about explosive bullets.
I do know that they do well at long range. Anyway Hope she likes the 210.

Attachments

• 300 rum.jpg
    300 rum.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 25
Fotis
Your 300 RUM looks great. It should be a long range hammer. I know the 200 gr AB doesn't have the high BC you are looking for but at .588, it's still pretty decent. Run that at 3100-3200 fps and it's still a thumper for anything in NA near or far.

JD338

Good looking rig.
If I had known you were looking for those 215's, I could have helped you out about 3 months ago...

212 ELD-X has .663 BC, you may want to give this a try, it should be easy to load for.
And I have a few boxes of those question is where the hole together the place where I hunt to have shot them from 10 yards believe it or not all the way out to 770

And I have a few boxes of those question is where the hole together the place where I hunt to have shot them from 10 yards believe it or not all the way out to 770
The 200gr ELDX uses the same jacket as the 212 so it’s a little tougher. Tends to hold together better.

The 200gr ELDX uses the same jacket as the 212 so it’s a little tougher. Tends to hold together better.
Actually you lost me there. If they both have the same jacket in the 212 is heavier it should stand to reason but the 212 would be a better bullet to use no? The 212 is an ELD x also

The jacket is thicker on the 200, the 212 draws it out a touch longer making it a thinner jacket and more explosive bullet. That’s why the recommend the 200gr ELDX for bigger elk/moose over the 212 unless longer ranges are more likely.

I was listening to Back country hunter podcadt when he asked a Hornady rep about why the 200 seemed to exit more often. Anecdotally he watched 2 out of 4 exit a large bull moose at close range and had not seen the 212s penetrate nearly as well

Well she is back and better that ever. Just had this baby re-barreled with a 26" 1:8 RPM Proof. Topped her of with Hawkins lightweight rings and a Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-14x42mm. All about 8 lbs. Call me a masochist but I will be starting load development with the 210 ABLR. I know they can be a bitch to find a load with. Looking at a bullet that will stay together and have the highest possible BC. If you guys have a better suggestion please advise. Heck I even thought about going the 215 Berger hybrid route but:
Looks good. I wouldn’t overlook Berger Target Hybrids. I used the 230gr in my 30-378 before a rebarrel. They did good on deer , not explosive like other target bullets. Make sure the tips are open and let them rip.

Fotis,
I have a partial box of 210 ABLR's if you want them
JD338

Good luck with your load development, Fotis. I look forward to seeing the targets. Dan

I have a box of 210 ABLR that I might of cut one in half out of. Here are 220 Bergers

I've killed a bunch of elk with 215's and watched many more shot with them. I personally would try to find 230's for the best performance with that horsepower but the 215's will get it done too. They actually perform better at long range. They aren't as explosive when they slow down and will exit at longer ranges. I've never had a elk go more than about 80yds after being shot with one and it happened to be the biggest bull I've shot. The second biggest bull went about 50yds. They rest were from DRT to less than 20-30yds. I've probably witnessed 25-30 elk killed with them.

I've shot lots of ELD-M's and Amax's too and if anything I think they kill better than Bergers. I just built a 30-28 Nosler (Defiance Anti, Proof Sendero, McMillan Game Scout, and Nightforce NX8 4x32 that weighs 8lbs 10oz) and it shoots 208 ELD-M's pretty well at 3065fps with H-1000. It should be over 3100 once the barrel breaks in. Other powders will go faster but H-1000 is super temp stable. It's going to get put to use on some furry critters this year. The 208's have almost the same BC as the 215 Bergers. The 225's have a even higher BC but typically lose 100fps or more.

I was looking around today and I found a couple of boxes of Barnes 208 lrx and I looked them up and they have a BC of 0.65 so I loaded those up I forgot I had them

Holy smokes, I really dig it!

If it were mine, with that 8 twist, I'd look for one of the newer Barnes or Hammers if the 210 ABLR doesn't work. I have a thought the 1-8 might be good for that 210 ABLR though. I also used the 230's a bit on paper from my 300 RUM and they still clocked 3000-3050 pretty easily and my gold standard for accuracy for a good all around bullet is that wicked 220 Scenar. That thing shoots, and I trust it in the RUM. A few deer were shot with that bullet at nearly 3100 with nice holes and exits without extreme fragmentation.

The jacket is thicker on the 200, the 212 draws it out a touch longer making it a thinner jacket and more explosive bullet. That’s why the recommend the 200gr ELDX for bigger elk/moose over the 212 unless longer ranges are more likely.

I was listening to Back country hunter podcadt when he asked a Hornady rep about why the 200 seemed to exit more often. Anecdotally he watched 2 out of 4 exit a large bull moose at close range and had not seen the 212s penetrate nearly as well

I listened to the same one TB78. I wonder if the 200's were beefed up a little, but the ones I used and tried in jugs alongside the 212's did not show me they were tougher at all. The 212's would shed the jacket, but everything was in the last jug laying there, the 200 just came unglued. Speeds at impact were within 50 FPS of one another.

Might need to give them a try again, as they might be a decent choice. When I listed to JVB talk about that it made me wonder..

Back