Update! Model 70 Featherweight 280 rem.. I bought it!!

rmarshall

Handloader
Mar 10, 2010
Would I be short changed with only a 22" barrel? I'm in the process of buying one. What kind of velocities should I get with 140-150 weights? I know accuracy is the utmost but a little speed in doing so would be great as well. thanks

rmarshall

The speeds you could realistically be getting with a 22 inch barreled .280 Remington shooting 140's is high 3000 - to low 3100 fps range.
With the 150's high 2900 - to low 3000 fps.
All that by Handloading.
Factory averages will be 100-200 fps lower,
Respectably.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

HAWKEYESATX":3g7xvxwy said:
rmarshall

The speeds you could realistically be getting with a 22 inch barreled .280 Remington shooting 140's is high 3000 - to low 3100 fps range.
With the 150's high 2900 - to low 3000 fps.
All that by Handloading.
Factory averages will be 100-200 fps lower,
Respectably.

I'll second those thoughts. The .280 Rem. is one of Remington's screwups in that they underloaded the round to be compatible with their semi-auto rifles. I've been able to safely reach 2900+ FPS with two powders in my .280 and 160 gr. bullets. I have a 24" barrel so subtract maybe 50 FPS as a realistic picture.
Paul B.

My focus has been on accuracy over speed, but you can get near 3000 according to the Nosler book. I have a T/C Prohunter that never was accurate with the 28" barrel, but became a good MOA gun with 5" inches lopped off. Easier to carry and only gave up 105 fps.

Best yet, you can rechamber your Win for .280AI. Just do it right away and don't look back.

rmarshall,

The .280 Remington without being modified, is an excellent hunting/long-range round in its own accord.
I have a Thompson Center Venture with 24 inch barrel, and shoots within the companies guarantee of 1 inch at 100 yds.
The bullets you are thinking about, and the velocities you will be using will give you 500 + yards to anchor any game animal on this continent, plus quite a few other continents as well.
The gun writer Layne Simpson calls the .280 Remington a .30-06 without all the recoil!
Several others, including Craig Boddington, have written very well about the .280, and its abilities.
Unless you have the extra money to have a rechamber job done, the regular .280 will serve you well. Any game animal won't notice the difference between a .280 or a .280 AI.
Also, if you want more performance, load the .280 to .270 pressure specs, which you can safely do, and the difference between the .280 and .280 AI is even a lot less.

DrMike has one of those and I seem to remember it being one of his favourite guns which should tell you something. I wouldn't be afraid of a 22" barrel at all.

gerry":2blftm3q said:
DrMike has one of those and I seem to remember it being one of his favourite guns which should tell you something. I wouldn't be afraid of a 22" barrel at all.

For sure, my Featherweight 280 is a favourite. Can't see me getting rid of it anytime soon. I've taken a ton of whitetail and mule deer with this rifle. It is a joy to carry and to shoot.

Thanks everyone for the replies! I did buy the Rifle, I’m pretty excited to give it whirl! I’ll keep you posted and send pics soon!

rmarshall,

Outstanding deal!
I'm pretty sure you'll be very happy with it!

My first .280 was a Mod 77 "tang safety", back in the late 70's. I also started handloading then. My favorite deer load was 55gr IMR 4831, Remington case & Rem 9 1/2 primer under a Hornady 139sp. No idea how fast it was, but I shot my first "long range" (for my part of East Tx then) 276 long steps whitetail. He dropped right there, still had grass in his mouth! Its a great round!

My first .280 was a Model 70 Featherweight in the push feed configuration. It shot extremely well. I wasn't as knowledgeable in those days and thought it wasn't a "real" Model 70. The rifle went down the road. As soon as Winchester offered the .280 in the Classic action, I bought it. I love it, but it doesn't shoot any better than the push feed I had. Since those days, I've picked up a couple of push feed models for far less than they are worth. Guess I'm not the only one who didn't really know that CRF wasn't necessary for a rifle to shoot well.

DrMike":3os3r9g0 said:
My first .280 was a Model 70 Featherweight in the push feed configuration. It shot extremely well. I wasn't as knowledgeable in those days and thought it wasn't a "real" Model 70. The rifle went down the road. As soon as Winchester offered the .280 in the Classic action, I bought it. I love it, but it doesn't shoot any better than the push feed I had. Since those days, I've picked up a couple of push feed models for far less than they are worth. Guess I'm not the only one who didn't really know that CRF wasn't necessary for a rifle to shoot well.
DrMike welcome to the M70 PF club. I have 3 and have to stay off GB to keep from buying more but they are getting more scarce then they were when I was buying them.
They are dependable and great shooters.

OP congrats on the new rifle.

I've had several PF Winchester M70's, and never had a problem with them. I've had them in .223, .243, .270, and .30-06.
The 2 most accurate ones were the .223, and .243. the .270 & .30-06 weren't too far behind the first 2.
At that time, I didn't know about the pre 64 M70's, and when the classics came out, had wondered why everyone was raving about them, and they always made the reference back to the pre 64's and controlled round feed.
Now, after thinking about it, I never thought the post 64's were any less than the pre 64's.
I never, while in the field, had a any misfeeds, or failures to eject. And I certainly never did any shooting upside down to where the PF would cause any problems.
But, I guess there are some that probably had to stop, drop, and roll with a PF, while cycling the action, and found out the rounds would drop out?!?
To each his own I suppose.
They were well made rifles, and served me very well.

Congrats on the 280!

I for one would be A-OK with a 280 in a 22" barrel. Actually it would be preferred for the most part. I kinda cheat with the 280 in loading and use 270 Winchester data for the 280 since it is loaded a bit warmer and to date I haven't been burned by this method.

I can't see you ever having many issues getting a 140 grain bullet up to and over 3000 in a 22" barrel and like Paul mentioned, no big trick to get 2900 from the 160's. The Classic Featherweight is a gem!

Back