Used Brass shells and Cash

Idaho53

Full Blood American
Feb 5, 2023
Morning, been going to the range picking up empty brass folks are leaving behind. I took the brass to the local recycle center and got $2 a pound. Was surprised that my bucket had 35 lbs of brass, and they gave me $70 cash. Wanted to share....

There was a kid about 12-13 who used to walk to our range from his house 2-3 times a week just before sunset and rake up all the brass. Don’t know if he sold it as scrap or sorted and sold it as once fired, but he said that’s how he paid for movies, video games, etc…he has a bright future.

Morning, been going to the range picking up empty brass folks are leaving behind. I took the brass to the local recycle center and got $2 a pound. Was surprised that my bucket had 35 lbs of brass, and they gave me $70 cash. Wanted to share....
You could probably sell it on Gun Broker and get more money.

JD338

I have been throwing my old brass in a bucket plus picking up range scrap for some time. Took some to the recycle place while back and some of the 9mm brass was brass coated steel cases. Didn't know they existed. Wasn't many otherwise my effort would have been less profitable. Dan.

I saved all of my exhausted, high-end brass for some time. All the brass was deprimed and very clean. I lugged it down to the scrap yard to see what I could get. They put my brass on a giant scale that weighs pallets full of scrap. Naturally, they came up with a weight that was less than my digital bathroom scale. :rolleyes: There was a sign on the wall with metal prices. Brass was listed at $1.30/lb. When I went to the window to cash out, the guy underpaid me. I pointed to the sign that reads $1.30/lb and he said that doesn't apply to cartridge brass. He gave me a dollar/lb.

All-in-all, it was a big waste of my time. Now I leave all of my exhausted brass at our club and let them sell it. Hopefully, no one picks up my Lapua, ADG, Alpha & Peterson brass thinking that they found a gold mine because the brass is spent by the time I toss it in there.

Last edited:
I saved all of my exhausted, high-end brass for some time. All the brass was deprimed in very clean. I lugged it down to the scrap yard to see what I could get. They put my brass on a giant scale that weighs pallets full of scrap. Naturally, they came up with a weight that was less than my digital bathroom scale. :rolleyes: There was a sign on the wall with metal prices. Brass was listed at $1.30/lb. When I went o the window to cash out, the guy underpaid me. I pointed to the sign that reads $1.30/lb and he said that doesn't apply to cartridge brass. He gave me a dollar/lb.

All-in-all, it was a big waste of my time. Now I leave all of my exhausted brass at our club and let them sell it. Hopefully, no one picks up my Lapua, ADG, Alpha & Peterson brass thinking that they found a gold mine because the brass is spent by the time I toss it in there.
You may have been ripped off, Charlie.

The empties left behind at our range is usually crimped 223 or steel 7.62x39

You probably right about selling on GB. I still can't believe someone left once-fired .338 Lapua Brass behind....they shouldn't even own that gun:unsure:
At one range I go to, I check the garbage can. They throw brass from factory ammo in the trash can!!!!

In January when it was -5° for a week I decided to organize my reloading area and gun cleaning room. I had twice to four times fired brass from old barrels from up to 10 to 15 years ago. ( I tighten primer pockes).
Needing more shelving space I decided to recycle all that brass, on a moment of indecision I also took a three quarter full five gallon bucket of spent primers and dozen shot out SS and CM barrels also.

Walked out with almost $500. Yes, they took my spent primers also. I couldn't believe it.

I saved all of my exhausted, high-end brass for some time. All the brass was deprimed and very clean. I lugged it down to the scrap yard to see what I could get. They put my brass on a giant scale that weighs pallets full of scrap. Naturally, they came up with a weight that was less than my digital bathroom scale. :rolleyes: There was a sign on the wall with metal prices. Brass was listed at $1.30/lb. When I went to the window to cash out, the guy underpaid me. I pointed to the sign that reads $1.30/lb and he said that doesn't apply to cartridge brass. He gave me a dollar/lb.

I've taken a few buckets of brass to the recyclers. They've all told me there is a difference in price between cartridge brass and "yellow" brass. I always thought brass was brass but I guess that was wrong thinking.
Paul B.

I've taken a few buckets of brass to the recyclers. They've all told me there is a difference in price between cartridge brass and "yellow" brass. I always thought brass was brass but I guess that was wrong thinking.
Paul B.
I'm not too sure about the difference but I even went through the trouble of knocking the primers out of every case. I thought that if I left the primers in they would say it was "mixed metal" and pay a lower price.

Either way - now I'm happy to don't all that I have to our club.

In the past, I would find once fired .308, 30-06 & 6.5 creed brass. I'd usually locate the new boxes that they came out of too. I don't use it myself, but I'd post it for free to any active service members. It all went quick. That sure beat selling it for scrap.

One day at the range I saw some factory ammo boxes (Winchester) with .270 and 30-06 labels. I checked the boxes and all have what appeared to be once fired factory. On that assumption, I started "digging for gold". I ended up with ten boxes of 30-06 an 8 of .270 Win. That's the happy part of the story. The not so happy was there were also a lot of soda pop cans and soda pop attracts bees. Every time I stuck my hand to get more boxes or loose brass I was gambling on being stung. Besides the full boxes of brass, I'd also gotten about a dozen of more each of the two cartridges I was dogging for. A guy came up while I wad doing this and asked what I was looking for and I said some brass. He asked what cartridge and when I tole him he asked if I'd let him dig for some. I told him to be careful of the bees and let him have at it. He did get stung a couple of times but came out OK.

All I can add is either someone or a group had fun burning off a bunch of factory ammo or had cleaned up at home and dumped them at the range. I did give that brass a very close insspection and it looks like the 06 all came from the same rifle and the .270 from two different guns. I've used that brss a few times and never had a problem. Still have a couple of boxes that are once fired.
Paul B.

Range members discarding their 9mm brass is what got me into shooting and loading the 9mm. Got enough to last me. Now I just scrap it.

Back