Vortex Viper

Desert Fox

Handloader
Aug 14, 2006
My buddy Frank is bringing one tomorrow for field testing. I'll mount it on his 300 Weatherby Custom which will be a perfect rifle to test this new offering from Vortex. I read a lot of good reviews about other Vortex products. We'll see how this one perform. I'll report my findings tomorrow.

DF,

I'm looking forward to your report. We have a passel of Vortex scopes that are offered. I haven't heard from anyone who bought one, yet.

Please break it and return it for repair so we can see how they do.

Now, that is funny! However, it does raise a good point. Sometimes, bargains are more costly than we imagine when we need service.

Well, this new offering from Vortex impressed the heck out of me. I don't know where to begin. First of, the glass in this thing is superior to any of my Leupolds including the Mark IV. The only scope that I have that came close to the glass quality of Vortex is my IOR. When looking through the scope, the resolution and contrast is so sharp from edge to edge. The colors were so vivid that it gave my Zeiss Diascope a run for it's money. The lens on the Viper has a greenish tent to it like the Nikon Monarch. As the matter of fact, the dial knobs resembles the Monarchs. I won't be surprise if they were made at the same factory in the Philippines. The Viper is light considering it's size which is a very large scope.

How does it performed?

If I was impressed with the features, I was more impressed with the Vipers performance. Franks and I didn't have much time and bullet to really run the scope with my usual box test test. However we did enough shooting to get the feel of the scope performance. We set the target at 50 yards and I asked Frank to fire two shot to established the rifle zero. The first shot landed 1 and a half inches high and 1 and a half inches right from a clean barrel. The second landed the same height but about 3/4" apart from the first shot but closer to the center of the vertical line. I instructed Frank to dial the scope 6 clicks down 6 clicks left and fire another shot. The bullet landed 3/4 inch high above the bullseye and about less than half inch to the right of the vertical line. I told Frank to fire another one which he did. The bullet landed the same height but about a quarter inch on the other side of the vertical line. I told Franks that I suspect the horizontal despersion was from the trigger that was hurridly tuned by the gunsmith before our departure for Africa. The weight of full in this thing was probably around 5 lbs and Frank can not get used to it. At about this same time, I also realized that our target was at 50 yards so I'm only giving Frank half the correct value so I instructed him to gave the elevation turret 6 more clicks down and fire another shot. This time he hit the bullseye. Five shot and the rifle was zeroed.

We then moved the target to 110 yard line and Frank fired 1 shot. The bullet was hitting half inch high of the bullseye but centered to the vertical line. We gave it 2 clicks down and fired. The rifle zeroed at 110 yards with just 2 shots.

It's early to tell how this scope will perform in actual hunting condition. I would like to do a box test on it in the future to check it's repeatability. From what I observed so far the clicks was right on and seems very precise. We switched bullet from Sciroco to Barnes TSX and were able to re-established zero for that bullet in 5 rounds. I think we have a winner here. I can buy two of this scopes for the price of one VX3. The warranty is no issue for these scope... just as good as Leupolds. I can see a Viper in my upcoming build. DF

Thanks for the post. A report from someone I've watched over a period of time is more meaningful than from a writer than may or may not have a financial interest in what is reported. Your report certainly would make me want to look at one of the Vortex scopes. Thanks again.

Thanks for the report. I have field checked some Vortex optics at a past Media Range Day at SHOT. They offered me some loaners, but when I sent them an email after the Show that was the last I heard from them.

The thing I love about Leupold's service is they deliver. I don't know about these guys, but if their service lives up to my experience so far I would not be happy.

jim

The biggest trouble with service on other than Leupold scopes is that you need it much more often than Leupold. The best service is one you never need. That is why I use Leupold on all my serious hunting rifles which I must depend on in any weather. I will use other brands on fair weather rifles for fun or squirrel(varmit) shooting. It is not any big thing if they act up. Some of my thoughts come from working in a gun shop and others actual hunting with many different people.
My 2 Cents

There is no doubt Leupold warranty is one of the best, if not the best in the industry. Vortex being a newcomer in the optics business must built their reputation from the ground up. I will surmised to say that they'll stand by their products and will go out of their way to make sure you're satisfied.

Here's Vortex statement.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/vip_warranty

Desert Fox":3uesqw6s said:
I will surmised to say that they'll stand by their products and will go out of their way to make sure you're satisfied.

I hope shooters will be able to post that they are happy with Vortex's service, but that remains to be seen. I know what they say on their website, but electrons are cheap.

I do admit in the past to returning a scope to a manufacturer just to see how long it would take them to tell me it was still good, and how they handled things.

jim

Leupold has always done a superb job when it comes to service repair and turn-around time. Unfortunately, I have had to use their service more times than I have with any other manufacturer. Burris has really let their quality control slip, and their repair service is horrible. The last one I sent back to them took 3 times to get it repaired. I don't think they did a thing to it the first time. I could still see the dust particles on an internal lense which was the main focus of my complaint. I've used Bushnell once, and they did a good service. I've had better luck with Nikon than any other scope brand. I have never used their repair service. Vortex will need to improve the eye relief at the higher magnification levels. The scopes I have inspected did not display the advertised eye relief. It was much shorter.

I still have to send any of my Leupold for repair but I did sent a couple of scopes to have target knob installed. However, I had an opportunity dealing with other manufacturer. I once sent my cheapo Simmons, with a cracked lens for service. I got my scope back after two weeks with a new lens, no charge to me. I lost a turret cap on my V-16 Weaver during a hunt. I called Weaver for one cap and 4 days later a pair arrived no charged. One notable experienced was with IOR Valdada Optics. I bought it used and mounted it in my 338 Lapua, a scope killer of a rifle. After a little over twenty rounds, the rifle ripped it apart. IOR send me an equivalent but newer Model and that too lasted just sixty rounds. Again IOR sent me another scope and this time, I kind of feel sorry for them. I know if I mounted it on my 338, it too won't last. So I mounted it in my 308 and it's there ever since with no issue. The bottom line, I've had but good luck with my dealings with manufacturers. I noticed that anything that deals with shooting industry as a whole back their products better than any other industry.

I've been shooting a Vortex Diamondback for about 2 years...with nothing but smiles. We own a few Leupolds....and they are nice, but I must honestly say that I find myself drawn to the Vortex and the price was right were I needed it to be for a lot better scope than I honestly expected.

Since then I have acquired a Vortex Strikefire for my AR15 and I love it.

I'm always looking for good value.
I wonder how they hold up? Does anyone have one of these on a big gun, like the 300 bee, or a 338 with 250+ rounds throught it? Maybe you buddy will let you put it on the Lapua for about 60 rounds? :grin:

Antelope_Sniper":bn00oitf said:
I'm always looking for good value.
I wonder how they hold up? Does anyone have one of these on a big gun, like the 300 bee, or a 338 with 250+ rounds throught it? Maybe you buddy will let you put it on the Lapua for about 60 rounds? :grin:

A_S, Only time will tell. As you know, rifles equipped with brake are the number one scope destroyers. My buddy Frank and I just received two more Vipers last week, one for his upcoming 257 Weatherby build and mine for my 6.5-284 Norma. I can't get to the range yet to do extensive test on both rifle and scope due to wifey underwent emergency surgery. It will be another weeks before I'll be able to get to the range. I'll let you know what my findings will be.

Thanks Guys,

She underwent Anterior cervical discectomy last Thursday - That's is the removal of a herniated disc in her cervical spine between 3 and 4 and 4 and 5 vertebrae on the lower neck area. I'm home right now taking care of her and attending to her needs as a good husband should be. Recovery time will be 6 to 8 weeks. I'm off from work for 3 weeks. Hopefully she'll be well enough before I get back to work.

Regards,

DF

DF,

I`m so grateful for the skills of modern surgeons and physicians. The Democrats notwithstanding, American medicine is simply amazing. I do pray for a speedy recovery with a minimum of discomfort.

DrMike":vbt7120c said:
DF,

I`m so grateful for the skills of modern surgeons and physicians. The Democrats notwithstanding, American medicine is simply amazing. I do pray for a speedy recovery with a minimum of discomfort.

Thanks DrMike! Indeed, it's amazing the advancement of technology in the field of medicine these days. The disc that was remove was replaced with a putty like material called Demineralized bone matrix. Pretty much a pulverized cadaver bone that looks like silicon putty. I myself underwent surgery in 02 to remove the tumor ( Acoustic Neuroma) in my right ear. If I waited a few more years, which I could have, since the tumor was slow growing, they could have it done without opening my skull using Gamma Knife, and probably they could have saved the hearing in my right ear.
There is no doubt that american medicine is the best in the world. I am also confident that people in this country won't allow those that are currently trying to undermine the best health care there is.

Back