VX3 1.75-6X32

What cartridge, Rodger? I like the scope, having owned a couple of them. I used them on lever rifles, and they worked quite well. The scope would work well in many instances where long distances weren't involved. It affords a good field of view and good eye relief. As my eyes deteriorate with age, I have been forced to up the power somewhat; but this is still a good scope.

DrMike, 35 Whelen Imp, thinking of putting it on the M70 when I get it back.

I all ready have a 1.5-5X20 on my 06 and really like it but can see where a little more magnification would be better but like the fast handling of these scopes for jump shooting in heavy cover with both eyes open on lower power.

Wish someone would make a good 2-10X42 that would be in the $400 range. That is my favorite power range for all around hunting and target shooting.

For the use you describe, the VX3 1.75-6X32 will work quite well. I believe you would be pleased with it.

Great scope and very bright in low light. I have one on my Marlin 1895 45-70.
DeerSeason2011006.jpg

Should be ideal for the 35 Whelen AI.
JD338

DrMike, I like the larger lens for better light gathering and the new coatings which makes it better for dusk and dawn shooting. The 1.5-5X20 is great for hunting in my area but sometimes higher magnification would be nice and 6X is just about right but 10x would be about perfect for here.

...I sure love my 2.5X8 VX-3, same price as the 1.75X5, weighs an ounce more. A whole deer fits in the scope @ 40', I went out on the back porch & checked, you're not really giving up much 'field of view', about 2' @ 30yds., but 8X is a definite step up from 5X. I've used mine in the 'black timber' of N.ID., shooying across canyons & 40ac. wheatfields. Lot of deer, elk, & bear between 20 & 450yds...

wildgene":2rp78dfu said:
...I sure love my 2.5X8 VX-3, same price as the 1.75X5, weighs an ounce more. A whole deer fits in the scope @ 40', I went out on the back porch & checked, you're not really giving up much 'field of view', about 2' @ 30yds., but 8X is a definite step up from 5X. I've used mine in the 'black timber' of N.ID., shooying across canyons & 40ac. wheatfields. Lot of deer, elk, & bear between 20 & 450yds...
Good points.
I would add that on 8X, the cross hairs fit perfectly in a 6" bullseye at 500 yds. The 2.5-8x36mm is my favorite scope.

JD338

JD338":16cxql1h said:
wildgene":16cxql1h said:
Good points.
I would add that on 8X, the cross hairs fit perfectly in a 6" bullseye at 500 yds. The 2.5-8x36mm is my favorite scope.

JD338
+1 ,This is also my favorite scope. I have it atop my .308 and would mine getting another. Lee

I also had the vx3 2.5-8x36 on the 35 whelen you now own Rodger. It was a perfect combo.Lee

I have owned four of the 2.5-8X36 VX3 scopes, and I still have two. Fine scope that provides consistent service.

JD338":1jjfrfj8 said:
wildgene":1jjfrfj8 said:
Good points.

JD338
Jim, which reticule are you referring to?

truck driver":2fttnxww said:
JD338":2fttnxww said:
wildgene":2fttnxww said:
Good points.

JD338
Jim, which reticule are you referring to?

The standard DuPlex reticle.
BTW, I have a 2.5-8x36mm onn my 35 Whelen. ;)

JD338

Thanks for the info Jim. Right now I have a 3-12X42 on my M700 35 Whelen but it hasn't seen a lot of field usage just mostly range work with one deer season on it.

I think you would be really happy with the VX-3 2.5-8x36mm on your 35 Whelen AI.
You have a 400 yard rifle and a scope that can cover it all.

JD338

I have1.75-6x32 on one of my BLR's in 358 Win, while the other wears the 1.5-5x20.
Both great scopes and have worked well for years, in all types of scenarios from dense brush to open fields, on bear, moose and elk, and have yet to not prove sufficient.

I've also used the 2.5-8x36 on several rifles over the years, and they are now on my wife's rifles in 7mm-08 and 250 Savage. Also great scopes and work very well, and will prove sufficient for all the hunting that she will do with either rifle.

While I really like the extra light gathering ability of the 2.5-8x36, I appreciate the larger field of view on the 1.5-5x20 when using that 358 in dense brush tracking down bears. And the 1.75-6x32 is a good compromise for a rifle that may need the best of both worlds; more magnification, good field of view with more light gathering ability.

Blkram":nz9a88wk said:
I have1.75-6x32 on one of my BLR's in 358 Win, while the other wears the 1.5-5x20.
Both great scopes and have worked well for years, in all types of scenarios from dense brush to open fields, on bear, moose and elk, and have yet to not prove sufficient.

I've also used the 2.5-8x36 on several rifles over the years, and they are now on my wife's rifles in 7mm-08 and 250 Savage. Also great scopes and work very well, and will prove sufficient for all the hunting that she will do with either rifle.

While I really like the extra light gathering ability of the 2.5-8x36, I appreciate the larger field of view on the 1.5-5x20 when using that 358 in dense brush tracking down bears. And the 1.75-6x32 is a good compromise for a rifle that may need the best of both worlds; more magnification, good field of view with more light gathering ability.
Blkram, if you could only have one which would it be , the 2.5-8X36 or the 1.75-6X32?

Back