W231 loads

Mark

Beginner
Sep 10, 2006
I loaded 100 rounds of .45's using 6.2-6.3 grns. of W231 with Sierra's and Nosler's 185 grain match bullets and they shoot just fine.

My Sierra and Nosler manuals shows that the hottest load is 6.3-6.4 grains while the Speer manual says 7.4 for .45 caliber 185 grain bullets.

I have not established the velocity of the loads yet due to rains we have had but what is the hottest loadings for W231 with 185 grain bullets?
:?:

I assume that the loads that I have made should be in the 800-850 fps. range but will go to the farm and chronograph some of these loads soon.

There is a local pistol tournament that the locals gather at the indoor shooting range every Thursday night and shoot bowling pins for the fastest time and human silouette targets for group size. I will go there to get more information and see what its like. I ain't no racegunner but I think I have a strategy. If those guys are mostly shooting bowling pins for time, why not use a .22 Ruger Competition Target model with Eley Rifle target ammo and that xtra long barrel to quickly shoot without muzzle rise compared to those guys that use centerfire pistols with muzzle rise and need to come down to aim and fire. Hmmmm, I will check the rules out Thursday. I took off the scope I had on it last week, it shoots around 1/8 inch group at 25 yards off a bench and does the same with CCI Green Tag's.

My records show 6.5 gr with XTP's (185) producing about 925 fps.

you probably have to knock the pin off the table for it to count.

think a 22 is up to it? :wink:

Good question, I will have to wait till tonight to hear the rules.
Mark

Back