Wanted 25-06 Heavy barrel rifle

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Prefer 26" tube. Must be in newer condition.

PM me or e-mail me...

POP,

Does the by chance tie into a post you had a while back about the ultimate varmite rifle ?? :?: :grin:

Ultimate varmint rifle eh??

Well POP, if I didn't like mine so much I'd see if you wanted it, cash talks you know, LOL.

The 25-06 is the last cartridge I'd part with...

I've had 4 of them now over 8 years. Got quite a bit of experience with the cartridge and probly 5,000 rounds down the barrels between them in 8 years. Started shooting/loading for one when I was 15. I've tried literally every bullet in .257" and tried virtually every powder from H-4895 to IMR-4064 with lightweights to H-1000, IMR-7828 and Retumbo for heavy weights. First rifle was a ruger mk2 Stainless/synthetic with brake. Shot the barrel out 3000 rounds and 3 years later. First (long range gun so to speak). 2nd rifle was a Winchester model 70 classic sporter. Beautiful rifle and wasn't picky with bullets/loads. Just shot everything I wanted it to seemed like 1/2 MOA-3/4 MOA. At the time I also picked up an old Rem 700 BDL at the pawn shop and it was a good shooter as well. I planned on using it as a truck gun for coyotes, and using my winchester for deer. I didn't have it long as a friend wanted/needed a deer rifle and since I had 2 of them I decided to sell him the rem 700 BDL. Couple months went by and I saw a Rem 700 with 24" Shilen light varmint contour with a 4-12 leupold for a good price. I decided to sell my winchester to a friend who had wanted that rifle since day 1. I promised him that if I was to ever sell it, I would let him have first dibs. He didn't hesitate!! As much as I hated to do it, I did it anyways. I was selling a rifle that was a 1/2 MOA shooter for something I didn't know would shoot at all. LOL, ya right. Everyone knows every 25-06 just flat out shoots. I've really only worked up loads with 2 bullets in this rifle, 100g NBT with IMR-4831, and 115g VLD with RL-22 and Retumbo and all 3 loads will easily do 1"-2.5" group at 400 yards.

Anyways sorry to ramble on the 25-06. Its my favority cartridge and I've taken everything from squirrels to elk and black bear with it at fairly long ranges to most and never had 1 single bit of problem with it. It just kills stuff DRT. Its just about the perfect factory dual purpose varmint/deer caliber IMO.

Stick a 100g NBT in it at 3400fps and you have a 1K varmint load.

Enjoy!!

I feel the same way Remmy. My first rifle was a 25-06. Remington 700 bdl bought in Germany at the USAF Rod & Gun club! I sold it to a buddy and he will never part with it! I will find one for sure! :mrgreen:

I think I found one... just gotta change the stock

pix961899312.jpg

I had that same ruger rifle but in a 204. After lugging it around a bit I decided I'd rather have a walking varminter and sold it and bought a CZ. Much lighter, handier, and a lot more accurate than even that heavy ruger. I like the trigger better also, that ruger model has a 2 stage target trigger I never really got use to.

Stock will be for sale and will be replaced by a sporter.

Nice rifle there POP. I"ve pondered the thought of getting one of them in a 25 many times.

I've been around 3 of them same rifles in my cousins 223, my dads 22 250, and my old 220 swift and they all are/were easily 1/2 moa shooters with there preferred loads. I actually kinda like there 2 stage trigger. To each his own though.

As to the weight, yah they are a bit heavy but you cant build a LR varmint rifle with a 26" heavy barrel and a heavy laminated wood stock and expect it to be lightweight... I packed my swift around on all day coyote hunts, then again I was 21 years old. Didn't seem to bother me to much.

Like I said it will get a new stock. I had one in 220 swift, like you. Lugging it around sucked! but it was a tackdriver!

Back