Wanting to Build a 338-06 Rifle

Corlanes / RMR do great work as I have had work done in years previous. As soon as they call me to tell me its done, I'll race to Dawson Creek to pick it up, Its about a 2hr drive for me. Their new facility is awesome. As to shipping a rifle to the USA its possible but with all the paperwork I'd say its too much of a headache. For what it would cost to ship a rifle to Rocky Mountain Rifles from Bonnyvilee would be easy and cost under $30 is my guess.

Call them and talk to Tim or Rod and they can help you out.

Got the call from my gunsmith and my 338-06AI rifle is ready. :grin: Was hoping to have taken it too moose camp a few weeks ago but oh-well. Cant rush perfection, and thats the type of work Corlanes do.

So I'll head out next week by wednesday and make a quick trip to pick it up. Its like young children on Christmas morning....anticipating/excited.

I'll post pics as soon as I get back. Already had stamped 338-06 brass and 1 box of 225gr Accubonds and 1 box of 225gr TTSX to try reloads since late July. First will be the Accubonds b/c thats all I use for my 300WM and 270WSM an d I am mor ethan happy with their performance @ the range and on big game.

JD338, thanks for all the help and input. Its greatly appreciated.

Once on hand we all want a full scale range report. :lol:

Well I picked up my new rifle this morning. First look was somethings not right. :? The entire barrel, receiver, bolt handle, trigger guard, new style Sako Optilok rings and face plate of the clip were all powder coated. 8 small flutes instead of 6, quarter inch cut flutes. Not what I had invisioned. :roll: Looks good -great job and I'll have to think about it. What I requested was powder coat the flutes gunmental grey, bead blast exposed barrel not powdercoated back to look like original stainless satin finish only.

My gunsmith said they would take care of me should I decide to go with what I requested, or sweeten the deal on whats already done. They did discount the cost of the powder coating already. They are great guys...just a misread on the workorder form.

My gunsmith said take it and shoot it. And let him know what I decide. If I go with what I wanted, I'm looking into March 2009 for a completion date by the time they get a new blank barrel, then do the work.

My buddy that was with me when I dropped the rifle off was with me when I picked it up and he likes it, but as he said---Its not what I wanted.

I'll take pics tommorrow and post and get some opinions from you guys. :wink:

Mighty Peace

Congratulations on your new rifle. Sorry to hear that you didn't get what you ordered but at least your gunsmith is willing to make good on the deal. I think either way you decide will be the right choice for you.

I'm glad that I was able to help assist you with your project. Let me know if I can offer any additional assistance.

JD338

Well here are some pictures of my Sako model 75 Grewolf 338-06 Ackley Improved with a new 24" #5 PacNor barrel, 8 flutes with the barrel, receiver, bolt, scope rings, trigger guard and entire magazine powdercoated in Gunmetal Grey to match the Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 scope mounted in the new style Sako Optilok rings. I'll take some better pics @ home with a white background as these ones I took @ work. Let me know what you think. 8)

30johlv.jpg

2howdbb.jpg

17xrax.jpg

1zyhnxw.jpg

2j46ctt.jpg

2mhzj86.jpg

Still debating on having it done the way I wanted-same barrel but have six flutes with 1/4" cut and just the flutes powdercoated with the receiver back to stainless look along with remaining part of barrel beadblasted to satin stainless finish. Or now I still might have to get the entire barrel powdercoated. I guess I'll see how this one shoots first.

Now to get some reloads made with Weatherby 338-06AS brass with 225gr Accubonds and maybe try 225gr TTSX's. Accubonds are my first choice though. Should a guy use Federal 215mag primers or stay with 210's. Now what you guys recommend for powder choices: I have H414, 4064, 4895, RL15, H380. I have others too... RL22, Varget, Winchester Supreme 780, RL22, 7828 & 7828SSC plus others I cant think of. Probably start with either H414 or RL15 from what I here. First 40 loads will be medium to almost hot to fireform cases.

Here is a pic of my Sako m75 Greywolf 300WSM just to show difference from a factory Sako m75 Greywolf with same Leupold scope.

2uprb7p.jpg

Mighty Peace

Nicely done!
Let us know how she shoots.

JD338

Wow, looks great. I like the look of the fluting. I'd shoot it before I did anything different, besides you have it for this year at least. I understand it isn't what you ordered tho, it would be disappointing. Alot of the fun in a custom is getting EXACTLY what you want.

CC.

I actually like the finished rifle. It really looks great with the scope mounted. Having said that, it only matters what you like since you are the one paying for it.

I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing your comments on how it shoots!

Awesome! Perfect elk in timber gun!...and not so 'timberish too :lol:

give us a range report.

Wow. Very nice. I have a stainless Rem 700 mtn rifle in .30-06 that I've considered having rebarreled in.338-06 some day. I'll be interested to read your range report.

First batch of reloads planned will be 225gr Accubonds with H414 loaded to 58.5grains and Federal GM 210 primers. Should be strong enough to fireform factory Weatherby 338-06AS brass or should I load a bit hotter?

Max listed and most accurate is 60.0grains from the Nosler reload manual and off the website.

Plan is to shot 1 / clean for the first 10, then shot 3/clean for the next 15 then do a couple of 5 shots/ clean to break in barrel and fireform the 40 brass I have. I also have new 30-06 nickel Remington brass but prefer to use the headstamped ones in 338-06AS.

Once that is done, I'll develope a load using H414 and I'll post all results with pics later. :grin: :mrgreen:

Back