Weatherby range certified

hunternyny

Handloader
Feb 6, 2012
since I was unable to get a reply to my question on Fotis's thread I deleted it and will try this way

1. Do you feel it is worth the money to buy the Range Certified Weatherby rifles ?

2. "on average" will the non Range Certified rifles shoot as well as the certified rifles ?

3. If, as in Fotis's case, the non range certified rifle does not shoot well, will it cost as much, or could it cost as much to "fix it" as it would have cost to buy the range certified rifle to begin with ?

thank you

hunternyny":1pit373c said:
since I was unable to get a reply to my question on Fotis's thread I deleted it and will try this way

1. Do you feel it is worth the money to buy the Range Certified Weatherby rifles ?

2. "on average" will the non Range Certified rifles shoot as well as the certified rifles ?

3. If, as in Fotis's case, the non range certified rifle does not shoot well, will it cost as much, or could it cost as much to "fix it" as it would have cost to buy the range certified rifle to begin with ?

thank you

Weatherby’s are guaranteed MOA these days. I couldn’t see paying extra for the RC guns.

I think it’s a neat marketing gimmick on their part but I can’t see there would be an incredible difference between RC and non over a few bunches of ammo fed through it. I doubt they are using different barrels or components for them. I’d assume that if it shoots a fraction better than a standard it’s labeked RC and upcharged.

MOA is a pretty good guarantee, if my plain Jane Weatherby didn’t do that I’d be okay passing it back to Paso Robles and let them fix it.

I asked something similar to this when they first started the "Range Certified" versions of the Vanguard.

At that time, they simply pulled one from the box and shot it- if it made the grade it was certified. Non-certified rifles were never tested and may shoot as good or better than the certified rifles. It may have changed now, but at the time I got that information there was nothing different about the rifle at all other than the test firing.

I would be hard pressed to pay extra for the "certified" since it's with a single load at one time. You may or may not be able to replicate it and it may (or may not) shoot better with a different bullet. I would think that if you got a real dud that wouldn't shoot anything well, Weatherby would take care of it whether you bought a certified one or not.

For what a new MkV costs...it'd better shoot regardless or Weatherby won't be making them for much longer.

Hodgeman, Scotty,

Thank you!

We have the 257, 270, 300, and 340 and never had a problem with any of them but was curious after Fotis had a problem with his--thank you for the information

hunternyny":3r6mzqtt said:
Hodgeman, Scotty,

Thank you!

We have the 257, 270, 300, and 340 and never had a problem with any of them but was curious after Fotis had a problem with his--thank you for the information

Fellas, remember both of those groups at 200 yards were, in fact, SUB-MOA, so I really could not qualify that as a "problem".

That being said I personally like sub 3/4 MOA as an acceptable comfort zone and this 257 is dying to do this, she just does not know it yet! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1 No Maybe if all you shoot is factory ammo it may be a benefit in a comfort thing.

2 Yes In my opinion I have several S2 Vanguards and they all do better than the .99MOA that Weatherby offers. Although I load all my ammo and never ran over the counter ammo in any of them.

3 Yes I believe Weatherby will take care of you if you have an issue. Now that being said I have a Accumark of the older make which at the time was 1.5MOA guarantee. It would shoot MOA but compared to my other Weatherby S2s it was disappointing. Last month I sent it off to have cut rifle barrel installed on my dime.

John,

I would not because all the weatherby's that I have ever seen or used shot MOA or better. Furthermore, I know a long range shooter who sights in customers rifles and has done so with dozens of weatherby rifles. According to him the worst of the lot would shoot .75".

By the way, a couple weekends ago I took two mark v's out to 300 yards to see where they were. Both did two shot groups which is all I do now days when making sure a rifle is hitting where I think it ought to. One did 5/8" and the other did 1 1/16". I'm good with that............. :>)

chs

This is from Wby site

What is the accuracy guarantee of my Weatherby rifle?

All Weatherby Vanguard rifles with a serial number prefix of “VB” are guaranteed to shoot a .99" or better 3-shot group at 100 yards from a cold barrel when used with premium (non-Weatherby calibers) or Weatherby factory ammunition.

All Weatherby Mark V rifles and all other Vanguard rifles with serial numbers beginning with V, VL, VS, or VX, are guaranteed to shoot a 1 ½” or better 3-shot group at 100 yards from a cold barrel when used with premium (non-Weatherby calibers) or Weatherby factory ammunition. Together, the Weatherby system (premium ammunition and rifle) forms the flattest shooting, hardest hitting, most accurate combination in the industry today.

What I have been wondering is with the move to Wyoming how long will it take new employees to become craftsmanship and turn out high quality rifles. I would be surprised if they don't have a learning curve.

One has to wonder how many of the current employees will make the move with the company. I would imagine that Weatherby would be willing to sweeten the pot simply to retain the knowledge base.

When Magpul moved from here (Co) they got pretty good package from Cheyenne and some move from here. They did grow but early last year they let go about 1/3 85 workers so you never know.

I never worked in Sheridan but town about 18K so you have to wonder about workforce. I worked in Cheyenne,Wheatland,Laramie,Rawlins,Douglas. I still get up to Wy but mostly for the fishing.

I guess they figure once you get up there your not wanting to leave.

Back